Snow Blower Ordered

SVG

Just ordered a 72” Berco snowblower for my RTV. It’s the self powered version (24 HP Honda engine) since my old girl doesn’t have a PTO.

I had every intention of getting a Boss V-Plow but changed my mind after talking to locals here about it.

Should have it in a week or so. Will give an update after a few uses.

Lee1935

I've never used a mounted snowblower before, but for the past 41 years I've owned the biggest self propelled snowblower I could find. The chief enemy of snowblowers on roads and trails are obstacles to small to see when covered with snow rocks, scrap wood, vehicle junk, dead animals ☺ all of which if you are lucky will just stop you long enough to replace a shear pin☺

Luck with your project and do post updates MERRY CHRISTMAS

Kanook

SVG, Congrats on you're blower purchase. Please give us an evaluation. It sounds similar to a unit that a member ONFOOT (who we haven't heard from in ages) up in the YUKON had.

foxalaska

Just ordered a 72” Berco snowblower for my RTV. It’s the self powered version (24 HP Honda engine) since my old girl doesn’t have a PTO.

I had every intention of getting a Boss V-Plow but changed my mind after talking to locals here about it.

Should have it in a week or so. Will give an update after a few uses.

What did folks not like about the Boss V-Plow? I'm about ready to buy one.

SVG

The Boss plows are a fantastic product. I may get one in the future.
The issue for me is that over the course of a winter our private road gets
“necked-in” by the snow banks on either side. A blower solves this problem
by throwing the snow a good distance from the road.

My neighbor has a plow on his tractor. He’s been maintaining the road by himself
and it takes him some time. We’ll tag team the road once I get setup. He’ll push the snow to one side of the road and I’ll follow him with the blower to make it disappear.

foxalaska

The Boss plows are a fantastic product. I may get one in the future.
The issue for me is that over the course of a winter our private road gets
“necked-in” by the snow banks on either side. A blower solves this problem
by throwing the snow a good distance from the road.

My neighbor has a plow on his tractor. He’s been maintaining the road by himself
and it takes him some time. We’ll tag team the road once I get setup. He’ll push the snow to one side of the road and I’ll follow him with the blower to make it disappear.

Thank you very much for the reply and understand your reasoning. I maintained a rural airport in Alaska and wished many times I had a blower to remove the berm along the runway lights. The downfall of blowers, from my experience, was hard objects shearing pins including chunks of ice.

SVG

Update, used the blower for the first time yesterday. Very heavy snow after some rain & higher temperatures. The unit worked like a champ. Went through (2) shear pins though. One broke when I was carving through a 3’ bank, the other broke when a 10”~ rock made an appearance.
The only thing I think I’ll need to modify is the turnbuckle system where the frame rail triangulates to the front suspension. Despite being as hand tight as I could get them they would loosen up every time (had a fun 1 hour walk with a flashlight last night successfully looking for one that fell off).

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
PS. What are you using for shear bolts? I normally just use low-grade bolts of the same diameter. No grade-5 or grade-8, just the cheap ones you buy by the pound at Tractor Supply.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Safety the turnbuckle with a piece of wire rope in a figure 8.

Heres a picture of three turnbuckles on a communication tower

Attachments

• 6B9069CA-420C-4453-ACC3-C7DD2D6B3A3A.jpg
    6B9069CA-420C-4453-ACC3-C7DD2D6B3A3A.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 134

SVG

I got to close to a side hill and drew the rock from its winter slumber.

Thanks for the diagram. Since these turnbuckles are designed for quick detachment I put a locking nut on the side with right-hand thread. Should work fine.

SVG

Update: Back in business. It was an electrical issue. The clutch wasn’t getting the proper voltage. One wire replaced.