new rear shocks for rtv 900

Mark.Sibole

IN actuality car shocks arnt much cheaper.Just bite the bullet and buy the proper shocks for it.I dont know if your are missing or bad but my 04 shocks are still working fine and i have over loaded them on way to many occasions.

NTKimi

ok, thanks for the advice. I will reuse the old shocks until a better alternative comes along. I just thought since I am replacing the rear axles I would replace the worn out shocks in the process.

Fitch

ok, thanks for the advice. I will reuse the old shocks until a better alternative comes along. I just thought since I am replacing the rear axles I would replace the worn out shocks in the process.

You're replacing rear axles? Now that's something I'd be interested to hear about. What happened?

Fitch

NTKimi

I am not the most gifted mechanicwise but i did google "how to replace rear u joints" on google and found this forum. There was a post or two i found that had step by step advice on breaking down the rear axles and i followed it. I am waiting on the bearings and seals to come in so i can reassemble. I went ahead and bought completely knew axles that have grease fittings as mine were in bad shape(my machine sqeaked for years before i did anything. Like i said, i am no mechanic. My kubota dealer is not someone i want to do business with so i took this project on with little knowledge of what a u joint even is. I sure do now and feel good about my new found knowledge. When easter is over and i have sometime i can post about the whole ordeal. I took pictures along the way.

Fitch

Looking forward to reading your post and seeing the pictures of your experience. I haven't done it yet so I go for any knowledge I can find.

Fitch

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
NTKimi,

From what I can tell from looking at illustrated parts diagrams, your method of replacing u-joints by replacing the whole axle assembly should be very simple. The most work would be removal and installation of the outer axles, that if you are doing so.

Please do keep us posted.

Fitch

I am not the most gifted mechanicwise but i did google "how to replace rear u joints" on google and found this forum. There was a post or two i found that had step by step advice on breaking down the rear axles and i followed it. I am waiting on the bearings and seals to come in so i can reassemble. I went ahead and bought completely knew axles that have grease fittings as mine were in bad shape(my machine sqeaked for years before i did anything. Like i said, i am no mechanic. My kubota dealer is not someone i want to do business with so i took this project on with little knowledge of what a u joint even is. I sure do now and feel good about my new found knowledge. When easter is over and i have sometime i can post about the whole ordeal. I took pictures along the way.

Be sure to replace any seals that are disturbed even if they 'look' new. Replace any circlips that you have to remove. Also make sure you get some grease into that outer housing.

Fitch