Replacement Battery for RTV 900

TRIBUTE100

I'm one of these who doesn't like to let my batteries get too old even though they seem to be working OK. So the original battery in my 2010 RTV 900 is about 5 years old. I have had no problems, but decided to research to see what I could replace it with something bigger and better than OEM.

I just recently replaced the battery on my Chevy 2500HD 4WD 496 CI gas engine with a Auto Zone Duralast Platinum AGM Battery and there was a noticeable difference in the cold starting power compared to the standard lead acid battery.

The bottom of my RTV 900 battery compartment measures 9" long X 7 7/8" wide. The OEM battery, a group 26R size, is mounted with both terminals towards the back of the machine, negative terminal to the outside. Auto Zone has an AGM platinum battery that will fit in that compartment, but will require a few modifications. I don't believe the anchor bracket will work and the terminals will be in a different position because the battery will have to be turned 90 degrees from the OEM style. The cable coming from the alternator may have to be re-routed.

I went by Auto Zone today and measured the battery which turned out to be different than the specs:
Length: 8 3/4"
Width: 6 1/2"
Height: 7 3/4" (including terminals)

The AGM battery has 680CCA compared to the 540CCA on the OEM, in addition to the other advantages, One being the ability to run electrical accessories longer without the engine running. The link below list the advantages and the specs.
The big minus is the cost: $174 with exchange

Any comments would be appreciated.

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...alast-platinum-battery/377104_919480_0_46205/

Mark.Sibole

Ill have to check the replacement i have on mine.I replaced mine 4 years ago as the oem battery was pretty much shot.I picked up one at autozone that fir right in and i believe had a bigger cca.Ill check it tomorrow and see what I put in there.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Back when I had my '05, I had my RTV battery die on me. I also had an old truck battery so I opted to put the new battery on my compact truck (94 Toyota) and put it's old one on my RTV. I had to do some changing on the mounting ( used all thread)but it did fine till I sold it.
Last month, I bought a new Excide (5 year)brand 26 for this "2011 ". I had to have it right then with all the cow work this time of year. It was 110$ for a little mom and pop store close to me.
Now, I inherited a NAPA Premium 84 month battery that my Mama had just bought for her Crown Vic in Jan of 2012. I think it was a 65 series. It went bad last month and the replacement was based on a 129$ original cost... the replacement cost was $56. I was thinking you may wish to check with NAPA for a price too... ( I did test personally my old 2011 battery and the tester "said" it had bad cells).
All of the jarring around is hard on light made batteries from what I hear, but my experience has been good. Your battery could still last a good while. collie

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Just saying, you might want to consider Interstate batteries as well. I understand they rotate their old batteries off the shelf with new ones. You can find these batteries at some auto parts stores. I needed a battery for my J-D diesel FEL and the dealer was able to find a model of the right size and lots of CCA, and with the +,- posts in the correct position for my application.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Keifer has a good point.
I would also check that little sticker on the side of the battery you get. It will have a letter for the month followed by 2 numbers for the year.. That way you won't get an old battery off of the shelf - that number is what the warranty is from. unless you can prove purchase with a receipt.. collie

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Just saying, you might want to consider Interstate batteries as well. I understand they rotate their old batteries off the shelf with new ones. You can find these batteries at some auto parts stores. I needed a battery for my J-D diesel FEL and the dealer was able to find a model of the right size and lots of CCA, and with the +,- posts in the correct position for my application.

We have an Interstate dealer in town. If you have one locally ask about their blems. Usually just a mark in the plastic but they'll discount them a fair bit from retail. Just put one in my daughter-in-laws truck.

They are usually a darn good battery also.

ob

Fitch

The maintenance free OEM battery that came with my 2004 RTV lasted 7 years before the cranking speed dropped. That's phenomenal service life. I know a good thing when I see it; I went to the dealer and bought another one just like it. The new one is going strong. It will be 4 years old in July.

Fitch

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That was a great battery Fitch, I think Zoom has you beat on the longest living oem battery though ;) He or someone on here has been going on an oem for 10 years.. . I fall short. my Kubota oem zonked at 3 years and 5 month. I do give them a lot of bumps and bruising though. Oh... me... thinking about those cotton fields and cattle ruts are making my neck hurt right now. :tiphat: collie

sjcolu

I have a 2004 RTV with the original battery still going strong. It has 986 hours on it and still just as strong as the day I purchased it new. Although now I have been through two complete sets of ujoints but the battery is now goin strong.

Fitch

I have a 2004 RTV with the original battery still going strong. It has 986 hours on it and still just as strong as the day I purchased it new. Although now I have been through two complete sets of ujoints but the battery is now goin strong.

W O W ! Now 'that's' a battery and a half!

I'm at 2,039 hours on the original U-joints on my '04, but I jack up the rear and check them for looseness every oil change because I know that's coming.

In addition to the battery, I've had to replace the front drive shaft (upgraded to the one piece), the front CV joint boots, the right front headlight bulb, tail gate and both sides of the box, and both tail lights (free from the dealer). I've also had to cut off and replace the sheet metal in the bed (horse manure rotted it, the tail gate and both bed sides), and reupholster the seat twice. The dealer had a box of stock tail lights that had been taken off when turn signals were installed. He gave me two of them to get rid of them.

Fitch

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Around here the interstate batteries are a good bit higher in price but come with a 2 year free replacement. I had one to go bad in my car and took it back and they gave me a new one. The guy at parts store said if I had waited 3 more days the warranty would have been gone. That was a close one!

Fitch

Around here the interstate batteries are a good bit higher in price but come with a 2 year free replacement. I had one to go bad in my car and took it back and they gave me a new one. The guy at parts store said if I had waited 3 more days the warranty would have been gone. That was a close one!

Interstate batteries are okay, average, nothing special. They need the warranty service or they wouldn't sell any. I put a new Interstate in my 2002 Jeep, March 2014. It replaced an Interstate that was five and a half years old. I just replaced the March 2014 battery last week, under warranty, eleven months later. I've never had one last more than a few months past the warranty period.

The battery that lasted eleven months was pristine. Tight terminals with zero terminal corrosion, clean, electrolyte level perfect, but it had degraded from 875 CA to a measured 275 CA. It would barely turn the Jeep over. The new one measured 890CA before I installed it.

I'm tempted to see if the company that made the battery Kubota put in my RTV makes one that would fit the Jeep.

Fitch

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
My 2005 OEM battery is still going and has been run dead from the key being on twice. I have had good luck with NAPA legend batteries in my skid steer, tractor and plow truck. I buy the interstate blems for the Amish and they like them.

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
I wonder how many manufactorers there are for batteries. Could be like the oil and air filter world. Just two or three companies make filters.
Fitch, I have been buying the exide batteries when replacing them lately. After not having too much luck with the interstate why pay their price. The best battery I ever had was a delco voyager marine battery. It lasted ten years or more but I cant find them anywhere now.

Fitch

I wonder how many manufactorers there are for batteries. Could be like the oil and air filter world. Just two or three companies make filters.
Fitch, I have been buying the exide batteries when replacing them lately. After not having too much luck with the interstate why pay their price. The best battery I ever had was a delco voyager marine battery. It lasted ten years or more but I cant find them anywhere now.

I don't know how many companies make lead acid batteries.

I do know that EastPenn Manufacturing built the OEM battery that was in my RTV and they built the replacement. The brand name is Deka. They do make a battery for everything I own that has one. The warranty on them is short, 30 months compared to 60 on the Interstate.

If I need a battery in a hurry, Interstate is fast and convenient to get. The farm machinery repair shop about a mile down the road is an Interstate dealer.

Fitch

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I am needing a new battery also. It is for my 05 which is still using the original; but it's days are numbered. Each time my wife goes to start it with the cold , 20 or so, she has to jump it. Guess who hears about that......SO can anyone post the exact type and specs for our batteries??????............Mine has NOTHING. The only thing on the whole thing, besides dirt and dust is "Deka"..........Any help would be great as I really don't want to lug the old one around shopping for new, when I could possibly call instead.........THANKS........God bless.......Dennis

Fitch

I am needing a new battery also. It is for my 05 which is still using the original; but it's days are numbered. Each time my wife goes to start it with the cold , 20 or so, she has to jump it. Guess who hears about that......SO can anyone post the exact type and specs for our batteries??????............Mine has NOTHING. The only thing on the whole thing, besides dirt and dust is "Deka"..........Any help would be great as I really don't want to lug the old one around shopping for new, when I could possibly call instead.........THANKS........God bless.......Dennis

I'll see if I can read anything on mine tomorrow morning. Edited to add: This thread which has good information. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15535

Fitch

Mark.Sibole

Tomorrow ill kook harder on what I replaced mine with.It was getting late after i was looking on info on the coast valve.I still need the instructions on how to adjust it.I also learned what helps a lot on batteries a ton(learned from deep cycle batteries on the boat.If you keep it parked for a while invest in a bood batter maintainer that has the desuffate option on it.Or buy a good battery charger that has the desulfate option as well as the equalize cell option.It can be used for all of your 12 volt batteries.I personally own both .The auto value battery is 4.5 years old and on the days it was 20 below zero in the mornings the Kubota fired right up for me even with the head lights on.
Tomorrow ill try to get more info on the battery I couldnt get a good view with the bed down due to a load of firewood in it.