2006 RTV900 dump bed not working

ovrszd

I know that my 05 has it's own power steering reservoir that is a pain to get to down in the front end, just as the bed hydro has a separate tank. Two different pumps???

Here's clarity of the power steering system. Appears there is a separate engine mounted pump and isolated system, similar to the bed lift.

Attachments

• 20170309_100235 (1280x720).jpg
    20170309_100235 (1280x720).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 169

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Here's a diagram of the control valve and specifically the pressure relief valve. It clearly shows the position of the shim referred to in the earlier pic. Would require a visit to your dealer to obtain the necessary shims for adjustment.

That's what I said just put a pressure guage on it! :pat: thanks for clearing that up ovrszd!

ovrszd

That's what I said just put a pressure guage on it! :pat: thanks for clearing that up ovrszd!

You are welcome.

I'm still not sure of the source of the problem. Tossup between the pump and the PRV. My curiosity is peaked. First time I've ever heard of bed lift failure in an RTV.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sometimes new guys don't understand that the folks that are trying to give help do appreciate that bit of feedback.......The stars align just right and stuff happens that we never get the answer to............Cant know everything......

jdg2259

hey guys sorry for the delay... I ended up taking the buggy to a friend of mines neighbor who is a service tech for Caterpillar and he worked on it as he could in the evenings after he got off work. Long story short the pump was rebuilt and the dump bed works as it should. I didn't really get a "play by play" on how he actually diagnosed it because I was so excited I didn't have to pay $800 for a new valve or have it rebuilt. I can give him a call and see if he can give me a run down of what he did before finding out the pump was junk if you guys want that. I do know he was able to rebuild the pump which saved quite a bit of money too.

I do want to thank everyone on this FORUM for their input and would like to say that it has truly been one of the most helpful websites I have ever encountered. You guys should all pat yourselves on the back and if there was a way to buy you all a beer I certainly would... hell I'd buy you all a few beers!! Thank you again - all of you.

Last edited:

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
hey guys sorry for the delay... I ended up taking the buggy to a friend of mines neighbor who is a service tech for Caterpillar and he worked on it as he could in the evenings after he got off work. Long story short the pump was rebuilt and the dump bed works as it should. I didn't really get a "play by play" on how he actually diagnosed it because I was so excited I didn't have to pay $800 for a new valve or have it rebuilt. I can give him a call and see if he can give me a run down of what he did before finding out the pump was junk if you guys want that. I do know he was able to rebuild the pump which saved quite a bit of money too.

I do want to thank everyone on this FORUM for their input and would like to say that it has truly been one of the most helpful websites I have ever encountered. You guys should all pat yourselves on the back and if there was a way to buy you all a beer I certainly would... hell I'd buy you all a few beers!! Thank you again - all of you.

Hey thats awesome! Congrats on the repair, its always handy to have a moonlight mechanic handy! Good luck with your buggy and enjoy the convenience of Hydraulic dumping!

ovrszd

Glad it's working!!!!! Also glad you saved money getting it fixed!!!

So, my guess is the splitter was improperly used and heated the system to the point of scoring the pump gears and case. Similar to what happened to my system failure on a different piece of equipment.

The tolerances within the pump case are very critical, obviously.

Good information on this thread. It will be used as a reference for future owners with a similar problem.

Thank you very much for posting the update. If you learn any other information that you think would be helpful please come back and post an update!!!! :)

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Glad you got it going. Time to do some real work now. Never heard of your problem; but you went to the right expert and got it fixed. For me, USE THE KUBOTA SUPER DUTY 2 stuff for sure and who knows what the fella did. lol....God is good and HE knows....Dennis

ovrszd

It appears the pump was deadheaded against a load that held a PRV open. This created extreme heat which started destroying things

Would have been interesting to know the fluid temp right before failure!!!

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Surely NOT an EXPERT on most anything that comes up on this forum, I just did a bit of research on what causes hydraulic pump failure. It seems from 3 different articles from pump experts, that the most common cause is fluid contamination or the wrong type of fluid itself. Many of us in the past have advised the use of Kubota Super Duty 2 fluid in the various hydro systems on the RTV for years now.......This could very well be an extreme example as to why to do this and to do regular timely maintenance..........

One of the articles is:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29541/hydraulic-pump-failures

Causes of Hydraulic Pump Failures

Noria Corporation&
Tags: hydraulics
"What could be the reason for a hydraulic pump failure and how can we prevent such failures in the future?"
A hydraulic pump failure can be caused by a number of factors. There are several different types of pumps available on the market, and each can have its own specific failure mode. Of course, certain failure modes are common to all types of pumps. Some of these failures can be caused by poor system design, using low-quality fluids and/or poor contamination control.
The best way to prevent future failures is to ensure that you are using quality hydraulic fluids. Keep in mind that the fluid is the single most important component of a hydraulic system, so always use high-quality hydraulic fluids with the correct viscosity.
Hydraulic fluids should also be kept clean, cool and dry. This is highly important. One of the ways you can do this is through quality filtration. Filters should be selected only if they achieve the target cleanliness levels that have been set for the fluid in the system. Also, use quality filters in locations that assure the required protection and upgrade the filters when necessary.
In addition, consider the possibility of using offline filters, because the cost of removing dirt is often much less in an offline mode than trying to do everything in a pressure-line filter location on the hydraulic system.
It is estimated that between 70 to 80 percent of hydraulic system failures are from contamination, with particle contamination making up the largest portion. Therefore, it is best practice to regularly perform oil analysis with particle counts.
Remember, the hydraulic pump is generally the most expensive component on a hydraulic system. It has the highest reliability risk, the highest contaminant sensitivity risk and the ability to cause chain-reaction failures. In other words, when the pump starts to fail, it starts to kick out debris into a debris field downstream of the pump. If there is not a good filter downstream, this debris moves on to other components like valves and actuators, and can lead to damage in those components as well.
Be wary of quick-fix solutions like switching to costly synthetics and expensive filtration systems. Instead, provide solutions to the problems that exist. It is critical to set the proper cleanliness and dryness targets and to develop contamination control procedures that will allow you to meet those targets. By doing so, you should greatly reduce and possibly eliminate your pump failures.

ovrszd

I agree fluid type is important.

No way I'll be convinced that having the wrong fluid caused it to get so hot it melted the plastic tank. Someone will have to explain that to me.

Contaminated fluid would have likely ruined all components including cylinder seals.

His heat was caused by prolonged extreme pressure bypassing in the system. Nothing else, including fluid type will cause that.

I claim no EXPERT status. Just applying logic. :)

Boxcarman

RTV engine oil

Getting around to changing oil in my new to me 900 RTV. Since it has a diesel engine in it isn't there an SAE code letter on the oil container that tells you if it's diesel approved. I believe the letter is "C", but I'm not sure. If I would run a 10w-30 diesel approved synthetic oil would that be good enough? Is Mobil 1 diesel approved? BCM

ovrszd

Getting around to changing oil in my new to me 900 RTV. Since it has a diesel engine in it isn't there an SAE code letter on the oil container that tells you if it's diesel approved. I believe the letter is "C", but I'm not sure. If I would run a 10w-30 diesel approved synthetic oil would that be good enough? Is Mobil 1 diesel approved? BCM

Answered your other thread. :)