another 900 starting issue...

whitakerfarmstn

Long time viewer first time poster...

Searched for a while but couldn't find anything - so here it goes

Bought a used 2011 kub 900 this summer. 2000 hrs. Noticed that sometimes (when i felt like the fuel tank got somewhat low) it would hesitate when starting up for the first time, it would run rough as if air was in the sytem for about 5 seconds then go back to normal - if i ran it around the farm turned it off and started again, it would never have a problem, only the first startup of the day. Figured when i serviced it, the problem would go away. New air filters, fuel filters, etc. bled the system. Still would do it, but never bad enough not to start.

Then it got cold. It would take me 45 secs - 1 min to get this thing started in the cold, and only after multiple attempts, and holding the pedal half way down would it finally get cranked... Pulled the glow plugs, no issue there. Re bled the system, re did the filters - no change.

Its almost as if air is getting in the system or something because when it starts up its runs rough for about 5 secs sometimes will shut off, crank it again, shuts off, then finally give it more gas and it'll run rough than level out. Again, if its 10 degrees outside its only the first start up of the day. If i start and stop it its fine, but if i let it sit for an hour or so, it gets to be hard to start again. Any ideas? thanks in advance!

kennyr

Your starting seems fairly normal to me. I have a new x900 (less than 25 hours) and it will run rough for 5 seconds when started the first time of the day. Cold weather takes about 15-20 sec for the glow plugs to heat up. My Kubota BX2380 starts pretty much the same. If it smooths out and runs fine and starts again after it warms up. Sounds pretty much like a Kubota diesel to me.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It sounds like what happened to me several years ago with our tractor and skid steer. I put on new fuel lines and new quality clamps and it solved the issue. bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Also should mention to just check the clamps first because they could be letting a little air in but not yet leaking. ( the tractor and skid steer weren't leaking fuel but did let air in and just enough to loose prime . It took a bit of cranking to pull up the fuel each morning and it would be ok for the rest of the day but the next morning the same old same oh. These 2 machines had troubles in different years - thought I should mention that. bordercollie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
sounds like you might have a slight amount of air in the system. could be a weak primary fuel pump or you could just have a cold nature diesel . it doesn't sound from your description to be to serious though. have you tried glowing the engine for 30 seconds and then just as soon as it kicks off re apply the glow plugs until it runs smooth? i used to have a 19693 cat that would sputter and spit almost shaking itself out of the truck at 60 degrees outside. the glow plug trick solved that issue. good luck

Kanook

You did not specify a general geographic location. You indicate 10 degrees temperature ... is that farenheit of celsius?? If 10F you are getting into block heater territory..I have found that my diesels like a little warming or a lot of glow plug when in this temperature range....10f = minus 12C.

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
have you tried glowing the engine for 30 seconds and then just as soon as it kicks off re apply the glow plugs until it runs smooth?
Can we do that on the RTV? That requires turning the key back towards the off position.

I know my RTV doesn't like to start when it's cold. :(

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Can we do that on the RTV? That requires turning the key back towards the off position.

I know my RTV doesn't like to start when it's cold. :(

Yep! at least on my 08 and 14 models you can. i start mine at 10 F and below all the time and with the glow technique i describe there is very little rough running. i was trained on Caterpillars with PC engines and in sub 0 you had to glow for several minutes, but i seldom glow more than 15 seconds on my Bota. the ole big cats all had pony engines and we warmed the big diesel with that pony and then spun them for a couple of minutes before throwing the fuel to them. now that was fun:thewave:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks. I didn't know that. Going on 14 years with my RTV and have never even thought of it. But then again, mine is garaged and gets a block and tranny heater plugged in on really cold days.