spider in the fuel tank of my X1100C

semper_fi

I had to take my Kubota X1100C to the shop. It kept dying on me. It would just shut off without warning. They found a spider in the fuel tank and it was covering the fuel outlet. They said this is the third one they have seen with this problem. It must have gotten up into the nozzle on my fuel spout and when I fueled up, it got flushed into the tank. They also said the first one took three days to figure out what was happening because when they drained the tank, that must have stuck to the side of the tank and then after they refilled the tank and took it out for a test, it got back down and covered the outlet again. At least that other guy paid for their education, not me.

I fuel from my farm tank and always check when fueling my gas tractors, but just never occurred to me to check the diesel nozzle. Guess I won't make that mistake anymore. lol

SF

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We have a problem with swarms of ladybugs here so I put a snug piece of capped pvc on our nozzle. It is long enough not to come off or get knocked off - guessing about 4 inches from memory. It keeps everything out . collie

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
My brother has one of those new highly efficient electronic natural gas furnaces in his home and a spider made a web in the output pipe and messed up the air/fuel mixture. The furnace just wouldn't stay lit. It took the furnace guys several service trips before they figured that one out. It wasn't a big spider either lol.

cowrider

Between the spiders and the mud wasps. Usually doesn't hit me till I notice fuel isn't coming out of the nozzle fast enough.

semper_fi

The problem with the Kubota's fuel tank is there isn't any screen to keep these kinds of things from clogging the opening. The service guy showed me a pen he had and told me that opening was that small in the tank. I guess it doesn't have to be real big as they only sip fuel, but it sure is a poor design.

SF :beatdeadhorse5:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
one thing i like about the RTV fuel tank is the filler hole is big enough to get your hand in,so you can reach in and clean it out if you need to

semper_fi

That's true, if you know there is a spider in the bottom. I'll check if this ever happens again.

Got the ole girl home today and it is supposed to snow tonight ..... just in time.

SF

:a1:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Got the ole girl home today and it is supposed to snow tonight ..... just in time.

SF

:a1:

The snow should arrive at your place any minute now. I'm a couple hundred miles west of you and we've been getting light snow all day. Don't get excited as there hasn't been much accumulation. BTW, temps are dropping quickly as well. It's almost down to single digits already.

semper_fi

The snow should arrive at your place any minute now. I'm a couple hundred miles west of you and we've been getting light snow all day. Don't get excited as there hasn't been much accumulation. BTW, temps are dropping quickly as well. It's almost down to single digits already.

I'm leaving in the morning, heading your way. I've got a camp down from Pigeon in the CCC camp. I'll be leaving the Bota in care of the wife to turn any snow back that happens. I'm going muzzleloader hunting.

SF

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good luck on your hunt! Brrrr, it's going to be cold for you. It was -1° here this morning and thinking Pigeon would be colder (everything is colder near Bradford).

10-e-c-dirt

The same thing happen to me, only it was a piece of black plastic like the tank is made from, I just assumed it was from the manufacturing process.. QUALITY CONTROL messed up..

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
A picture of the nozzle cover: It works and slides right on and off easily... collie

Attachments

• 0108171644.jpg
    0108171644.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 0108171645.jpg
    0108171645.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 131

ovrszd

Made mine from a piece of electrical conduit pipe. More concerned with road dust since it's on a bed tank.

Attachments

• 20170110_090516 (1280x720).jpg
    20170110_090516 (1280x720).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 20170110_090542 (1280x720).jpg
    20170110_090542 (1280x720).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 114

semper_fi

Anybody know of a filter that would install in the fuel tank inlet to prevent debris from entering the tank in the first place?

SF

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
You might want to consider a "Mr. Funnel ". They can be found online and a search on the Forum will give you a number of posts referencing their use. They can be used to filter gas/diesel fuels and are especially useful to eliminate water contamination. A lil ole spider won't get through.

However, it works like you expect a regular funnel would and I don't see how it could be installed in the fuel tank inlet.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
It happens a lot more often than you'd think.

A dead, dry leaf and a wasp got me on two separate occasions. After I broke the outlet nipple off and had to get a new tank I've been a lot more careful. :pat:

Dirt daubers in the nozzle got the tractor at the farm.