Loaded tires

moo2613

Well, a pleasant surprise. The DK55 I bought has loaded tires. How do I determine what they are loaded with? Lools like a fairly clear liquid. I only found out when I tried to put some air in the back tires and got bubbles and some fluid. Also, I have the industrial tires, how much extra weight should I expect from the loading? Thanks in advance.

FTG-05

Where are you located?

- US Siberia (aka MI, WI, MN, ND etc. etc. etc) - probably methanol, beet juice or RV antrfreeze.

- US South of KY, probably water.

Take some out, put it in a five gallon bucket. Throw a lighted match into it.

If the match goes out, it's probably water. If there is a huge explosion and the next thing you hear are harps (or banjos if you ended up at the other place), it was probably methanol.

There's probably other ways of finding out what it is, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help out.

Good luck!

PS: Don't do the lighted match trick, it's just humor, in case you couldn't tell.....

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have industrials on my little 30hp bota. I 'think' they said that comes out to 750 per tire. My memory is far from perfect so it might have been 750 total.
The liquids come out to about 8 pounds per gallon. (they used window washer fluid)
So your 55hp machine might be 1000 per tire.

To air em up just move till the valve is at the top.

Edit to say I think my memory sucks. It must have been 750 for both tires. So you might have 1000 added to your machine. My tractor only weighs 2900 by itself. No way would the loaded tires add 33% more to the weight.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you have beet juice or rim guard, I believe it has a reddish tint.

IIRC, Calcium is yellowish. I hope you don't have this because it's really corrosive.

If it's clear, it's probably a water mix. Alcohol or Windshield Wiper fluid is added to keep it from freezing. Depending on your climate, you may want to drain out a little and test it for freeze point. If you don't have one already, I'd start the testing using a regular antifreeze tester that you can pick up at any auto store for a few bucks.

As for weight, but not knowing what you have as the liquid ballast...
Here's a chart for weight using Rimguard (beet juice, which is heavier than water)
http://www.rimguard.biz/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Hydro-Flation-tables-2014-PDF.pdf

Best as I can tell, you have rear tire size of 17.5x24/8
On the chart, that says 55 gallons, 589# per tire using 75% fill level.

Normally, tires are filled to approx. the top of the rim.

To figure out your fill level, just look at your tires when there's high humidity or a quick change in temperature. On the outside of the tire, you'll get a dew line at the level it's filled. If you don't want to wait for such weather, use about a 1-pound (normal carpenter's) hammer and starting at the top/center, rap on it. It will sound hollow. Then work your way down one side until that hollow sound is gone. That will give you a good estimate.

If you don't already have one, consider getting a tire pressure gauge that's for low pressures and liquid. A regular one can't give accurate readings at low pressure and the liquid can ruin normal gauges.

moo2613

Thank you. It seemed to be clear, but it left a film on my fingers. I am located in SW Arkansas and the tractor came from the Dallas area, so hopefully windshield washer fluid and not Calcium. Thank you for all of the excellent information, I will get a low pressure / liquid tire gauge.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like windshield wiper fluid which has been become quite popular the last 10 years or so. My DK45 has 55gal of wwf in each rear, approximately 400# a tire.