What size Winch

So I am going to pick up a winch for my X900. I am also going to pick up a receiver tray so it can be moved from the front to the back if needed, as well as moved over to my 4000lb tractor.

In looking at winches, you have the 5000lb which way 40lbs or the 12000lb which way 80lbs. We don't use the winch for much more than getting unstuck, if it was real bad (down a ravine) we would have friends and neighbors who would be by our side with much bigger gear like dozers and such.

So is 5000lbs enough? The only HD thing I could think of is putting it on the bumper of my truck (a very heavy diesel) and getting it unstuck but honestly I have never been stuck in it, knock wood.

The other factor is my wife, I think the 80lb winch would be too heavy for her to move around if I am not in town.

tfdr1

Back in my younger years of playing with 4x4 trucks, I used to size my winch to 2x +/- my vehicle's gvw. That being said....if you had a 4000 or 5000 on your RTV and can't get it out, you have bigger problems. I would also suggest wire rope vs. synthetic if you are going to be using it in an abrasive environment or for more utility type pulling.

Dave

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yea get the smallest you you think you can live with. you can always double the line to get more pull.

ovrszd

All good advice.

I use a 2500lb with synthetic rope on my Rhino. Don't have one on the RTV.

I use a 9500lb on my rock buggy with steel cable.

I use a 9000lb on my streetable offroad jeep with steel cable.

I'm brand conscious. All three of mine are Warn.