RTV1100 evaporator leak

aarkie

Over the years I have had to take the ac apart and clean the evaporator a couple of times because the filters did not keep the dust out and it stops up so you don't get much air flow. It developed a leak this year and needed to be repaired or replaced. Using the part number I found the price of a new one ranges from just over $400 to nearly $1000. Then I found a third party that cost about $85 by the time I paid shipping. For that price it was not worth trying to repair the old one. I installed it yesterday and the fit was great. Pulled a good vacuum, made sure it would hold, and charged it. It's working great. The evaporator is made by Omega and the part # is 27-34051. I got it from Trucker's AC. I found some other places had it from $100-150. It's a PITA to take it apart to change out because the top section of the unit is all one piece. You have to mark, disconnect the heater lines and plug them to pull the top and get to the evaporator to change it. You have one screw hid in the middle just to the left side of the heater that has to be taken out to get it apart along with a bunch all around the outside edge. It could have been made with a two piece top cover and made it easier to take apart.

aarkie

I think its a 08 or 9. I got it used. I just get tired of the high cost of parts from the dealer and how hard it is to find aftermarket parts that are correct. It gets hot quick if the air quits. I hate to leave the front open because I had a rear window on a tractor break while it was open.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
my 1100 is an 07 and i understand what you mean about cooking without AC. just for grins someday i might take a door off of the X1100 and see if it will fit the 1100. then you can just roll down the window. could you just saw the cover into two pieces and replace?

aarkie

I thought about it but then you would need something to put over the joint you just made. I don't know if AC joint tape for ductwork will stick to the plastic and work. Something else that might work is a metal strip with foam backing screwed down across the joint. What I did on the heater hose was use a pair of vise grip needle nose to cramp the hose to remove them then used a 1/2" extension to plug them.