Stupid question, BX2230

fishhead2005

Hello All, I'm new to the tractor family. Just purchased a 2006 Kubota BX2230 with 130 hours. It has FEL & Woods backhoe on it, and I also have a 60 inch belly mower and 4 foot box scraper that came with the tractor. My question is can I attach the belly mower while the backhoe & FEL are attached? I'm trying to figure out why my mid mount levers won't lower for me to attach the mower. I'm speculating that I can't attach the mower while the backhoe is attached because there isn't enough hydraulic reserve or the hydraulic fluid isn't making it to the mid mount because of the connections to the backhoe.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, the headlights don't come on...any suggestions or is there a systematic issue with these headlights? I can't imagine that they both would burn out with only 130 hours on the tractor. Again, thank you in advance.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi fishead and welcome to Net Tractor Talk.
Nice tractor you got there. I have backhoe envy. :D
I would guess that you are right when thinking that you cannot operate the mid mount mower while the backhoe is on, but that is a guess.
On my Kubota (Grand L 3010) I have a lever to switch from rear PTO to the mid mount PTO. Your tractor might have such a lever also. If so that is why you cannot lower to attach the mower.

fishhead2005

Thanks for the information Doc. I do have the lever switch between the mid and rear PTO and I have tried both (for kicks and grins) just in case they somehow got reversed, but no such luck. The only thing different that I learned later last night (after watching a You Tube video) is that the mid mount has locks or locking pins to hold it up in the upward position. I thought I had them both out/unlocked last night, but I might have done them independently and so that could also be the reason that I can't lower the mid-mount PTO. We just moved and I need to cut the grass, but I will need the backhoe as soon as I get some spare time to deepen the culvert along our up-hill gravel driveway. Again, thanks for the input and welcoming me to the forum. I'm excited to get out and play on it, but with the move and work, I don't get much time for anything else.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhhh, yep, I bet you figured it out with those pins.
We understand about seat time. Most of us would like more of it but with life's other requirements it can be hard to squeeze in at times .... x 10 when moving. That is an all consuming chore unto itself. Good luck with all you have on your plate.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Most of the posters I've read who have both a backhoe and a mid-mount mower don't want to leave the backhoe on while mowing, both for weight issues and for maneuverability. Some tractors use the three-point hitch to lift the mower, which you can;t very well use with the backhoe mounted. Most backhoes made in the past few years are easily mounted and dismounted, it just takes a little practicde to do it quickly.

fishhead2005

Thanks guys. I got some time to play this evening...the mid pto hitch was just stuck...guess from sitting. I got the belly mower working and she's a dream (the deck was only used a couple times), but now I have two other issues. The headlight and temperature gauge don't work. Fuse is good, no loose connections that I can see...any suggestions??? Again, I appreciate your input.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The headlight and temperature gauge don't work.

...any suggestions???
Maglite_flashlight.jpg

thermometer.jpg

:) :tiphat:

I don't have a BX but wonder if there's a relay in play.

Do you mean the headlight indicator on the dash doesn't work or the headlights themselves don't work. If the former, I wonder if there's a loose connection in the wiring harness behind the dash.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking I would take a multi meter and check that power is getting to the bulb socket and the temp gauge. If no power then Brian might be right on with his guess about the relay. I agree that it is curious that both head lights are out at the same time.

Congrats on getting the mower deck going. That's a biggie.

fishhead2005

lights came on as I was using the tractor...ta dahh! this tractor is awesome, I got done with cutting the grass and then raised the deck and then cut high grass along the edge of the yard and then down through the woods. pushed some trees out of the way, leveled the edge of the driveway...OMG this is fun. Now I just need to get the temperature gauge to read...another day.

1kubota

Thanks guys. I got some time to play this evening...the mid pto hitch was just stuck...guess from sitting. I got the belly mower working and she's a dream (the deck was only used a couple times), but now I have two other issues. The headlight and temperature gauge don't work. Fuse is good, no loose connections that I can see...any suggestions??? Again, I appreciate your input.
Should be a plastic knob under the seat to adjust the mower deck lift linkage it's probably turned to the far up position. I wouldn't mow with the backhoe attached.
Lucky fella you are with a backhoe. Too many $$$$$$ for me.
Larry
Northern,In

1kubota

Hello, Could you tell me what model woods backhoe you have? Is it a regular mount or 3 point hitch with pto driven hydraulic pump? The reason I'm asking, I've never been able to find a regular mount backhoe for my bx2230. I know the bx23 and newer bx25 have.

Thanks
Larry aka 1kubota
Northern,In

1kubota

Head lights

Hi Fishhead,

I had problem with 4 way flashers not working. I popped the switch out of the dash, disassembled cleaned, reassembled. Works great. All three switches are similar. Pried switch out using small flat blade screwdriver, work all the way around so switch comes out straight. Wire plug didn't come through dash so I unplugged as I removed switch.

Remove screen under dash to get fingers under dash.

Larry aka 1kubota

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I replaced the headlight switch after several bouts of it working and not. The inside was corroded. It was about 12 bucks at the dealer.