Transmission fluid gauge

elkhound

Site Supporter
Last September i bought a 2001 Kubota L3000DT. In January i had the transmission fluid changed and the strainer type filter cleaned. There is a gauge on the left side of the transmission to show the fluid level. It's just a clear circle that the book says if the fluid is showing between 1/4 of the way up to nearly the top with just a small air pocket its considered in the normal or safe operating range.

My question is with the warmer spring like days the air pocket is getting smaller and smaller. I figure the fluid is expanding. If the air pocket disappears should i drain a little more fluid out?

Kanook

I have the same site glass on one of my Kubotas...a F3030...I think the main reason for keeping the air bubble visable is so that you are assured that you are looking at the fluid level top and not just into the fluid as would be the case if it were too full. On mine... at least... peering into the glass of an over filled transmission looks very much like peering into an under filled one where the fluid top is below the glass. keeping the fluid between the top and bottom of glass ensures you are actually seeing the actual fluid level. In other words if it gets above the top of the glass you might think that you are in need of a top-up (because you can't see the bubble) and as result over fill the transmission...Short answer ....drain a little to keep the bubble visable.

Brutus

I wouldn't drain any. Otherwise, you'll be adding/draining/adding.... to compensate for temp variations. If the level drops out of the sight glass, you'll see a nearly white color as the glass has a back to it that looks like aluminum. You're just looking into a little chamber where the glass is.