6500 cold start problem

sundug

I have a 2007 6500 4WD. I bought it a year ago with 325 hours on it. I used to see the manifold heater light come on when I first turned on the key, now it does not, and when temps are in the 20's, it has to crank a lot to start. I found the manifold heater and light on the wiring diagram, and I think I have the right timer relay-blue, four prong, mounted high up inside on the left rear of the engine compartment. I see on the wiring diagram that the timer sends juice to the manifold heater, but that sure doesn't seem right, because the wires from the timer relay are a lot smaller gauge than the wire going to the heater, anyway the wiring diagram said they had a 10 amp fuse in line. I checked all the fuses in the fuse panel. They were fine. None are listed as the heater fuse. But behind that fuse panel, there were two fuses taped to the wiring harness. One of them was a 10 amp that was blown. I replaced it, I still do not see the heater light come on- however, the engine was warmed up and I'm not sure if that's a factor. If anyone can shed the light on when this heater is posted come on, how long it is supposed to come on, whether engine temperatures a factor, where the components are located, where the heavy wire going to the heater goes, etc. I sure would appreciate it. Thanks, Doug

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
This is totally out of my league but could a bad dash light be blowing the heater fuse? Anyone!

sundug

Thanks for the reply, but I checked for voltage at the heater, and there was none. The fuse was replaced and has not blown again-yet.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply, but I checked for voltage at the heater, and there was none. The fuse was replaced and has not blown again-yet.
Was the engine cold when you checked the voltage to the heater?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The only thing I can think of is tracing the wires back as far as possible checking voltage at every junction. Otherwise I'm lost on this one.

sundug

Unfortunately, the heavy wire coming from the heater disappears into the wiring harness and I do not see it reappear anywhere. It seems to me it has to go to a larger solenoid or relay than the one I found. The small relay I found is about the size of a turn signal flasher and only has light gauge wires coming out of it, yet it is labeled timer. So I think it must control another relay or solenoid. Thanks for your reply

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is a magnetic or other "quicky" block heater an option for you (at least in the interim)?

Something you just stick to your oil pan and plug it in for an hour or two before you want to run your tractor. (I use a timer on block heaters).

Something like this.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200339105_200339105

You could use one of the self-stick ones if you want to make it a bit more permanent.

I'd hate for you to start replacing electronic components as that kind of trial-and-error can get pretty costly.
E.g. Here's the heater timer for your tractor. http://www.billstractor.net/inmahefor65m.html
Unfortunately, it costs over $200.

sundug

Thanks, a block heater is not really an option as there is no electricity where the tractor is stored. I'm considering putting a remote starter solenoid like on the older Fords on it controlled by a momentary push button switch.

sundug

I located the timer relay for the intake heater, it's just below the long tube of the intake, mounted on the upper brace. It was getting voltage, but not making the high amperage connection to the heater. Since I figured I had nothing to lose, I took it apart, blew it out with air, sprayed contact cleaner into the relay, blew it out again, and it works! Apparently dirt had gotten into the contacts. I wish I could figure a way to get the circuit board off, so I can get to the contacts to manually clean them. The timer relay is $200, if it messes up. I will replace it with a starter solenoid from an older Ford and use a momentary pushbutton to activate it. Thanks, Doug

ttp://www.billstractor.net/tiihefor65ma.html

TIMER (INTAKE HEATER) FOR 6520 MAHINDRA TRACTOR

5559087R916520Regular price: $205.00Sale price: $199.00