MF 2640 --- Hydraulic Problem

BobbyP

I have to rev. the engine to get the steering to work , the loader is real slow, and the 2 speed only works off and on.. There are 7600 hrs. on the engine----7yrs. ago the HP checked out at 75 to 80 on a dyno.
Checked the switches and the solenoids on the 2 speed transmission---- were all working. Tractor is 4 wheel drive.
The Hydraulic oil looks clean---changed filters last winter----sometimes the oil is foamy when you check the dip stick.
Is assume the pump is getting week-----or is there a check valve in the system?
The operator’s manual says the Hyd. pump is mounted in the left-hand side cover.
Is that the one between the Hyd. filters and the rear wheel?
I assume I need to drain the oil and remove the rear tire to remove the pump.
Is there any tricks in removing the pump?
I need some direction on how to trouble shoot this and then how to take it apart.
Is the pump rebuild able?
We live In Wyoming and use the tractor for haying and to feed cows.
Bob

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi . Have you checked to see if you have a screen in the transmission? I don't know anything about your brand -but we have JD brands and they have a screen in the transmission that will become clogged and act like that. Just a hope because it is a simple cleaning when the transmission is being changed and it is done . It is not with the filter but actually in the transmission and looks like a large bolt from the outside but when removed, it draws out a pipe like screen that clogs easily- do you have a manual? It should be mentioned in it if you have this screen. . We had a similar problem on our JD7420 and cleaning it solved the problem. My Kioti DK 40 doesn't have a screen so not all tractors do . That's all I can offer, good luck to you. bordercollie