Indian automaker (and tractormaker) unveils SUV

Bindian

mahindra_logo.jpg

DFW Mahindra Your Value Leader
black%20truck.jpg
DFW Mahindra News Letter Update

Breaking News

Auto major Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) today said it has received environmental clearance from the US authorities for its diesel pick-up trucks, a step which will bring it closer to launching the vehicles in the US. M&M said it is the first Indian automobile manufacturer to receive a Light Duty Diesel Federal Tier-2 BIN-5 & OBD II Compliance Certificate, which was granted by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of the USA on August 17, 2010. With this certification, Mahindra has joined a select group of global automobile manufacturers who have received this certification for a diesel-powered light duty vehicle (LDVs)," the company said in a statement.
The company had planned to launch its diesel pick-up in the US by the end of 2009, but has missed two deadlines since, due to regulatory issues. It has now set 2010-end as the possible time for launching the vehicle in the US.
As a result, its exclusive American distributor -- Global Vehicles (GV) -- slapped a lawsuit against the company in June, citing inordinate delays in the launch of the pick-up. However, terming GV's allegations as without merit, M&M countered the case with a dismiss motion in a US court.
Atlanta-based distributor GV, in the lawsuit filed before an Atlanta District Court, alleged there was an inordinate delay in the launch of the truck, which is based on the platform of M&M's sports utility vehicle, Scorpio. The two firms had entered into an agreement on September 28, 2006.
GV claims to have made an overall investment of $103.5 million along with franchisees towards the launch of the pick-up truck

www.dfwmahindra.com
green-leaves-m.jpg
Things will start to happen rapidly, as the truck is now certified by the EPA to be sold Stateside. The diesel powerplant was able to pass testing by injecting urea into the exhaust gases, common among modern diesel engines, to reduce the harmful gases produced. The pending EPA certification was apparently one of the final boxes that needed to be checked before it could begin importing the light-duty trucks.

Mahindra slightly modified its trucks for the U.S. market’s crash testing regulations by adding a completely revised front fascia and grille guard. The revised offering has reportedly been approved by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, according to Mahindra.

The news is very promising, after speaking with a representative from Global Vehicles, we hear there may be a chance that the trucks will be available in dealer showrooms, as 2011 models, by December. Mahindra has had its fair share of delays, its time to get this party started!

Contact Information:
DFW Mahindra
2925 E. Division St.
Arlington, Texas 76011
bob@dfwmahindra.com

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
And http://www.dfwmahindra.com/ (the Dallas dealer) says the trucks should soon be followed by the Scorpio (SUV) that these trucks are based on, and even hybrid versions too!

These are pretty decent sized pickups, 2750 lb payload and 5,000 lb towing capacity.

Melensdad

Gold Site Supporter
I would seriously consider buying one of these. I've long thought that a compact diesel pick up truck would be handy to have if it had enough towing capacity . . . and roughly 5000# would be enough for me. I never could understand why Ford didn't offer a small diesel in their RANGER pick up line.

Their little 4 door "EX" quasi-SUV/pick up truck also looks pretty interesting. Room for hauling a bit of stuff, 4wd, and room for dogs or passengers too.

Erik

I'm still hoping for a 2-door extended cab (rather than 4 door crew cab) version with more bed space.
I'm also dreading their starting price with the deluxe version they're supposed to be starting out with.
that said - I really like the idea of a small diesel powered truck. 18MPG in my Dakota is not a lot of fun.

Bindian

I'm still hoping for a 2-door extended cab (rather than 4 door crew cab) version with more bed space.
I'm also dreading their starting price with the deluxe version they're supposed to be starting out with.
that said - I really like the idea of a small diesel powered truck. 18MPG in my Dakota is not a lot of fun.
I am with you Erik. I would like a two door long bed. Since I got me a 2003 Dodge dually:cool: this spring, I wanna sale my 2002 Ram 2500 and either buy a Mahindra pickup or a Harley.:eek:
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 2003 RED Dodge Ram 3500.jpg
    2003 RED Dodge Ram 3500.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 12