Transmission problems RTV 900

SteveF

New here and hopefully can find some answers. My 900 has already been in the shop 2 times this year so would love to save some $$ if I could fix this problem myself. Have read some threads on transmission problems and the fixes so here goes my problem:
Transmission no longer has low or medium only high and reverse. It's neutral is more toward the medium location than true neutral. Have tried adjusting the linkage which does work for a time! Please if there is anyone out there HELP.

Thanks in advance for any advice that I could put to good use!!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
SteveF,
When it was brought to the shop, was it brought there for the reason you are talking about.

It sounds like linkage for sure. Do you have a shop manual ?

What does the Kubota mechanics say ?

SteveF,
Check your private messages.

doggman

Do a search for Stuck in Reverse on this site. There might be a fix for you there.

It sounds like one of the shift forks in the transmission has either jumped off the slider for moving the gears or it broke. It usually happens from from forcing the shifter to get into gear.

It's not hard to get to but it's hard to descibe how to get it back into place. If you have some mechanical aptitude then you can do it. After all - I did it...

cov62431

I agree with guns sounds like linkage adjustment. Look at your ball studs. Since you may need to remove them from the levers to adjust. they may not have gotten tightened all the way back up. Any play will could effect your adjustment.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
SteveF and others needing it: If you need info out of the manual on how to adjust the cables , PM me and I will send you a link to my google album with it's adjustment is displayed there. The page has a zoom feature so that the it can be enlarged. It will show how to adjust the cables under the cargo area and those under the hood. Others with a workshop manual will find it on page : 2S-14. I'll leave it there for the rest of this year. Unfortunately due to copyright laws,I can't make it public but can send the link to whoever asks I will reset the link from time to time. bordercollie

SteveF

Two Guns...no it was for rear bearings first one side...........then a few months later bearings again only opposite side!!!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I replied to your email
See if this helps you any >>>>

Also, how many hours do you have on your machine that you are replacing rear bearing in ?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Here are a few pictures of the cables and the position they are adjusted to under the hood of my '05.I took them with a flash after dark. My '05 shifts great- like butter. so I wanted a record of the positions.Also, The shifter is in the dead center of the H when these pictures were taken. I haven't taken any under the cargo. Will try to do that before it is picked up. bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF3775.JPG
    DSCF3775.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 445
  • DSCF3776.JPG
    DSCF3776.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 432
  • DSCF3778.JPG
    DSCF3778.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 429
  • DSCF3779.JPG
    DSCF3779.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 434

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Shift cable under '05 bed

This is a picture of the cables under my RTV900 cargo bed. The shift lever is in dead center of the H when picture was taken. I thought I had several taken with a ruler but can't find them. The '05 has been sold and picked up but I will look through picasa for any ones better. bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF3785.JPG
    DSCF3785.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 410

Tact

SteveF and others needing it: If you need info out of the manual on how to adjust the cables , PM me and I will send you a link to my google album with it's adjustment is displayed there. The page has a zoom feature so that the it can be enlarged. It will show how to adjust the cables under the cargo area and those under the hood. Others with a workshop manual will find it on page : 2S-14. I'll leave it there for the rest of this year. Unfortunately due to copyright laws,I can't make it public but can send the link to whoever asks I will reset the link from time to time. bordercollie

Please send me the link:

Thanks

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
OK Tact .It's been sent. Let me know if you don't get it. I hope the picasa enlargement feature works for you, The magnifier it uses shows better detail than the book image. bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sure thing- let me know if it doesn't work. The pages are out of order but they are numbered ( page numbers are visible after they are enlarged) bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This is a picture of the cables under my RTV900 cargo bed. The shift lever is in dead center of the H when picture was taken. I thought I had several taken with a ruler but can't find them. The '05 has been sold and picked up but I will look through picasa for any ones better. bordercollie

I found a picture of the cable measurements under the cargo bed of my '05. Here we go. My '05 shifted well so I wanted to document the way they appeared with a ruler for reference.

Attachments

• DSCF3782.JPG
    DSCF3782.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 305

qhcolt

Do a search for Stuck in Reverse on this site. There might be a fix for you there.

It sounds like one of the shift forks in the transmission has either jumped off the slider for moving the gears or it broke. It usually happens from from forcing the shifter to get into gear.

It's not hard to get to but it's hard to descibe how to get it back into place. If you have some mechanical aptitude then you can do it. After all - I did it...

can you tell me how, what do I look for and where? Mine is stuck in forward, shifter will not move but all the cables are free on the tranny - how do I fix??? please help

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
can you tell me how, what do I look for and where? Mine is stuck in forward, shifter will not move but all the cables are free on the tranny - how do I fix??? please help

Welcome GHcolt. Have you checked under the hood to make sure nothing has jammed the shifter mechanism ? Once a tool bag had wedged under mine so it wouldn't move. Let us know what you see when you look there , since the cables are free on the transmission end, it should be either a jam or where the adjustment has moved. Good Luck bordercollie

doggman

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Doggman, I remember your post now and I looked and looked for it to refer to once but couldn't find it with the search feature. Tags really help with the search feature. I added a couple by clicking on "edit tags" at the bottom . .Thanks for re posting!!!, bordercollie

Last edited:

qhcolt

rtv900 tranny stuck

Thanks doggman and bordercollie for advise. I did search for this problem and read both of your comments from a year or two ago. My rtv900 was stuck in forward not reverse but I followed your advise and fixed in in less than an hour.
All the cables were free and working, I removed the 4 bolts, disconnected the wire and took the top off as you said and I instantly saw what you were taking about. FIXED it myself with my dads help. It was a simple fix.

Many thanks to you both.