All's well that ends well (or) Horses are expensive!!

shvl73

We recently had a problem with our horse. We board him and my wife got a call to come over ASAP. He had a swelling on his lower chest that was the size of a grapefruit. We call the vet & we're given some topical meds, no sign of external injury. Two days later, it has grown to the size of a football, another vet call. After more examination, we're advised to take him to the New England Equine hospital in Dover, NH. After preliminaries, we're told to figure around $1500-$3000.:eek: I think to myself, that'll be a 1 week stay.
In the end, a 3 week stay, bacterial infection - $5300. This in a very tough year, financially.
I can honestly say the staff & care was excellent. A first class place.
Who else has had unexpected costly events this year?

A couple of pics, 1st - an older pic with one of his favorite riders, and second, at the hospital with my wife.

Attachments

• 102_0762.JPG
    102_0762.JPG
    376 KB · Views: 294
  • 0927091105 (800 x 600).jpg
    0927091105 (800 x 600).jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 306

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Ouch , shvl73 that would definatlly Be a hurt to the wallet , But glad to see that it will work out . Thats one Gorgeous horse . Thanks for sharing & best of luck, Bob

Erik

ouch.
OTOH - Cowboy is right, that's a beautiful specimen.
What is he? Looks big enough to be a Fresian mix.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful horse. :thumb: Thanks for the pics.

I just got the bill back on my ZTR repair. I thought it would be close to 100 bucks ....nope ...more like 340. :eek:
I've had a few other unexpected bills all hitting in the past couple of months. Most of them in the 300 range. I hope that run is over and I can start saving instead of spending. :D

shvl73

He is pure Clydesdale. He is pretty tall, close to 6' at the shoulder. in the second pic, with my wife is standing near him, she's 5'-9".
I actually thought it was going to cost more. I figured three weeks, multiple ultrasounds, meds and some surgery w/ a biopsy can get awfully costly. I wanted to ask where we were with the bill but, I got shot down. She asked me, "what do you want to do, tell them to stop without him being well? We'll find a way"
I was thinking of renovating our kitchen, it sorely needs it, now it looks like it'll have to wait another year.

You do have a beautiful animal, lots of love there.

Last March my daughter started competing in the local church play days with my horse. We have discussed taking out insurance on the mare. I had only been thinking about injuries that would at the least, just side line the animal. Your ordeal has put a new light on my thinking.

Thanks for sharing.

Pompier

A Real Beauty

It's easy to tell when an animal is loved and well cared for. The shine of the coat and the muscle tone are two dead give aways. This one is a prime expample of well loved and cared for.

It's December, may I ask how he is doing?

I know the attachment that one forms working these lovable monsters. I used to work on a brother-in-laws farm on my days off. He taught me a lot about draft horses, especially Belgians and Belgian Mules.

He did give me one piece of information on Clydesdales though.....anyone know why a Clydesdale should not be used as the furrow horse when plowing?

The bottom of the furrow where the furrow horse walks is ~8" wide a Clyde's hoof is ~12". Puts a lot of strain on the legs.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Who else has had unexpected costly events this year?

This year!!!! The last 5 or 6 years have been costly. Believe it or not, it all started with a dog. One of our pound puppies blew out 2 discs in her back. Our local vet couldn't do anything for her but referred us to a small animal practice in Dallas. They fused the 3 vertebrae together. A week and $4,000 later we picked her up. After a long rehab she got back to feeling nearly normal until she tore her ACL chasing a squirrel. Back to the vet and another $1000 and more rehab. I used to tell people that she was the most expensive $10 dog that I ever bought. We had to have her put down last year at 11 years old. Man, I still miss that animal. She was special, at least to us.

I've never been a horsey person but ever since I was a kid I have had a big soft spot for draft horses, especially Clydesdales. They are Scottish after all. They are such beautiful animals. I remember my father taking me to the plowing (ploughing) competitions every year where every horse there was a Clydesdale. I'd never heard of that furrow thing before. Maybe Scottish Clydesdales have smaller feet. :) :yum:

shvl73

It's easy to tell when an animal is loved and well cared for. The shine of the coat and the muscle tone are two dead give aways. This one is a prime expample of well loved and cared for.

It's December, may I ask how he is doing?

He is well loved by my wife & most all that are around him. He's been doing well, no sign of any re-occurance.

This year!!!! The last 5 or 6 years have been costly. Believe it or not, it all started with a dog. One of our pound puppies blew out 2 discs in her back. Our local vet couldn't do anything for her but referred us to a small animal practice in Dallas. They fused the 3 vertebrae together. A week and $4,000 later we picked her up. After a long rehab she got back to feeling nearly normal until she tore her ACL chasing a squirrel. Back to the vet and another $1000 and more rehab. I used to tell people that she was the most expensive $10 dog that I ever bought. We had to have her put down last year at 11 years old. Man, I still miss that animal. She was special, at least to us.

I know what you mean. We put $5000 into our Doberman/Rotty cross's leg and he had 4 more years of running & playing. We would never say no, we just find a way to pay the bill. They're too important to us.

Ductape

Torin, sorry to hear about your horse. What a beautiful animal !

Thankfully, no large unexpected expenses here this year. Things are tough everywhere though. Its been difficult finding 40 hrs of work anywhere this year..... thankfully Whats-Her-Name is still working two jobs. The economy has hit people at all levels. I look at my immediate family and see one sibling's family going through an ugly bankruptcy (and potential divorce)..... and another sibling with a masters degree who has been unable to find a job since July. This holiday season more than any I can remember..... its definitely the year to be thankful for what you do have, and reflect on whats really important in your life....... and don't think about what you DON'T have. :beer:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thankfully, no large unexpected expenses here this year. Things are tough everywhere though. Its been difficult finding 40 hrs of work anywhere this year..... thankfully Whats-Her-Name is still working two jobs. The economy has hit people at all levels. I look at my immediate family and see one sibling's family going through an ugly bankruptcy (and potential divorce)..... and another sibling with a masters degree who has been unable to find a job since July. This holiday season more than any I can remember..... its definitely the year to be thankful for what you do have, and reflect on whats really important in your life....... and don't think about what you DON'T have. :beer:

Very well said DT. :applause: :applause: :tiphat: :agree: :beer:

(speaking of not thinking of things you don't have .... If I borrowed that back hoe in your avatar and did not return it would you mind not thinking of it ...ever again? :yum: :poke: :yankchain: definitely just kidding!!!! :D)

shvl73

This holiday season more than any I can remember..... its definitely the year to be thankful for what you do have, and reflect on whats really important in your life....... and don't think about what you DON'T have. :beer:

So true! :applause: