Kubota BX1500D information needed.

WyoBXer

I am a newbie to tractors. I’ve had shoulder surgery on one side and am likely to have surgery on the other side as well. I have to face the fact that that I can’t do everything I used to. I have a 4.5-acre lot with a large garden. So, I wanted to be able to move snow, move dirt, mow the field and till the garden.

I have a tight budget, so I wanted to buy a used sub compact tractor.
After watching for one for a couple of years a 12-year-old Kubota BX1500 with less than 500 hours of run time became available at a reasonable price and I travelled 90 miles to purchase it. It has an LA181 FEL, a mid-mount mower, and back blade. I hope to add a snow blade and a rear tiller at some point.

The prior owner had quite bit of work done to it to make it ready for sale and provided the invoices. New seat, new belts, oil changed, filters changed, new headlight assembly and switch. Mower deck got a new wheel, new blades, and one of the spindles replaced.

But, of course, there are some issues. First, no owner’s manual. Didn’t seem like much of a problem at first as it was assumed that copies were available for download online.

It seems that is true for nearly everything other that the BX1500. It turns out this tractor was only made for three years, 2003 to 2005. Mine is a 2005. So, I went to the local dealer to see if they could order one for me. The answer was yes, and the cost was $20.
I ordered one. Turns out the dealer didn’t research enough to find out that the manual was one that superseded a previous version and now applied to BX1800 and BX2200 only.

The dealer said they couldn’t refund a special order, even if it was wrong. They also said it would be virtually the same, so it shouldn’t be an issue.

There is plenty that is not the same.
• Specifications – different engine means different fluid capacities
• 3 pt hitch – this manual says Cat 1 but dealer and others have said mine is Cat 0
• Are the dimensions really the same?
• Implement Limitations Spec Page – are they correct for the 1500?
• Instrument Panel (dash) – definitely not the same
• Fuse Block - 1800 & 2200 are different, so I suspect the 1500 is also different.

These last two points are an issue for me at the moment. The dash is missing the lens over the Low Fuel light. The graphics for the other lights have disintegrated. Upon removing the plastic face (most of the adhesive had failed) I found several socket areas to be empty with no bulb or bulb socket. I don’t know what each bulb represents and have no reference in the new manual. I have figured out a few from a 1500 specific parts manual I was able to download. Also, tail lights and turn signals not currently working.

I know there have to be others who still own and operate this little tractor. If anyone can help me with any of the above missing information I would deeply appreciate it.

open

open

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey there Wyo BXer. Welcome to our forums.
I do believe you will be happy with your purchase in the long run. Kubota makes quality products. Made to last.
Some of the info you are after is housed at a site called tractor data. It is copyrighted so I'll just put the link here. Be sure o look at the tabs for more details on some things.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/3/0/5301-kubota-bx1500.html

Also many of us have dealt with Messicks, a quality Kubota dealer in PA.

http://www.messicks.com/tractorparts

He has a web site for ordering, plus they have a helpful staff that might be able to dig up a shop manual for the BX1500. As a rule those manuals have all kinds great info, but they cost more. If my memory is correct I paid $60 for the shop manual for my tractor and I would highly recommend all tractor owners get a shop manual for their respective tractors.

It is hard to find a good used tractor but it sounds like you found good one. Some of the little things, lights etc you can tinker with but overall it sounds like a solid unit, especially with less than 500 hours on it. Good luck to you. :tiphat:

Edit to add: It seems truely lame of your dealer when you go in and special order a manual for a BX1500, he gets in one for a BX1800 and BX2200 and he simply says they are the same. True BS. Some dealers suck.

WyoBXer

Thanks for the welcome. I'm hopeful that another BX1500 owner will come across my post and be able to fill in the blanks. I have been through several websites including Messick's and Tractordata, I've read dozens of threads on multiple forums and I've watched 30 plus Youtube videos. I have gathered quite a bit of information but there are still some gaps to fill in.

I'm hesitant to order any more manuals as I now believe the manuals I am looking for are out of print and out of stock.

I feel now that the knowledge gained by the first hand experience of other owner's is my best bet now. Thank you for the opportunity.

WyoBXer

Okay, so I've been through Kubota's site a number of times but it wasn't until tonight that I found a link on their site to a third party site apparently licensed by Kubota to provide operator manuals for discontinued products through a number of formats including Print, CD or PDF (downloadable).

Why didn't my dealer know this. I was able to download manuals for the BX1500, the LA181 FEL and the 54" mower deck and have full access to them in a matter of minutes. There is a cost, and it is different for each format. I was able to purchase the 3 manual for $29 total. That's only $7 more than I had to pay the dealer for one wrong manual.

I wasn't able to find a manual for the B2004 back blade nor do they have the Workshop Manuals, but I am so happy to have all the rest. :clap:

https://kubota-store.fontisbrandcenter.com

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is awesome!!!! Thanks for that link. Evidently that dealer is busy selling his new stuff and doesn't care much for those of us buying used Kubota stuff.

There is not much to a blade so I doubt you need a manual for that anyway. No loss there. That is something that many of us might help with as blade operations / uses are the same no matter the size of the tractor doing the work. Good luck with your shouder surgery recovery.

kubota1

BX1500 info

Hello, I have a pdf parts list for your BX1500. Sent private message , I will sent pdf. Pdf is over the mb limit to attach to posting.

kubota1

1kubota

bx1500

Wyobxer, I have a pdf parts list for your bx1500. Sorry about the confusion of where to send a private message to. long story.

1kubota