IH 284 Troubles.

dustytools

Over the course of the past few weeks my IH 284 has been acting up. I was plowing my garden and the tractor acted like it was running out of fuel and died. I pulled the filter and found that it was half empty. My father-in-law blamed it on a dirty fuel filter so I changed it, bled the system and went back to work. About thirty minutes later it did it again, same result, filter half empty. A co-worker told me that it sounded like air was getting into the system somehow. I replaced the rubber fuel line, rubber return line, seal in the settling bowl and the seal between the fuel tank and the shut off valve. I even drained the tank to check for possible blockages and fuel in the water.I then blew through the fuel cap to eliminate any possible blockages. I replaced the fuel filter again, bled the system and got her running again. This past Monday afternoon I decided to do some bushhogging around the barn and things went well for about thirty minutes and then it started the same thing again, acted like it was running out of fuel and died. Filter was once again half empty. I have talked to a couple of people who seem to think that the lift pump is getting weak and wont put out enough fuel when the tractor is working hard. I contacted a Case dealer and found out that the lift pump is NLA from Case and a local tractor parts cant find anything aftermarket they did however referr me to a man who rebuilds pumps and he recommended that I install a 12V pump as it would be more cost effective. Anybody have any suggestions or other possible solutions before I replace/repair my lift pump. Thanks in advance, Terry.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi, It sounds like you checked out the lines and hoses. Did you check the clamps and the tightness of any metal lines? I've had bad fuel lines and clamps fool even JD mechanics. They put a high price fuel pump on our tractor (JD7420) and it did the same thing the next day. I could hear the "mosquito noise" so I changed out the clamps on that tractor and used a socket driver to tighten them with. Works fine now. I also had fuel lines seep air on several other pieces of equipment. Get in a quiet area , crank or try to crank -cut off and jump down near fuel lines and listen for the seeping mosquito sound.That will be the air getting in. Hope you get it fixed on the cheap but If its the pump , I'd do as recommended. What kind of fuel? Did you fill up before the second episode?Also, on our tractor, it has an electric fuel pump and you can turn the key to accessory and hear the fuel pump kick on, I undone it coming from the pump and cautiously checked the force of the pump output. bordercollie

dustytools

Hi, It sounds like you checked out the lines and hoses. Did you check the clamps and the tightness of any metal lines? I've had bad fuel lines and clamps fool even JD mechanics. They put a high price fuel pump on our tractor (JD7420) and it did the same thing the next day. I could hear the "mosquito noise" so I changed out the clamps on that tractor and used a socket driver to tighten them with. Works fine now. I also had fuel lines seep air on several other pieces of equipment. Get in a quiet area , crank or try to crank -cut off and jump down near fuel lines and listen for the seeping mosquito sound.That will be the air getting in. Hope you get it fixed on the cheap but If its the pump , I'd do as recommended. What kind of fuel? Did you fill up before the second episode?Also, on our tractor, it has an electric fuel pump and you can turn the key to accessory and hear the fuel pump kick on, I undone it coming from the pump and cautiously checked the force of the pump output. bordercollie

Yep, I have checked all metal lines for tightness and everything felt good. I have always kept the tractor fuel topped off with offroad diesel. Thank you foor the reply,Terry.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
I have a gasoline Massey Ferguson 35 that used to do what you described. I did everything you described, but what finally fixed it was having the gas tank cleaned and relined. Don't know if that will work for you, but it sure cured my problem.

Bob

bensonhurst

IH 284 dies of fuel starvation when under a load

I have a Satoh Bison, it has the same Mazda motor as the IH 284.
About a year ago, I went through the same problems.
I eventually installed an electric fuel pump which SEEMED to help, but it eventually did the same thing; it would run fine at idle and under a LIGHT load but when it was put under a heavier load it would die of fuel starvation.
Finally I took the carburetor apart and gave it a THOROUGH cleaning, that fixed it and it was ALMOST perfect, then I rebuilt the carb and it now runs flawlessly.

dustytools

I have a Satoh Bison, it has the same Mazda motor as the IH 284.
About a year ago, I went through the same problems.
I eventually installed an electric fuel pump which SEEMED to help, but it eventually did the same thing; it would run fine at idle and under a LIGHT load but when it was put under a heavier load it would die of fuel starvation.
Finally I took the carburetor apart and gave it a THOROUGH cleaning, that fixed it and it was ALMOST perfect, then I rebuilt the carb and it now runs flawlessly.

My tractor has the Nissan 3 cylinder diesel.

dustytools

To quote Emily Litella
"Never Mind"

Thats okay, I appreciate the replies, I have posted this on a few other forums other than this one and havent had the first reply at any of those. I have removed the lift pump and made and installed a blockoff plate over the hole. I plan on installing an electric fuel pump this weekend if I dont have to work. I will let you guys know how it works out. Thanks again.

dustytools

Thats okay, I appreciate the replies, I have posted this on a few other forums other than this one and havent had the first reply at any of those. I have removed the lift pump and made and installed a blockoff plate over the hole. I plan on installing an electric fuel pump this weekend if I dont have to work. I will let you guys know how it works out. Thanks again.

I installed the electric fuel pump this morning and so far so good, its running great!! Thanks for the replies, Terry.