chainsaw mill

Been thinking of a decent way to cut logs for a cabin. I came up with a system that I can take both sides off a log then cut it down the middle to make to half logs out of one to stack. The inside will be a flush wall with the outside looking like a normal log cabin. It also makes good lumber.

What I do is put two small logs down to cradle the one I am working up. By making several vertical cuts across the log in the widths I want boards then rotating the saw I can take several boards off in each pass. This is a prototype and I have changed out one part to make it more accurate.

I can set this up by myself so is decently portable.

was thinking of sharing plans if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• wood tools, sawmill 323.jpg
    wood tools, sawmill 323.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 71
  • wood tools, sawmill 324.jpg
    wood tools, sawmill 324.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 70

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's slick!!!

Your wood chips look a lot like like sawdust. Are you using a regular chain or did you put one in that's made to cut with the grain?

yes, the saw in that pic is a bit under powered. It was pulling hard but just dust coming out. I put a bigger saw on with full complement teeth and it brought chips. The thing about cutting straight across grain it comes out hard. Saws are made to crosscut. Even lengthwise you can do ok with long shavings, but cutting in this fashion you have to sharpen the teeth a bit different and have the power to make it pull.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
what are the chains called for cutting with the grain?i tried with my saw but always gets clogged with long shavings.my buddy next door has a mini sawmill for chainsaws he burned up a few saws cutting cypress because of it clogging up

Lee1935

what are the chains called for cutting with the grain?i tried with my saw but always gets clogged with long shavings.my buddy next door has a mini sawmill for chainsaws he burned up a few saws cutting cypress because of it clogging up

Do a goggle search "ripping chain" Oregon is one of the best

If you notice I am not cutting lenthwise and the saw is cutting across the grain not with the grain. Chainsaw chains are made to cut across the grain like I am doing. You just have to go slow. They do make a chain for this now but I have never used one.