Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxalaska

Yep, but my two favorites are gone. Dale Sr. & Jeff Gordon. My current is Lowes Jimmy Johnson. :drive2:

I'm a Hendrick groupie. Jr, Jeff and Jimmie. I like Chase and think he's going to be a very successful driver. The #48 is my favorite, but I also like the #78 because of what they have accomplished with a small team. I like the whole attitude of NASCAR, as compared to the NFL. NASCAR folk are all amazing with the exception of the Bucsh brothers and Keselowski. Logano gets on my nerves at times and thank god Danica has made NASCAR much safer with her departure.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I watched a lot of nascar when I lived in NC. Always since I was a kid I pulled for Jeff Gordon! Caught a lot of crap for that but it was always in good fun. We traveled to Rockingham, Martinsville, Charlotte for races sometimes camping in someone’s back yard, friendliest fans you could meet. If your battery was dead or truck was stuck there were more people willing to help than you could imagine!

Stihl paid for a few of us at work to do the Richard Petty driving experience in Charlotte and that was amazing!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not as much as I used to be but I do like NASCAR. With the antics of the NFL, if I do watch something on Sunday afternoons, I'd take NASCAR. Not at all into basketball, baseball but do enjoy at times a hockey game.

On a Sunday afternoon, I'd rather be outside...

foxalaska

I watched a lot of nascar when I lived in NC. Always since I was a kid I pulled for Jeff Gordon! Caught a lot of crap for that but it was always in good fun. We traveled to Rockingham, Martinsville, Charlotte for races sometimes camping in someone’s back yard, friendliest fans you could meet. If your battery was dead or truck was stuck there were more people willing to help than you could imagine!

Stihl paid for a few of us at work to do the Richard Petty driving experience in Charlotte and that was amazing!

Never got to watch a race. Would love to go to Daytona. Have some friends in NC that are big fans and go to Daytona speed week every year. Be nice break from Alaska in the winter. The fans are great. Don't see them looting stores. NFL sucks!!!

foxalaska

Not as much as I used to be but I do like NASCAR. With the antics of the NFL, if I do watch something on Sunday afternoons, I'd take NASCAR. Not at all into basketball, baseball but do enjoy at times a hockey game.

On a Sunday afternoon, I'd rather be outside...

I'm done with NFL. I never gave a hoot about basketball or baseball. For some reason I like watching golf and I don't play the game. I'm with you, summer is my busy time so I don't get a chance to watch much racing. Usually get into during the chase.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Never got to watch a race. Would love to go to Daytona. Have some friends in NC that are big fans and go to Daytona speed week every year. Be nice break from Alaska in the winter. The fans are great. Don't see them looting stores. NFL sucks!!!

You may already have figured this out but from my experience the smaller tracks are better to watch in person because you can see the race the whole time, on a track like talladega you may only see the cars as they pass by your seat.
Second, higher seats are better unlike other sports, (again for viewing) they call the lower seats chicken bone section because people above you toss their bones down ;-).
Bristol is on my bucket list! Martinsville was fun, the truck race was entertaining, seems like they couldn’t make 5 laps without a crash!

foxalaska

Btw who’s your internet provider? Dad lost his provider and is basically on dial up... no streaming...

Got an Exede dish. Only thing that works well in Galena. There's a DSL service here, but it's total crap. Exede only works in parts of Alaska. Not sure if it will work for him.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I think he’s on dsl, he has a older apple laptop and was having trouble with it so he called apple and they told him to download latest iOS “should take about 3 hours”, dad said it took 3 weeks!!!
I guess the only drawback of exede or hughsnet is the data cap, I’m not sure how much steaming you can do before it gets expensive.
Excede pepped every power pole and intersection in our county last spring with signs, I just threw them in the back of my truck whenever I see one, I consider it litter.

foxalaska

I think he’s on dsl, he has a older apple laptop and was having trouble with it so he called apple and they told him to download latest iOS “should take about 3 hours”, dad said it took 3 weeks!!!
I guess the only drawback of exede or hughsnet is the data cap, I’m not sure how much steaming you can do before it gets expensive.
Excede pepped every power pole and intersection in our county last spring with signs, I just threw them in the back of my truck whenever I see one, I consider it litter.

As far as I know, Excede slows down the speed when you go over, instead of charging a fee.

foxalaska

Thanks, do you stream netflix or anything?

No I don't. Facebook, twitter, various news sites and a few forums such as this. I've got crappy cable in Galena and can only get CNN cable news, which is fine if you hate Trump. I don't so the internet is my only source of news. I'm a grumpy old curmudgeon that hate's Hollywood and liberals.

Other people in town say they stream Netflix with no problem.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
No I don't. Facebook, twitter, various news sites and a few forums such as this. I've got crappy cable in Galena and can only get CNN cable news, which is fine if you hate Trump. I don't so the internet is my only source of news. I'm a grumpy old curmudgeon that hate's Hollywood and liberals.

Other people in town say they stream Netflix with no problem.

I hear ya! Your not alone in that boat. We don't have cable or satellite just high speed internet, we do stream netflix, history and hbo. We also have public antenna tv, my favorites are on METV Bonanza and Gunsmoke. We are looking forward to the Olympics even though they will probably only cover figure skating in the evening!

foxalaska

Have you checked this site out yet? its always flashing on the top of this forum, should be right in your wheel house.

http://www.mn-outdoors.com/

Interesting site, but no Tuckers. I've used Ski-dozers and Nodwell's. Not a fan of either. Tuckers are great, but very popular, thus spendy. Can't justify the cost for the amount of practical use. Fuel is expensive here. Play toys quickly break the bank. I can justify the Kubota because of fuel economy and it's fun to drive. I'm remodeling my house and need to ship in a lot of supplies. 300 hundred miles of river to the nearest road and then 134 miles of road to Fairbanks. I'm putting all my "toy" fund to building the ultimate freight boat. Logged 3600 river miles last year hauling 30,000 lbs of freight. Slightly cheaper than barge rate. After modifications, I'll be netting 10,000 lb payloads, which will make the endeavor practical. I put no value on my time, as I never tire of the trips up and down the river.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Interesting site, but no Tuckers. I've used Ski-dozers and Nodwell's. Not a fan of either. Tuckers are great, but very popular, thus spendy. Can't justify the cost for the amount of practical use. Fuel is expensive here. Play toys quickly break the bank. I can justify the Kubota because of fuel economy and it's fun to drive. I'm remodeling my house and need to ship in a lot of supplies. 300 hundred miles of river to the nearest road and then 134 miles of road to Fairbanks. I'm putting all my "toy" fund to building the ultimate freight boat. Logged 3600 river miles last year hauling 30,000 lbs of freight. Slightly cheaper than barge rate. After modifications, I'll be netting 10,000 lb payloads, which will make the endeavor practical. I put no value on my time, as I never tire of the trips up and down the river.

That sounds awesome man, great way to spend summers. I would need a bit more convincing to stay through winter though!

shinnery

Out of total curiosity, as a person who will never get to Alaska, how much of the year is the Yukon R. free of Ice, navigable, boatable or whatever?
Bryce

foxalaska

Out of total curiosity, as a person who will never get to Alaska, how much of the year is the Yukon R. free of Ice, navigable, boatable or whatever?
Bryce

About mid-may until mid-oct at the very latest. The chance of getting caught in ice is to great in oct for me to risk it, if traveling a long distance. A whole lotta miles of nothing and no way to travel if caught in it. A huge risk. The ice travels out of Canada, so local conditions don't really reflect on when it comes.

I like to wait a couple weeks after breakup so all the drift is gone before I launch and usually pull my boat at the end of Sept. I only freight. The locals keep their boats in until the ice starts to run because they use them for local travel. Boats, planes, snowmachines the only way in and out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.