Mowing high grass

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We have had a lot of rain, and I could not mow on the 7th 8th or 9th day after my last mow. The grass was extra high because of the rain and long time between mowings.

For a change I decided to raise my deck way higher, 1 inch higher to it highest setting (5 inches). Boy, I was surprised by how easy the mow went and how good the grass looked. It looked more 'striped' than normal and it looked plush. Normally I would mow at 4 inches even though the grass was high and I'd have clumps all over. No clumps and a nice looking yard. I might have to mow a little sooner next week to get back to my 4 inch height but with Memorial day boating weekend next weekend I want to mow early anyway. So no prob.

2810guy

well Doc your lucky you can even mow! I went out Thursday evening to mow for my Uncle and ended up mowing in 4wd. Sure made a mess but the grass was so high he couldn't mow with his lawn mower tractor. He said if it doesn't dry up by the next time i mow he's going to follow me and plant rice!. Happy sailing! . . .I mean mowing. . . John
By the way Doc, the thick tall lawn feels GREAT between your bare toes.
This picture is before i mowed, tractor and mower are much dirtier now but it was still fun! .. . John

Attachments

• moto_0258.jpg
    moto_0258.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My grass was very similar. Mine was mostly dry except for one valley so I was able to mow it with my ZTR. I had my tractor out Sunday to brush hog the valley and much like you said, boy, did I make a mess of that part of the yard. 4wd was a must.
I should have taken a pic before I mowed but I was just excited to see sunshine two days in a row. :eek:
The tall thick grass does feel good between the toes. :D

Erik

we had 1/2" of rain Friday & another 1" Saturday evening, so I didn't get to mow this weekend. Supposed to rain the next 3 days and possibly Friday as well - hoping to be abvle to mow Thursday if I'm not in Joplin helping the cousins dig themselves out from under their storm shredded trees.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Best of luck with the cousins in Joplin. That place looks totally devastated. They had more pics on TV this morning. So sad. Those poor folks. They need all the help they can get. ....the grass will wait.