2014 RTV 1140 Transmission not working

Slamm

So I bought two 2014 RTV 1140 from a company they each had 1,100 hours. One simply will not go into any gear, but the engine runs great and so does the hydraulic dump bed. So I need to get that transmission fixed.....I have no idea what the problem could be.....the shifter is shifting/moving around, but nothing happens.....The local deal said it was making pressure, but didn't know why it would work.

The second unit, I have been using with great success, except it would only go 14mph.... I tried adjusting it like the various instructions say to and changed the oil and filters and it never made any difference....Well, two days ago, it wouldn't go into LOW gear..then the next day it wouldn't go into LOW, HIGH or REVERSE......Leaving me only Medium to operate in...and then it would thump or clunk if you took your foot off the accelerator pedal too quickly.

I took it to the dealer, today and they said the shifter is fine, but that they will have to go into the transmission and the last time they did that it cost the customer $6,000.....Mercy, that seems a little expensive, and they don't know what is wrong with it.

So now I have 2 perfectly good machines, 1,100 hrs that have useless transmissions. My question is what is the most cost effective way of getting these things operational. I need at least one running for chores this winter.

Thanks,
Sam

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
welcome to the forum. how handy are you with a wrench? next i would suggest take a deep breath and allow the good people here to help you. it could be something real simple.

how familiar are you with the RTV models and their differences? is the 2014 model 1140 like the newer X models? or it more like the generation before the X models? can you post pics of the transmission with the bed raised to help id what tranny your model has?

Maine

the next day it wouldn't go into LOW, HIGH or REVERSE......Leaving me only Medium to operate in
Sounds like a 3 range transmission which would be an 1140, not an X1140.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the next day it wouldn't go into LOW, HIGH or REVERSE......Leaving me only Medium to operate in
Sounds like a 3 range transmission which would be an 1140, not an X1140.

Sir i believe you are correct:thankyou2:

with that info i would look for broken shift forks first. that is a known weakness in that transmission and is an easy fix.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
with that info i would look for broken shift forks first. that is a known weakness in that transmission and is an easy fix.
That's the first thing I was thinking of (but was thinking not broken but popped out.

Slamm - do a search in the forum for the word forks. There's several threads with what sounds like your issue and have posts that show how to check the forks and get them back into place.

Slamm

Sir i believe you are correct:thankyou2:

It is a 2014 1140 CPX .... Its at the dealer now. They said the forks are not broken, but that when they "took the cover off" to inspect the forks, one fork shifted okay and the other one would barely move. They are telling me that they need to remove the transmission from the machine and go inside the transmission for further inspection and to rebuild it.

They don't think any hard parts are broken at this point, as in there did not appear to be any shavings or broken parts in the oil.

Their best guess is $2,500-3,000 to fix this machine.

What are your thoughts?

By "easy fix" to the forks.....what constitutes an easy fix? And how much does that easy fix cost?

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What are your thoughts?

By "easy fix" to the forks.....what constitutes an easy fix? And how much does that easy fix cost?
I've never had the fork issue myself. Did you read any of the threads on the subject? I thought I recall most fixing the forks by prying it themselves without taking it to the shop.

Slamm

I've never had the fork issue myself. Did you read any of the threads on the subject? I thought I recall most fixing the forks by prying it themselves without taking it to the shop.

Yes, I read the Fork threads and I understand the process, and the dealer understands it also. They told me that the one fork moves just fine, but the other fork moves, but it must be pried very hard to move it and once moving, it doesn't want to move freely, like it is bent or something.

That is what they told me.

Slamm

Just as a side note.....is there anyone in the Kentucky or surrounding states that would make a good deal on fixing these two transmissions? I can haul them to someone if they are knowledgeable and experienced and want to do the jobs.

PM me if interested. Thanks, Sam

Lee1935

as Kenny Rogers said "know when to fold them"

If you didn't have a lot in them, you could part them out, likely much more than you paid for them, just a thought☺ good running used engines are pretty rare

Slamm

as Kenny Rogers said "know when to fold them"

If you didn't have a lot in them, you could part them out, likely much more than you paid for them, just a thought☺ good running used engines are pretty rare

Yes, you are right, but I sorta would like to keep one, because I actually need it on the farm.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i suggest you consider purchasing a workshop manual for your model and serial number. unless you choose to hire them fixed,then i would let a trusted dealer do the work and pay the price. there are many here who have completely torn these down and rebuilt or replaced worn or damaged components successfully with the help from this board. if you aren't prepared then the dealer is your best option or salvage them. just my opinion

Slamm

i suggest you consider purchasing a workshop manual for your model and serial number. unless you choose to hire them fixed,then i would let a trusted dealer do the work and pay the price. there are many here who have completely torn these down and rebuilt or replaced worn or damaged components successfully with the help from this board. if you aren't prepared then the dealer is your best option or salvage them. just my opinion

I agree with your advice and have both of the machines in my possession now, to rebuild myself, unless someone here can recommend a good dealer or tech that would want the job. The local 3 dealers here, I have almost no trust in their abilities to do the job based on what they have said about it. The latest dealer stated that it cost the last customer $6,000 and that didn't even fix the machine, the customer ended up just come back in and picking up the pieces. When I went to drop the second machine off the head mechanic that was inspecting my first one the day before, started cussing and complaining that he hated working on them and wished he would never see another one......so I just put the ramps back on the trailer and brought the second machine right back home....wasn't going to drop off a machine to a dealer who's employee's hate working on them that much for $85 an hour shop rate. The mechanic told me it take 4 days just to get the tranny out???? I have had log skidder transmissions out in 6 hours in the middle of the woods with a wheel loader and tools....not sure how it takes 32 hours to remove a RTV transmission?? But I guess, I will learn, LOL.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
before you tear into the tranny make sure you do all of the easy stuff first. check the spark arrestor in the exhaust pipe,check and replace the filters incase one is restricted,make sure the brakes are free. it is possible you have a gear problem and not a hydrostat issue. i know there is a splined shaft in the case that inputs power to the gears from the hydro. maybe it is stripped? i believe you can check it by removing one of the rear axles and it's nearing housing on the side of the transmission.

Slamm

before you tear into the tranny make sure you do all of the easy stuff first. check the spark arrestor in the exhaust pipe,check and replace the filters incase one is restricted,make sure the brakes are free. it is possible you have a gear problem and not a hydrostat issue. i know there is a splined shaft in the case that inputs power to the gears from the hydro. maybe it is stripped? i believe you can check it by removing one of the rear axles and it's nearing housing on the side of the transmission.

Ok, thanks, excellent advice. I'm going to start on them soon and post photos of what I find.

Anyone know if there is a manual online in pdf form?

Thanks,
Sam

MacGreenie

Have you checked the rear wheel flanges to make sure that the splines have not been stripped? I had this problem on my RTV 900 because the torques were not sufficient enough to mate with the splines securely and over the years the rear wheel flanges worked and ground the splines out of the wheel mounting flange on one side... and the symptom that showed up was the RTV would no longer move when you put it in gear because the shaft would just spin inside the wheel flange that no longer had teeth.

Fortunately, the metal on the transmission spline for the rear wheels on the driveshaft is stronger than the wheel flange teeth and no damage was done to the driveshafts; so I just replaced the wheel flange for $100 and torqued the wheel nut down tightly (140 foot pounds) to prevent wobbling and grinding inside the spline cavity and I was back in business.

If your Kubota won’t move when you put it in gear it could be this rather freakish occurrence of splines being ground away to nothing on rear wheel flange. I got home by putting my RTV 900 into Four Wheel Drive and the front wheel drive-train dragged me home without any problem.

Do a search on torque values for rear wheel mounting nut and you will see more detail on this issue.

I wish you the best of luck with this. Remember, we are Kubota owners and we will prevail!

Last edited:

Slamm

Have you checked the rear wheel flanges to make sure that the splines have not been stripped? I had this problem on my RTV 900 because the torques were not sufficient enough to mate with the splines securely and over the years the rear wheel flanges worked and ground the splines out of the wheel mounting flange on one side... and the symptom that showed up was the RTV would no longer move when you put it in gear because the shaft would just spin inside the wheel flange that no longer had teeth.

Fortunately, the metal on the transmission spline for the rear wheels on the driveshaft is stronger than the wheel flange teeth and no damage was done to the driveshafts; so I just replaced the wheel flange for $100 and torqued the wheel nut down tightly (140 foot pounds) to prevent wobbling and grinding inside the spline cavity and I was back in business.

If your Kubota won’t move when you put it in gear it could be this rather freakish occurrence of splines being ground away to nothing on rear wheel flange. I got home by putting my RTV 900 into Four Wheel Drive and the front wheel drive-train dragged me home without any problem.

Do a search on torque values for rear wheel mounting nut and you will see more detail on this issue.

I wish you the best of luck with this. Remember, we are Kubota owners and we will prevail!

I will certainly go check that now and report back. Its not the issue on the one, but the other one, it could be, you can put it into any gear and it doesn't move at all.....the shifter moves around pretty easy though.
Thanks

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
the shifter moves around pretty easy though.
Thanks
Like how easy? Have you checked the linkages from the shifter all the way back to the tranny?
A broken or mis-aligned linkage may be the problem and a very easy/cheap fix.

Slamm

Ok, it's in the transmission or hydrostat.....the shifter work on both. Also the rear axle splines that go into the hub splines are good. I will take the covers off of the transmissions next.