First mow of the season

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
Went to Jeff city wens. and could smell fresh cut grass as we drove through almish country........depending on the rain it will be time to mow here this week end....:blob_blue:

jwstewar

Staff member
Working from home today (on-call this week so I don't get to do my 4/10s) but thinking about tonight since I won't have to drive home going out to put the deck on the tractor and mow the grass tomorrow. It is starting to get pretty tall.

urednecku

I've mowed about 3 times so far this year..... and now that we've had almost 4 inches rain over the last couple weeks, and days are in mid-hi 80's, it'll get lots more often.

Kanook

Mow the Snow

Think I'll need to get my mower blade closer to the grass..Maybe raising the wheels will help :bonk:

Attachments

• mow the sno.jpg
    mow the sno.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 467

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:yum: I know I prefer mowing to having white stuff on the lawn.
I'm surprised you have not had to mow yet Ki0ho being a good bit further south than I am. And you been mowing for just about a month already ehh urednecku? I would prefer that to the cold we've had over the last month.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not tall enough to mow yet. Still too wet as well. For now, I'm guessing a few more weeks.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
I put off my first mowing until 30th March, just before we took off for a week camping at Lake of the Pines. We've been back about three days now and it's looking bad. I'll cut it this afternoon.

I also mowed part of the pasture yesterday, not all of it, just the part up along the fence close to the house. For some reason it always grows taller there at the beginning of the season.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Parts of my yard need mowing, about 25% just in the back, the rest is still dormant - different grasses (of course the yard is too wet to mow - last year about this time I walked out and bogged up in mud under the grass, left holes I had to fill in). And it's raining again today. My SIL and DD will have to take care of it for me, as I'm leaving for Kansas again next week.

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
:drive2: Well Doc I said something about putting the mower on the travtor and Mom said maby I should put in the yard while I was at it....soooo today I did my first mowing here in mid Mo.....it was taller than I thought!!!! glad she thought of that...it is raining right now!!!!:drive2:

Erik

I was thinking about mowing the back yard this weekend, but it'll have to dry off first -- looking at storms all day tomorrow and Friday. Burned pasture 2 weeks ago, so it's just now turning green - now I need to find a PTO shaft and back tire or a cheap used brush hog to replace the POS KK 72"er i've got sitting.... :(

jwstewar

Staff member
I finally finished getting the deck cleaned up - I didn't get it cleaned last fall between the weather and taking care of Dad. I cleaned the top of it, but didn't bother with the underside. It was packed, but the underside was so dried and caked on I didn't think water (even the power washer) would cut it. So I got the blades off and sharpened. Put them back on and put the deck on the tractor. It was so we I having to mow part of it in 4wd to keep the front tires from sinking in. I proceeded to make 2 circles and then the rain started coming in again and I had to stop. We had so much rain then again overnight that you can't even walked outside. So I won't be mowing for a couple more days again. Looking like the yard might get bushhogged.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
It won't dry up enough around here to try to mow. I have mini-ponds in my yard and they're predicting rain almost every day this coming week.

jwstewar

Staff member
It won't dry up enough around here to try to mow. I have mini-ponds in my yard and they're predicting rain almost every day this coming week.

Quit say that, it is going to be nice and dry this week. At least I keep telling myself that.:lucky:

Erik

Went to mow, had a flat-needed a new tire.
Went to buy a tire, SWMBO freaked at the $40 price tag and decided we need a new mower. 5 hours of comparison shopping later, we bought a leftover 2010 Craftsman 46" hydrostat. Got home and mowed -- this automatic tranny stuff could be habit forming.
Now I need to clean up the old one and post it on Craig's List.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Finished my third mowing today. Man, the yard looks bad this year. I haven't had this many weeds since we moved here 14 years ago. I sprayed pre-emergent back in November but I guess it's worn off and since I didn't do it again at the start of spring, I'm paying for it now. I've already sprayed weedkiller once but it looks as if I'll have to do it again. The wind has been blowing like a booger for about 5 months and it's blown all kinds of junk grass and weed seeds into the yard from the surrounding pastures.

It's shaping up to be a hard, hard year.

Mith

Been mowing for over a month now, here's hoping for a good growing season!
I would imagine I have 30 hours seat time mowing so far this year.

Mith

Heres another picture. It was steeeep!

Had to split the brakes on a few parts to go where I wanted. Must get round to casting a font weight! It already has 100kg on there, but its a really short tractor.