New tire suggestions

Boxcarman

I have a 900 RTV with aggressive turf tires on it and they suck. I'm in the woods a lot with this machine and as soon as I hit some mud I'm done. I want to get a set of tires that look like farm tractor tires. With the wide spaced bars so the mud will drop out from between them. You guys have any preference as far as manufacturer or a certain tire of this type that you are partial to? If I'm going to spend the money on these and run them for a couple of years I want to make sure I'm buying the best I can get. Thanks in advance. BCM

ovrszd

I amd a couple other members use ITP Blackwater Evolution tires. I am 90% steep timber. After walking to the machine shed to get the tractor to pull the RTV a few times I swapped tires.

Hopefully others will chime in with their favorite type.

I haul heavy loads so weight rating was very important in my decision. Keep that inind when making your choice. Your machine is applying approximately 500lbs of weight one ach tire with no driver. If loaded to capacity it could be applying 900lbs to each tire.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Seems the Blackwater has taken over from the Grim Reapers a while back. Can't argue as those that use the Blackwater's are experienced members.

A couple thoughts, The aggressive tire will make a mess of lawn's etc, but I doubt that is a concern here. I found the best place to buy is Discount Tire, they don't have much in-house but can order about anything you want if you ask. Had the best price with mounting etc.

ovrszd

ovrszd,

Did you change sizes when you put the Blackwaters on? Same original wheel?

Used original wheel. Went up to 27" tire. Caveat,,,,, I added 1" suspension lift.

No rubbage at all. Can't confirm that would be the case without lift.

What I was trying to gain was ground clearance. In offroad situations I was constantly dragging my belly....... Much better.

Another caveat. An RTV is NOT a capable offroad vehicle. It's heavy. It has slow tire speed. It's low to the ground. Just have to accept these things. Tire change will not overcome some of those. :)

Let us know what you decide to do!!! :)

phil1841

Used original wheel. Went up to 27" tire. Caveat,,,,, I added 1" suspension lift.

No rubbage at all. Can't confirm that would be the case without lift.

What I was trying to gain was ground clearance. In offroad situations I was constantly dragging my belly....... Much better.

Another caveat. An RTV is NOT a capable offroad vehicle. It's heavy. It has slow tire speed. It's low to the ground. Just have to accept these things. Tire change will not overcome some of those. :)

Let us know what you decide to do!!! :)

Thanks!!

Don't own RTV yet, but it's on my very short list of possibilities. Recently bought our retirement place on 30 mostly wooded acres with big plans to lay in some walking trails and just generally enjoy our upcoming retirement. Looking for a SxS for much more of a "utility" purpose than "sport. Not that we won't take the grandkids out for a ride or two....:smile:

I've been around tires throughout my professional career and know enough about bias ply and radial tires to make the change to a good radial tire once we get our RTV. Very much appreciate your feedback - will probably keep the original tire size, but may get a new set of wheels and keep the original tires as "spares".

ovrszd

Thanks!!

Don't own RTV yet, but it's on my very short list of possibilities. Recently bought our retirement place on 30 mostly wooded acres with big plans to lay in some walking trails and just generally enjoy our upcoming retirement. Looking for a SxS for much more of a "utility" purpose than "sport. Not that we won't take the grandkids out for a ride or two....:smile:

I've been around tires throughout my professional career and know enough about bias ply and radial tires to make the change to a good radial tire once we get our RTV. Very much appreciate your feedback - will probably keep the original tire size, but may get a new set of wheels and keep the original tires as "spares".

Been retired 5 years. Busier than ever. I highly recommend it. :)

My RTV only leaves my farm on a trailer. So road speed isn't important. More importantly is durability and work strength. I believe the RTV best provides that.

seery

We've been running the STI MudTrax XL tires [26x11-12] for ~10 years. We have some very steep hills and the traction is literally unbelievable, and they are wearing like steel. For dirt trail or hard pack riding, the center lug makes for a smooth ride. They still have 90%+ of the tread left, but every once in awhile I get in the mood for a change.

Spoke with the owner of ATO, and for the RTV900 he recommends three tires.

The first two are his recommendation if the 900 is going to be used hard and loaded heavy [as intended].

(2) ITP BajaCross [8 ply]
"The ITP Baja Cross’s Radial Design is proven to handle the toughest and heaviest UTV applications. It’s 8 ply rating and 25% stronger construction has produced ITP’s most rugged, durable tire yet."

(1) STI Roctane XD [8 Ply]
"The Roctane XD’s 8-ply-rated radial carcass is built to confidently handle ever larger, faster and heavier UTV applications."

He really likes this third tire for folks that haul in the 500-600# range and who also do some dirt road riding or hard pack trails.

(3) Maxxis Ceros [6 ply]
"The all new Maxxis Ceros is a UTV-specific tire, built to handle the extreme abuse your UTV Tire takes. 6-ply rating."

ovrszd

I spent 15 minutes digging on the Intertube concerning weight carrying capacity of those three tires.

ITP Bajacross = couldn't find anything while looking on their website.

STIrockrane XD = 855lbs

Maxxis Cero = 825lbs

I was really disappointed in ITP. But maybe I'm just a computer moron and couldn't find the data......

With all that said,,,,, max load in the bed,,,,, all of them will be overloaded. I don't think that's a huge issue. Only bringing it up to point out that with RTV tires, load capacity is critically important. This is because each tire is carrying approximately 500lbs before the driver gets onboard and/or any bed load is applied. Still gotta get my RTV and scales together for a definitive answer.....

I would never suggest that an RTV owner buy ATV tires.

seery

STI Roctane XD Details:

STI has built the Roctane XD Radial to be a high performance, durable juggernaut. The 8-ply rating and heavy denier nylon cord make the Roctane a design meant specifically for heavier, faster, more abusive applications . The tread design also promotes toughness with the Rocwall sidewall, wide tread belts, and extra-deep RocGuard rim guard, all giving the Roctane an extreme amount of protection and durability. Finalizing this tire’s stout design is the specialized tread compound meant to extend lifespan even further. With features that make the Roctane wear like iron, the best aspect is that you still get a tire that holds onto slick rock like glue. With the STI Roctane XD Radial you get some of the best wear and performance available for your machine.

Specs:
Designed for harsh UTV applications
8-ply rated with heavier than standard nylon cordage
Features STI’s exclusive RocGuard and RocWall to protect the sidewall and lip
Proprietary tread compound is formulated for extended wear
Excellent grip on slick surfaces
Wide profile footprint delivers quiet operation and precise control

Tire Size 26x11-12
Load rating 996 pounds

seery

ITP BajaCross Details:

ITP has built the BajaCross with some of the heaviest, 8-ply, radial construction available to make sure it stands up to all the hard riding you can throw at it. The overlapping tread pattern of the BajaCross supplies tons of grip and is made from an extended-life compound that ensures you’ll have that same awesome grip for plenty of time to come. For even more performance, ITP has stepped each and every lug on the BajaCross to improve predictable handling characteristics. The lugs wrap around the sidewall of the BajaCross for additional traction, but they also work with the extra-deep rim guard to protect the lip of your wheel when the terrain turns rocky. When you’re ready to get outstanding performance in whatever terrain you run into, rely on the BajaCross Tire from ITP.

Specs:
Radial Construction
Heavy 8-ply rating
Baja proven to handle the toughest and heaviest UTV applications and perform impressively on 4x4 and utility ATVs
Extended-life rubber compound and innovative overlapping tread pattern provide a smooth, predictable ride and slow wear characteristics
Stepped lugs provide consistent tread edges as the tire wears, for predictable performance throughout the life of the tire
Wraparound lugs provide improved shoulder protection while a super deep rim guard feature offers the best wheel lip protection in the business
Despite its strength, the BajaCross's advanced carcass design delivers the most comfortable, trail-compliant ride available

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I really miss the old ITP 589's. I've had them on quads,sidexsides and my 04 rtv 900. Heck of a tire .

ovrszd

Seery, thanks for adding data concerning these tires.

Still disappointed that we couldn't find good data on ITP regarding weight capacity. I'll try to remember to check mine today when I'm at the farm. Maybe the tire itself is labeled.

Loyalpoke

phil1841 I have never thought about choosing between bias and radial. There is a lot of info online but i am curious why you think radials is the choice.

ovrszd

Looked at my Blackwaters, no capacity on the tire. Seems like I read somewhere they were in the 800lb range depending on size but can't confirm.