Any Grading Driveway/Arena tricks?

way0utwest

I've got a 1/4 mile driveway that has decent amount of run-off on one side and has gotten a little torn up on the edges, with a little washboarding.

Is there anyone that has some good tips/techniques/guides on how to grade a driveway with a blade, or with other tools? Is a box blade better?

My wife's horse arena also has gotten a little washboarded in places as her arena rascal (a 5 tooth tool that is supposed to grade), has moved dirt into furrows that have dried hard. The rear blade on the tractor doesn't do well in smoothing because of the up and down action ont he front wheels. Any ideas for smoothing this out?

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Box blade is the only way to go unless you invest in one of the fancy grader attachments and they are sorta isolated to that kind of work. With a box blade you can do so much more besides driveway work.

Rip the driveway with the scarcifiers set at the shallowest setting and then remove the scarcifiers and blade it true.

In my opinion, there is NOTHING better for removing wash-boarding than a grader-planer type of blade. (pictured) Also for maintaining a road this grader type of blade works the best, easiest and fastest. Each type of implement has its intended purpose and works the best for that use. They may work for many other uses, but each one will excel at its intended use.

I have grader-planer type of blades, rear blades, roll-over box blades and a landscape rake. All have their particular intended use, and all will work for maintaining a road, but the grader-planer type of blade excels in road maintenance. There are special implements intended for horse arenas, you might search for horse arena grooming implements and see how many that you come up with. Here is one that is made and sold up in Oregon.

Attachments

• P4190015.JPG
    P4190015.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 6,931
  • PC290001.JPG
    PC290001.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 3,204
  • PC290007.JPG
    PC290007.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,518
  • IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG