2011 rtv900 rear axle bearings

bobmartins09

I am having trouble figuring out how to remove and replace my rear axle bearings.
I have the rear bar removed and the bearing is destroyed.
Do i need to press them out?
Also do they exit towards the inside Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You.....

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I am having trouble figuring out how to remove and replace my rear axle bearings.
I have the rear bar removed and the bearing is destroyed.
Do i need to press them out?
Also do they exit towards the inside Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You.....

Paging Bordercollie Paging Bordercollie :tiphat:

i remember a thread once a long time ago were Bordercollie did just that and had many many pics to help. someone will be along shortly i am sure

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Haha, Thank you Arthuritis . :) Here I am :) ... It was pretty easy to get the bearing to exit to the outside on my 2011 900. I made a DIY bearing puller with washers on a long bolt threaded all the way is best. First off, set the bar/rear on it's end so you can load up around the bearing's edges with a good lube like Kano oil/PBBlaster etc. I have pictures on that thread of that. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13788&highlight=rear+ujoints+needed
I assume you have already removed the axles?

In the pictures on that link above dated 7/17/15 (2011 RTV 900 , and 5/17/11(the 2005 RTV 900) you can see where there is a machined area where the bearing rests, so it will only come out toward the outside.
On my homemade bearing remover, It is correct that the stack of washers (large as possible and multiple numbers for strength) won't grab the whole bearing because they have to fit through the bearing's center, but you can gently and slowly nudge up the bearing while moving all the way around the it a bit at a time, slowly ratcheting the washers up and pulling up the bearing , by tightening up the nut and bolt holding the washers, much like the alternating of lugs when putting on a tire. It should come up that way if there is anything left to apply pressure to ( I was a little concerned though because you said "destroyed") Just be sure to soak good with the lube. That bearing puller is pictured on that thread too. I had to improvise with a couple of little blocks once the bearing got even with the top edge so I could fool the bearing remover to go up higher and clear the axle housing. collie

Last edited:

bobmartins09

Thank you Bordercollie and Arthuritis,
After i sent this i read the thread you are referring to. Its an awesome thread.
Thank you for your help i will take a few pics of what destroyed is when i go to the garage so you can see what i mean. I dont drive the Kubota i am the mechanic for a company here in San Jose,CA. These guys and girls just drive and dont listen to their machines and i get stuck with bigger problems than they needed to be. It wasnt until i was driving by the parked Kubota and saw the rt rear wheel at an angle.
I jacked it up and it was really wobbly. I will post some pics soon.And yes i have the axle pulled there was nothing to hold it in. Also the inner bearing is still in the tube. The outer bearing is just an outer ring with balls and metal pieces laying on the ground.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
if all that is left is the outer race you can heat the race real fast to red hot in just one spot with a rosebud while keeping the axle tube cool with wet towels. the race will shrink when it cools off to room temp and you can tap it out with a hammer.

bobmartins09

Looks like im going to have some fun here. i need to come accross a torch that will get hot enough to do what you suggested. i dont think my little propane torch will do it.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Looks like im going to have some fun here. i need to come accross a torch that will get hot enough to do what you suggested. i dont think my little propane torch will do it.

you will need an oxyacetylene torch for that. if you are carefull you can cut a slot in the bearing race without cutting into the housing too. or just take the whole thing to a machine shop and let them do it for you.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ouch ! That does look pretty sad... I wonder if the shafts are eat up too? If so, there are several aftermarket sources listed on the forum (unless the company that owns these machines want parts by oem). Best wishes. collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You can do it ! You have it half whipped already . :) Thank you for the pictures ! collie

bobmartins09

The job is complete.
It was a bear putting it up by myself.
Then after i got the axles lined up and started it went very quickly.
I was done before lunch time.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is great news Bobmartin . :) I know what you mean about working by yourself. It is a challenging job for one person.
I had my help from Him above or I would have never accomplished it, or anything else around here for that matter. :tiphat: collie