Kubota Bx 2230

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I got a close look at a BX 2230 this past weekend. I thought it would have all the electronics like Kubota put on the L3130 but it didn't. I didn't see the tach and asked if it had a digital tachometer. The owner said "Nope, no tach at all". So I asked how you know when your RPM is at 540 when running your brush hog or other attachments that run at that speed.
He said the dealer told him to just run it at full throttle to achieve the right RPM. He has tried it and it works just fine, but that sure surprised me.

Other BX owners how do you judge when your PTO is at the right RPM ...do you just go full throttle or what?

Junkman

Administrator
I have a finely tuned ear that can tell the differance between speeds within a 10% margin...

larryRB

I believe that after awhile, regardless of machine, one can tell by how it is cutting and adjusts the throttle accordingly. Most I've ever run the L 48 with hog mower is at 2100 and that is for real heavy knotted stuff,

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My L3010 pto is at 540 at 2700 rpm. At least with a tach you have visual verification and can go lower or higher depending on the situation. I was simply surprised that they didn't put a tach on the BX. They are by no means a cheap tractor and you could add a tach for 20, maybe 30 dollars at production time.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
the new 1850/2350 series has a digital tach.

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, with a digital tach, how do you know what the sweet spot is for 540 rpm at the PTO?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So, with a digital tach, how do you know what the sweet spot is for 540 rpm at the PTO?

I'm sure the engine speed to pto rpm is buried in the manual.

There's a small chance there is a label on the tach :hide:

Barred

My BX 2230

I happen to have the BX 2230 Doc got a close look at. He asked me to get on this site and take a look around. Happy I did! I rented a dozer this week and cleared around 2 acres of brush to plant new grass, (get more seat time in future, :smile:) once the dozing was complete I hooked up my father-in-laws homemade seeder spreader to my tractor with the (homemade) PTO shaft and started spreading seed. The PTO shaft is made of rubber hose and attatches to the PTO with hose clamps. I proceeded to spread seed when I suddenly smelled burnt rubber, I paused to make sure the rubber hose was not turning on the PTO and it appeared to be fine. I continued to empty the seeder. I went back to get another load of seed and noticed hydraulic fluid leaking from around the PTO shaft. The hose clamp had slid up and rubbed against the PTO seal. I hope to replace the seal this week so I can finish seeding.
Well, just thought you guys would get a laugh after hearing this.
Barry

PBinWA

Barred - We want pictures! Especially, of home made stuff!

We'll be gentle in our comments (maybe)!

Welcome!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Barry! Great to see you posting.
Thanks for sharing the story. :D

Do try to get some pics of the home made spreader and all. We like that kind of 'stuff'. :thumb: :D

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
I believe that after awhile, regardless of machine, one can tell by how it is cutting and adjusts the throttle accordingly. Most I've ever run the L 48 with hog mower is at 2100 and that is for real heavy knotted stuff,

That's the way I run my bx2200. Once you have run it a while, you'll know where the sweet spot is.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't run an engine wide open for an extended period of time. The most I have ever been able to do is to run an engine at 3/4 throttle. Bob