Big Sky Gun Rack Installation

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hey and good mornin to ALL.........My wife did me right and got me a buncha good stuff for Christmas.......Among this stuff and I emphasize stuff, as God's blessing this year was a couple of days ago an F3 went through the other side of the county with barely a riffle through our forest.............Anyway, she got me a Big Sky Gun rack and a new 22 LR as kind of a throw away to keep in the RTV full time.......I say throw away cause it will stay there and be used for squirrels, etc.

So....A couple of questions........What do you spray your weapons down with that are permanently out in the weather like this?????............Yes, the RTV is parked in the barn and even when out in rain the interior of the RTV is pretty dry......But I do want to prevent rust etc. from taking root if possible...............

Next thing and right now most important:
Do you mount the Big SKY overhead or behind back just above the seat?

She got me the kind that you bolt into something instead of the one that goes around the ROP.........What do you bolt into????????

Is the ROP style easier and better????????

Anyway, as always YOUR thoughts are valued......thanks guys.....God bless......Dennis

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
This is ours.
Notice the zip tie on the end of the "foamy" .... DO IT !!! We use big guns, or should I say, heavy guns, sniper rifles, and inserting into sometimes pulls the foamy back. No big deal.
That was a super gift you got.

The gun oils, I use several. Give me time to go find, and I'll post !!!!

...... jamie

Post Script:
I use the Mad Dog Scabard behind me for the "hog rifle". That's what stays in ours.

Attachments

• A rack 1.jpg
    A rack 1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 462
  • a rack 2.jpg
    a rack 2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 458
  • Mad Dog Gun Scabbard.jpg
    Mad Dog Gun Scabbard.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 458

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Ok Dennis,
Found you answer on the gun oil thingy. Knew I have a bottle / can in every gun vault on the place.

DE AQUA LUBE
from Baton Rouge Industries, I would suggest this before anything. Use this religiously !!!
Use it on ALL MY WEAPONS. Expecially my duck hunting guns. And severe weather weapons.
This stuff is something. IT REALLY WORKS like no other oil.
What is done most of my weapons. In the winter time, take off wood or synthetic stock parts. Heat up gun with a heat lamp, get really HOT, and spray on and let the metal cool off with this stuff on it. Do it about three to four times. This will get the oil deep inside the meal.
In the summer time, strip weapon and put on table in behind shop, let sun heat it up, it will get so hot that you can't touch it . Spray weapon down several times with this oil and let cool !!!
http://batonrougeindustries.com/

Listed as: C-139
Call that company and get yourself a few cans. There is a rep close by if you need me to pick you up some, just let me know !!!

Knew it was "Mil" something and a 1 >>>>
MILITEC-1
http://www.militec1.com/
Used it for years.
AMSOIL
MP - Heavy Duty
Good Oil >>>
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1136.pdf

FLUID FILM is good !
Used it on many things, but never a weapon.

Attachments

• Auqa Lube.jpg
    Auqa Lube.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:

vintovka

Really nice set up!!! I'd Need to wear seat belt all the time to avoid bent barrels. My rack cost .50 at flea market and as i said before poor old squirellbane the .410 was free. I obviously choose duct tape for all my preservation needs.

Attachments

• 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 447

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
As always, good information and ideas. Jamie, thanks for the time and trouble to get those pics posted and especially the information about the oils and lubricants.

Really dont know what to do about the Big Sky mounting situation. My top is one of the black plastic types and I really hate to drill through it to use the type of mounts that you have Jamie. The Big Sky web sight has pictures of clamps that attach to the ROPS and wonder if they are specifially made to fit the RTV..........Perhaps today, a dealer will be open or somebody will come through with thoughts about this...............

Am ordering a large container of the fluid film and the one in Baton Rouge.........Thanks guys.......God bless.....Dennis

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Really dont know what to do about the Big Sky mounting situation.

I seen where bczoom had some sort of ROPS clamps once that he said he used. Also, my dealer give me a package of Kubota clamps that is used on Front glass windshields.
Don't know if they will work, but we will try. I will look and see if I still have any. If not, Curtis cab company or some other companys like Essex Manufacturing should have something. But I will go out in my shop today and look, and will give you a answer
come sundown !!!!!

....... jamie

XTROOPER

Dennis

When I was in the State Police we had a real problem with blued shotguns in the cruiser all the time and rusting. It was really bad because I worked in New England and the cloth gun cases were on the floor and they tended to suck up all the melted snow and road salt.

We got the shotguns off of the floor and started to use a good quality car wax on the metal parts, not gun oil. That seems to work well. I use something like Mothers car wax on my .22 over 20 gauge I keep in the RTV 1100 year round. I always felt that gun oil didn't seem to do a very good job. I would not use the car wax on a parkerized finish.

Good luck

XTROOPER

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dennis,

I'll throw in a 2nd or 3rd vote for the fluid film. You mentioned getting the "large container" of it. If that's the gallon jug, that will be too thick for a gun. I apply that stuff with a paint brush. I'd recommend the spray.

The clamps 2guns mentioned that I use are called O-Clamps. A google search will show them (and places to buy). I've also used regular 2" muffler clamps around the ROPS if that's an alternative for you.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
.... ok Dennis, We are in Business !!!

This is what I have, and your welcome to it if you can use !!!!

One pic shows the brackets, and how they would sit on the square tubing, with other going to ROPS bar. The yellow cattle hot shot rod represents the square tubing on the Big Sky Rack

Another pic shows a actual picture on where you would place bracket onto the square tubing ....

And a pic showing what they where used for on the front window.

Hope this helps.
If you need, just PM your telephone number and address !!!! I will have it headed your way.
This will work !!!!

Attachments

• Rack 1.jpg
    Rack 1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 417
  • rack 2.jpg
    rack 2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 415
  • rack 3.jpg
    rack 3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 417

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
OK.......Got it installed with you guy's help and thoughts......A couple of years ago we got some loom clamps to install wiring bundles when installing an overhead switch....SO....applied your thinking and guidance.....:

The Big Sky rack is PERFECT for ME.......Wife did fantastic so I took her and the actual owners for a trial ride up to the top of the hill...........NO vibrations and stays totally in place but can get it ready to rock and roll in just a moment......YES, have a lock to insert into the chamber for safe keeping in place.........NOW to get some oil and eyeball some varmits on our 1/2 mile ride to the barn a couple times a day.........God bless...........no......GOD IS GOOD.........Dennis

Attachments

• Gun Rack to use.jpg
    Gun Rack to use.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 401
  • Bolts to use.jpg
    Bolts to use.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 398
  • RTV to use.jpg
    RTV to use.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 393
  • Clamp to use.jpg
    Clamp to use.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 391

DeereOrange

Gun Rack

CLP (Clean Lube Protect) is USMC's all around stuff. Comes in a spray can so just pull it out and give your .22 a good squirt every now and then. Store a simple .22 bore rope in a ziplock baggy squirted as needed and pull it through the barrel every now then. You want to avoid a lubricant/oil that would attract dust to the otherwise moist, oily surface avoid WD40. We live it a different world now so please call your State AG's office as leaving a firearm "unsecured" and or "unattended" in the barn may be a criminal offense in your state (even if on your property) and if it were stolen and used in a crime you may be held accountable. Finally, plenty of terrible reports of gun rack discharges so remember DO NOT HAVE A ROUND CHAMBERED when it is in the rack as the movement of the vehicle or someone entering (at head level) closing the RTV door or just accidentally brushing the trigger could cause the firing pin to drop, especially common is inexpensive guns. A free chamber cable from your local PD is a great way to always ensure that cannot happen.

vintovka

DO NOT HAVE A ROUND CHAMBERED when it is in the rack as the movement of the vehicle or someone entering (at head level) closing the RTV door or just accidentally brushing the trigger could cause the firing pin to drop, especially common is inexpensive guns. A free chamber cable from your local PD is a great way to always ensure that cannot happen.

Excellent point. I remember all the ADs from pulling a gun out of a vehicle. FWIW Old squirellbane is always unloaded and racked with the bolt open. The magazine doesnt work so i keep the extra shells between my fingers for multiple vermin attacks

razerface

I use silicone spray. We shoot trap sometimes. I won't tell you how much money I have in my trap guns,,,,,but we shoot in rain too. I spray them down with silicone spray which puts a coating on the metal. Rain runs right off.

FTG-05

I've got a rifle rack mounted on both my Kubota L4330 and my RTV 900, but alas no pics of the RTV mount, tomorrow maybe!

Here's pics of the L4330 rifle rack:

IMG_20150309_173913123%20Large_zpsp3hfqdvc.jpg

IMG_20150319_120651881%20Large_zpstvhyg4cm.jpg