First mow of the season

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I suppose some of you already mowed a time or two, but I'm just now having to think about it. If things ever dry up I'll have to fire up the ole mower and cut some grass. At this point I'm kinda looking forward to it.....but I might deny that later down the road. :D

Tell us the date of your first mow of the season.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
We mowed my daughter's onions in her front yard with the LX176 yesterday, after an oil and filter change for the season. Does that count?

Regards

Fred

quincy

I mowed a couple of times over winter just to keep things tidy, the weather has been very mild here again this year.
I put out some general fertiliser 10 days ago and the lawn has started to green up over the last couple of days. Theres one or two bare spots to overseed yet, but on the whole, the lawn is waking up nicely.

Mith

Think I mowed first in January. Should go all the way through now to mid December.

Yesterday there was 4" of snow on the ground, today its warm enough to mow, and I would be if it wasn't so muddy.

Archdean

Have mowed the lawn twice so far, last being yesterday 6/April!

Today planted the garden with /corn/beats/onions/spinach/peas/swiss chard/culliflower/cucumbers/lettuce/radishs/flowers///except for the Greenhouse plants/tomatoes/peppers/broccoli/Brussels sprouts!

Also put the Bush hog on and started to cut the 5 acres that I use for an airfield! Grass about 8-10" high in places!

PBinWA

I mowed about three weeks ago. Then it snowed three days later.

Now it's just non-stop rain. :(

jbrumberg

I still have plenty of packed snow around here, but I did see a couple of daffodil shoots starting to emerge around the southside foundation of the house yesterday as well as the cement cap to my septic system. MUD SEASON is on its way :eek: ! Jay :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I did the 1st mow of the season tonight. Parts of the 4 acres were way tall and thick. Mostly areas our pets have fertilized extra good. Ground has dried up so that I didn't even mark it up much. :hide: A few spots I was a bit quick turning the ztr and it left a mark.

Erik

I was going to mow today - until the storm system moved in, then I just worked on the new kitchen cabinets and listened to the "heavy dew" coming in sideways...

Erik

finally the ground was dry enough for me not to tear it all to heck while haying - er, I mean - mowing it...

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Half of the first mow was Monday evening. Finished it up last night.

Jerry, I'm surprised you could wait so much longer than me to mow. You are about 2 hours away, diagonally on the map, (North West) but there is about two weeks between our first mows. Go figure.

And Erik, I would have suspected you would have mowed sooner also. Interesting.

My brother lives just 3 miles from me but he mowed a week before I did. He has river bottom soil, very rich and the grass grows better and faster there. Looks good but it also means he ends up mowing every 5 days instead of the normal 7 days I can wait between mows.

How many days can you all wait between mows?

N

Nicahawk

I started my first mow yesterday and will finish up today. All my grass is Buffalo, so it greens up a little later. Well, what the Bermuda hasn't taken over. Boy that is aggressive stuff!

Erik

Doc, it's been cold and wet a lot around here - and we keep having morning frost which has slowed down the growth a bit - but you're right, I was still a week past due for the mowing. In the spring I generally go a week to 10 days between cuts. mid to late summer I can generally go 2 weeks or longer, since I'm only mowing after it rains...

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Jerry, I'm surprised you could wait so much longer than me to mow. You are about 2 hours away, diagonally on the map, (North West) but there is about two weeks between our first mows. Go figure.
Doc, we got delayed because of rain and wet ground. Of course the rain made it shoot up like crazy and it was way overdue for mowing.

How many days can you all wait between mows?
Well, the first mow was April 21 and 22. Second mow was April 27. I may do it again tomorrow night and drop the deck down a little. SO around 5 days right now.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First mow for 2009 mowing season

Last weekend I got out the mower and fired it up. The battery is 4 years old now and I wondered if it had survived the off season. Yep, she fired right up. I ran it over to the house and added some air to the rear tires, used the compressor to blow some dust off of it and she's ready for action. I mowed three areas where the dog has fertilized and grass grows much faster and then put the mower back to bed in the pole barn.
Now the time is getting close to when I'll have to start mowing regularly again.
How about you? Have you started mowing already? Just for the heck of it how about posting the date of your first mow of the season.