Howdy!

Black is the easiest color to keep up by far. Both of my trailers are black, my grapple is black, my backhoe bucket is black... and 3 of my 4 FEL buckets are black (soon to be 4 out of 4). I go through Rustoleum black paint like it's going out of style... but everything always looks like brand new! :thumb:

Dougster
Dougster,
I just might have to do that. It makes sense. I'd like to see some pics of those buckets! Did you strip all of the buckets or does Rustoleum do the job over paint?

Mud

rback33

Holy Cow. I hear ya about the moisture. We have had about 80% of our normal snow for the year already PLUS the ice. I bet Doug knows something about AutoCad (which I DON'T have on my computer) I should have emailed him the measurements and let HIM make the scale drawing I just did by hand. All the ice destroyed all the electric fence that was keeping my horses in and I am going to go back and put in REAL, four strand barbless fence finally. I have to decide where I am putting gates, how many more t-posts I need plus how many rods of wire to buy. It's been a LOT of work, but not NEAR as much as BUILDING the fence.:bangin: On the bright side... materials are basically a late Christmas gift...:mrgreen: Gonna have to borrow a tractor and get my Dad's PHD on it though....

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster,
I just might have to do that. It makes sense. I'd like to see some pics of those buckets! Did you strip all of the buckets or does Rustoleum do the job over paint?
Mud
Hey Mud - Everything but the original KMW/Mahindra 72" light-duty FEL bucket already came in black... so all I've done is touch-up the paint and/or powdercoat on them as needed. I'm holding off on repainting the red bucket until some reinforcements are welded onto the top and bottom... but ultimately, it will be sandblasted clean, prime-coated and painted black. :)

Dougster

Attachments

• 78 Inch KMW HD Bucket.jpg
    78 Inch KMW HD Bucket.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 241
  • Grapple.jpg
    Grapple.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Stump Bucket.jpg
    Stump Bucket.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster,
Don't worry. I sent Ed a PM. Just a matter of :waiting: now.
hugs, Brandi
Fortunately, the Edster is at the very end of a shaky, backwoods Maine telephone line running a 1200 baud dial-up modem!!! :yum: That old line is so bad he can't even check his e-mail!!! :yum:

He can't diss me at all until he gets back to his luxury hotel room and fires up his laptop on a fiber optic line. ;)

Dougster

Mud, here's a pic of a red bucket painted blue, then beefed up sandblasted to remove blue paint and then painted black. the red powder coat does not come off with normal sand blasting. I also have one bucket painted Mahindra frame gray.:thumb:

Attachments

• PC220026.JPG
    PC220026.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 217
  • PB040027.JPG
    PB040027.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 239

GreenMtns

Oh my gosh :pat: What is this? I thought it was a TRACTOR forum.

Brandi, Don't worry about Ed. I think this whole group is going to have a national waxing day this year. :biggrin:

Look at the pictures these guys are posting (boasting)

Think Dougster, Brian, Ed and now Mud will be the first officers of the STC. (Shinny Tractor Club). If you are not careful you will be drawn into this like a moth to a flame. I just found myself, strangely, wanting to go out in 20 degree temps and wash my tractor and put a coat of wax on it. :badidea:. Even, and most importantly, the buckets they show look like they have never seen dirt. Good Gosh:bangin: Even Dougster's Stump bucket shines. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh by the way..........Welcome Mud :tiphat:

Dougster

Old Member
Oh my gosh :pat: What is this? I thought it was a TRACTOR forum.

Brandi, Don't worry about Ed. I think this whole group is going to have a national waxing day this year. :biggrin:

Think Dougster, Brian, Ed and now Mud will be the first officers of the STC. (Shinny Tractor Club). If you are not careful you will be drawn into this like a moth to a flame. I just found myself, strangely, wanting to go out in 20 degree temps and wash my tractor and put a coat of wax on it. :badidea:. Even, and most importantly, the buckets they show look like they have never seen dirt. Good Gosh:bangin: Even Dougster's Stump bucket shines. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Please do not be misled by the pix taken of equipment when it was brand spanking new. :) While I try to keep things looking good to impress my upscale homeowner clients, in my case the equipment shown above does NOT currently conform to the Bill6 Standard of Excellence in tractor care and maintenance. :eek:

However, I do intend to remedy the situation just as soon as this New England weather permits. ;)

Dougster

rback33

Mud, here's a pic of a red bucket painted blue, then beefed up sandblasted to remove blue paint and then painted black. the red powder coat does not come off with normal sand blasting. I also have one bucket painted Mahindra frame gray.:thumb:

Hee hee hee. I KNOW your right about the paint not coming off with sandblasting. The people that used to blast for us when we needed stuff cleaned up or repainted won't let us bring them any powder coated stuff anymore. It's tough stuff. I got a pretty good chuckle the first time I saw that blue loader with the red showing through on the bucket...

Oops... just went back and read all of Doug's post... yeah... sandblasting... u can try it, but someone is gonna lose. If they bid to you ahead of time not knowing it is powder coat, then the blaster people loose... otherwise they may charge you out yer waazzoooo to blast it.

Bindian

Oh my gosh What is this? I thought it was a TRACTOR forum.

Al,
Don't worry.;) I only rinse mine off to get the grease clean and prevent moisture build up behind the mud.:thumb: Backhoe's do need a little extra in care in that department. I do hate to see mud caked around grease points. Rest assured,:beer: even as the Big Red Beast is resting under the barn roof, she has a film of dust on her and a little mud from me needing some fresh air the other day. Yes, there is mud in the bucket right now as I type.:biggrin: I don't even wax my truck. If God would have wanted me to do that, he would have put more grease in my elbow.:smartass: Me, I like my bucket's paint to go from red or black to
DIRT POLISHED SHINY METAL
.:applause:
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
Me, I like my bucket's paint to go from red or black to DIRT POLISHED SHINY METAL.:applause:
hugs, Brandi
Brandi - I just re-read the rules and I do not believe that your bucket conforms to the Bill6 Standard of Excellence in tractor care and maintenance! :eek:

You may wish to reconsider your position before you meet him in person at the 41st annual World Ag Expo in Tulare! ;)

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
Hee hee hee. I KNOW your right about the paint not coming off with sandblasting. The people that used to blast for us when we needed stuff cleaned up or repainted won't let us bring them any powder coated stuff anymore. It's tough stuff. I got a pretty good chuckle the first time I saw that blue loader with the red showing through on the bucket...

Oops... just went back and read all of Doug's post... yeah... sandblasting... u can try it, but someone is gonna lose. If they bid to you ahead of time not knowing it is powder coat, then the blaster people loose... otherwise they may charge you out yer waazzoooo to blast it.
Hey Jeremy - I'll be doing the sandblasting myself... and a quick test run last fall showed that the powdercoat could be removed... albeit with a lot of work, material and a resulting roughened surface of the bucket. I stopped further work until the reinforcement steel could all be added... but once again, you are the expert here and I trust your judgement! If you tell me not to sandblast and to simply paint over the powdercoat, I shall do so! :)

Dougster

Bindian

Brandi - I just re-read the rules and I do not believe that your bucket conforms to the Bill6 Standard of Excellence in tractor care and maintenance! :eek:

You may wish to reconsider your position before you meet him in person at the 41st annual World Ag Expo in Tulare! ;)

Dougster
Dougster,
There is no doubt in my mind. There is no way the Big Red Beast or any of her attchments could come close to Bill6's standard. That is just a cryin' shame.:cool:
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

Hey Jeremy - I'll be doing the sandblasting myself... and a quick test run last fall showed that the powdercoat could be removed... albeit with a lot of work, material and a resulting roughened surface of the bucket. I stopped further work until the reinforcement steel could all be added... but once again, you are the expert here and I trust your judgement! If you tell me not to sandblast and to simply paint over the powdercoat, I shall do so! :)

Dougster
Dougster,
When you or someone else welds the bucket stiffers on, have your paint ready to spray on the hot/warm metal so the paint can bake on.;)
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster,
There is no doubt in my mind. There is no way the Big Red Beast or any of her attchments could come close to Bill6's standard. That is just a cryin' shame.:cool:
hugs, Brandi
Okay... but don't say I didn't warn you!!! :mrgreen: That will be a meeting I'd pay money to see!!! :yum:

Dougster