First mow of the season

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm in Pigeon Forge Tn. A family outing. Staying in a house that sleeps 12. Swimming pool and hot tub in basement. Nice nice nice ..... but I really was responding to say down here in Dollywood, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge the grass is so green, trees are budding. Awesome. I suspect folks down here either have mowed or are real close to mowing.
To me it says there is hope, I suspect I'll be mowing in two weeks. It was 81 here yesterday. Cooler today because a rain storm passed through. But nice. I'm looking forward to the 80 degree days at home more than the mowing for sure. LOL

Kanook

April 6 2014....first mow of the season was not too successful...Will have to rethink my mowing strategy....Maybe I should have followed my helpers advice.

Attachments

• mow the snow1.jpg
    mow the snow1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 625
  • mow thw snow2.jpg
    mow thw snow2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 606

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm in Pigeon Forge Tn. A family outing. Staying in a house that sleeps 12. Swimming pool and hot tub in basement. Nice nice nice ..... but I really was responding to say down here in Dollywood, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge the grass is so green, trees are budding. Awesome. I suspect folks down here either have mowed or are real close to mowing.
To me it says there is hope, I suspect I'll be mowing in two weeks. It was 81 here yesterday. Cooler today because a rain storm passed through. But nice. I'm looking forward to the 80 degree days at home more than the mowing for sure. LOL

Doc, the Bass Pro Shop is in Kodak on the other side of I40.

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
first mow 2014

I saw the bass pro shop Jim, looks HUGE. I didn't stop there, or a lot of places that I might have. Traffic traffic traffic. I could not believe how thick traffic was this early in the season. It took us an hour to get out of Pigeon Forge last Sunday. Our own fault cause we just had to stop at a couple more places for the wife. Otherwise I could have taken a short cut.
Pigeon Forge it nice but if I'm going to travel I'd rather go to the beach. I love the ocean.

Now, back on topic. I did my first mow of the season today. I was probably 4 days late. Grass was extra high in some spots. Sure is nice to see everything greening up and budding. Now I'll be mowing every week till fall. Not complaining. Glad to put winter behind us. :D

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It'll probably be another week or so for us. I picked up 500# of 19-19-19 over the weekend and will be putting that down soon. Then the grass will really start growing.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I planned to mow this past weekend but I decided to let it snow one more time.

Jim

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's Easter weekend!

attachment.php

10151157_10202259150135065_2223983023100621069_n.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Since I've kept track, I've had the first mow of season one time in March. Usually it's closer to mid april.
3 days ago I never thought I'd have to mow for a long while. Then it rained Friday, now the grass has greened up so much that I might be mowing as soon as a week from now.

How about you guys, when is or was your first mow of season? I like to keep track just to see how it varies.

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
first mow.....

easter sunday and mom started hollering to get the bad boy out and mow the grass!!@@ so to day is the first mow for 2015 for me......spent most of the time wondering about the Mule........I see there is no word this afternoon.....bet he is playen with the aids...they are the good looken ones!!!!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First mow 2015
Mowed today for the first time this year. Might be my latest mow of the more recent years, since I've kept track. after the rain last week the grass greened up and started growing fast. I could've mowed a day or two ago if I was not busy with other stuff.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Mowed today for the first time this year. Might be my latest mow of the more recent years, since I've kept track. after the rain last week the grass greened up and started growing fast. I could've mowed a day or two ago if I was not busy with other stuff.

I mowed a little yesterday in 20 mph winds. The winds are calm today and tomorrow so I got the sprayer out today to apply some pasture pro to get a start on weed control. Thay worked fine until a few minutes ago. The tee that splits the feed to the nozzles on the boom split and started spraying liquid all over the place :hammer:

Just got back from Tractor Supply with $5.58 worth of parts. Seems like I can't start anything without making a trip into town for parts.

Jim

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Doc I mowed mine for the first time last Thursday. I had been needing it for a while but didn't get around to it till then. Now it will be every week or two till thanksgiving. And the pollen is a wow factor here right now. :wave:

Kanook

Grass Mowing????????

Still frost in the ground here and patches of snow still hanging on. Probably another month before the mower gets some exercise...and then it will likely be like a barber giving a mostly bald man a trim.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pollen is not so bad here yet. But a week ago I thought it would be two or three weeks till I had to mow. Once it greened up it grew fast and demanded attention. Be ready ... it might surprise ya Kanook.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Did my first mow of the year yesterday. Half the yard needed it, the other half not so much but did the whole thing anyway.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, mine was the same, but, like you, I mowed it all anyway. Now it needed mowed again 5 days later. Wanted to strech it to a week but could not do it. should be mowing thursday of this week.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Well, I tried my first mow of the season today even though it had rained some yesterday. About 30 mins into it I wasn't paying attention to what the ground conditions were. Yep mud and I'm stuck with the ZTR. I usually try to watch the front wheels and when They are throwing water it's time to back out. Too late. Got the New Holland and about 75 ft of chain out to pull it out of the mud. Spare all the details, but almost an hour later, they are both back is the barn where they should have stayed.

OrangeBuggy

I did my first mow of the season yesterday. Started raining this evening and we have a 90% change for tomorrow. So well more then likely be mowing next weekend also.