Kubota rtv900 won't start

Johnschwent

Hi I need help my kubota rtv900 won't start lights come on horn works but that is it won't even try to fire any ideals
Thanks in advance

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It sounds like it's not in neutral good,but there is a switch that is suppose to prevent it from cranking in gear, . It's on top of the transmission ( at least on my on my "05.) With the bed up, you might try shifting gears and locating it where the shifting arm is. If I remember right, there is a small horizontal soup can looking thing there and this plug type switch is close by. They go bad sometimes. The is also a starter relay that might need checking. I think it's location is on the fuse cover box. Is the starter doing anything at all? bordercollie

Johnschwent

The kubota rolls easy so it is in neutral. Is there any way to test the safety switch or bypass to test it to see if that is it
Thanks John

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
Along the lines of what BC was saying, it may truly be in neutral but the switch may not know it. If you lift your bed and wiggle your shifter, you can see which linkage is in play and the corresponding switch. Make sure that switch is set correctly when in neutral. If you move it into gear, I believe you can get your hand on the switch and depress it. Make sure you hear a clicking noise. Hold it in and have someone try to start it.

When you turn your key on (but not to "start"), do you hear the fuel soleniod clicking on?

Johnschwent

You can here the fuel Solniod is clicking
I am testing wires now the third wire on the starter the one that clips in should that one be hot

Johnschwent

I took the switch off the top of the transmission the one under the linkage it has a ball bearing in it held the ball bearing in and nothing

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'll go look at mine . In the mean time, how is your key switch? Has it been wet a lot, and what year model do you have? Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It could be a number of things according to the manual:the slow blow fuse could be blown,the safety switch -which you have checked, wiring problem- disconnected , the starter or the key switch.Then there It also says it could be the timer relay or engine stop solenoid.I got this from the trouble shooting part of the manual. If it were me I would make sure the battery has a full charge first. There is a way to test these things and I can send it to you if necessary. I have to go but will be back about lunch. Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
To test safety switch 1. remove safety switch leads.
2.connect the circuit tester to the safety switch leads
3. measure resistance between the leads.
4. If defective then replace.
Resistance across the switch terminal: When you move the gear shift lever... infinity
When you return the gear shift lever.. 0^ I can send you a copy of what ever you want to see about testing different components. let me know. bordercollie

Johnschwent

Ok I have power all the way to the solenoid on the starter still nothing took the starter to napa they said it is good. Jumped the starter direct from the battery still nothing. That make me think it is the starter. But napa says nothing is wrong with it and kubota wants 500.00 for one what do you guys think
Thanks John

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ok I have power all the way to the solenoid on the starter still nothing took the starter to napa they said it is good. Jumped the starter direct from the battery still nothing. That make me think it is the starter. But napa says nothing is wrong with it and kubota wants 500.00 for one what do you guys think
Thanks John

Hang on John, I need to send you a copy of how to check the starter from the manual.But, I will first try to relay the test according to the manual:
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
2.Disconnect the positive cable from the battery and the leads from the starter.
3. Remove starter from engine
4.Disconnect the connecting lead from the starter terminal( that's the bolt sticking out one)
5Connect a jumper lead from the connecting lead that you took off the sticking out bolt,to the battery positive terminal post.
6.Connect a jumper lead momentarily between the starter motor housing and the battery negative terminal post.
By the way, I have seen starters on ebay much more reasonable . Also, you can rebuild the one you have if anything is wrong with it. There is another test that can be done on the magnetic switch of the starter. I will try to scan this and send it to you through the forum contact info to make sure the way I interpreted it is correct. Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I just keep coming back to the battery since Napa did the starter check on their system. Did you check it with the RTV battery? If so, I would try another battery. I had a similar experience on the diesel Caterpillar skid steer. It cranked and ran fine and then 30 minutes later it would not turn over- not even a whine. The lights came on and the horn would blow too. And all the checker lights would light. The battery went bad just like that and just didn't have the voltage necessary to turn the starter. A new battery and I was in business! I had tried to charge the old battery but it didn't have the volts necessary to turn the starter although it would charge some. That battery was 5 yrs old too. ( I'm having trouble resizing the pdf on the starter but will keep trying.) Bordercollie

Last edited:

Kanook

I am getting 12 volts to the stater when I turn the key

Is the casing of the starter grounded to frame ground...because if the starter is tested good and there is 12vdc at the hot terminal of the starter when key is in start position....you are looking at a grounding issue...unless the problem description is misunderstood on my part...

Kanook

I was just looking at the schematic for the start circuit...There is a safety switch (presumably for the Neutral transmission position) but it also shows 2 hydraulic safety switches in the circuit as well if it is a turf model "only".

My previous post is wrong...12vdc is always present to the starter (same as on a car or truck). It shows the start relay picks through the safety switch and the hydraulic lever switch.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
How to test the starter according to the manual.... Moderator please delete this is there is a problem with posting it. Thanks, bordercollie

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 245

Johnschwent

Thanks for all your help. I took apart the starter it had gotten wet I rebuilt it and it works fine now. I don't know how they test the starters but it wouldn't do anything for me till I rebuilt it
Thanks again everyone
John

Kanook

Thanks for closing the loop Johnschwent....Too often after advice (good or not) in regards to a problem never gets rewarded with a report on the resolution.