BX 2230 hose heater

1kubota

Hi All,
It's been awhile since if checked in. Yeah shame on me and of course I need help.
I want to install a heater in my bottom radiator hose on my BX2230. I looked everywhere to find the inside diameter of the hose with no luck. I know someone in the group will know.
Also has anyone installed a heater and where did they buy it also how many volt? 600 - 750 ??

Thank you
Larry

Kanook

The parts manual doesn't specify the hose diameter ....but I think the upper hose is the same size. You could pull the upper from the rad and measure. I have never had very good luck with lower rad hose inline heaters,either leaking or burning themselves out and use block heaters for my equipment...but if you go the inline route I would recommend a low wattage one. I don't own a BX, my RTV and B2650 have block heaters.

1kubota

Thanks Kanook,
Sounds like a block heater is the best. I would have to remove a freeze plug to use a block heater?
Larry

Kanook

Thanks Kanook,
Sounds like a block heater is the best. I would have to remove a freeze plug to use a block heater?
Larry

Just a word of caution....get the block heater from Kubota that is specific to your model tractor (installation instructions were included with the ones I've done)...some are tapped in and some are screw in and what you need is determined by the engine in your tractor.

1kubota

Kanook,
I checked with my local dealer. The part # for my BX2230 is ( 70000-00298 ) $44.88 + tax. Need to remove a freeze plug to install. Doesn't look too difficult. One plug is by the oil dipstick, two more on the other side of engine in front of fuel solenoid. Easy to get to but are higher on the engine than the one by the dipstick.
Do you think it would make any difference which spot was used?
Haven't ordered the heater yet.
Thanks
Larry N.W. Indiana

Kanook

I would go with the location that is easiest to access....but the dealer should advise you where best to locate it...sometimes there can be internal restrictions that the heater loop might touch..As I said, the ones I've done included instructions and I think (it's been a while) the install location is indicated.

1kubota

After checking further I found a different block heater part # 70000-00771 . I'm going to buy the heater through my Kubota dealer so as to get the right one. This one looks correct.
Larry

Attachments

• 70000-00771 Block Heater.pdf
    269.6 KB · Views: 19

1kubota

Decided on Block Heater

Hi All, I finally decided to order a freeze plug type block heater for my BX 2230. I ordered it through the local Kubota dealer so as to get the correct heater. It cost me $89.54 including Indiana sales tax. The dealer had to order it and it should be in by early next week? I hope.. I will post pictures of the freeze plug removal and block heater installation. The part # is 70000-00771.

Larry
Northern,In

Attachments

• 70000-00771 Block Heater.pdf
    269.6 KB · Views: 20

1kubota

Doc and OhioTC18, Thanks for the thank you.
Hopefully I'll get my block heater soon so I can post pics of installation

Larry

1kubota

Hi folks, I guess I neglected to post pictures of block heater installation. Actually I forgot my password to log in. Had to keep trying different passwords until I got correct one.
Anyway I purchased and installed the heater. It worked really well for 2 years, then it failed. I'm not too happy about that. I used a slide hammer to remove it. Now I'm going to order another one. This time I'll take pictures of installation.
Larry

Kanook

Did it just quit working??....and did you use it frequently?? The block heater that I installed in my Kubota RTV quit also, but I haven't replaced it. You used a slide hammer to get the old one out? I was curious how to remove.

1kubota

Dear Kanook, Yes it just quit working. I didn't use it very often, maybe 20 times in the two years I had it installed. My heater is the tap in type, therefore pulled out with slide hammer. model of my heater is 70000-00771 .

1kubota

Kanook, I case you are interested I did post pictures of my block heater install. Check 2/28/15 postings. I forgot I posted the pictures. Must be the dammed old timers disease. lol

Larry aka 1 kubota

bx'r

A new kubota block heater will only last one and a half seasons in my bx2370 tractor.
The longest I've left it on is an hour and a half.
The element goes open on them.