Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Wow Chevelle, that is some kind of steep hill side you have there. :yum: collie

Lol. When I lived in East Tennessee my house was on the side of a steep hill full of black walnut trees. It was beautiful but came with water runoff problems,mowing problems,walnut problems etc. so when I moved to middle tennessee I looked for the flattest ground I could find and no walnut trees. Fortunately the property I found is flat at the front where my house is and rolling hills in the back.

herman48

The first house I bought in Kodiak was in a low spot, next to a creek. A construction company, in order to build a Safeway store and a parking place for the containers covered up the creek with dirt and within days I had water in my crawlspace. It took me a while to get the authorities to protect my property (the U.S. Corps of Engineers was instrumental in forcing the contractors to place a huge perforated culvert underground to drain the place--the local authorities wouldn't do diddly squat!). Then I also had problems with my sewer pump. The house was below the main sewer line, and the pipe that went from the house to the sewer had an elbow in it, where grease, poop, toilet paper, etc. tended to plug up the works. I had to replace the sewer pump once, and had to have a plumber use a rotorooter to clear the pipe (a very long pipe, I might add) several times. Enough! I sold the house and had another one built elsewhere, on a ridge, about 40 or 50 feet above the sewer line. The plumber (the same one who had been fixing the problems in the old house) jokingly told me to stand up before flushing the toilet after taking a dump, or the vacuum created by the stuff and the water rushing downhill would have made my behind stick to the toilet seat. I never had any plumbing problems in the new house. Here in Alabama my house is about 6 feet above the deep drainage ditch on the side of the highway. There is no sewer line--we have a septic tank--but when it rains hard I am glad we are on a small knoll: the drainage ditch turns into a small river, and the back lawn becomes a swamp. Fortunately the soil is 90% sand, so the water disappears in a couple of hours after it stops raining. I don't plan to move any more, but if I were to buy another house it would never be in a depression or even on flat ground.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The photo of my front yard is a little deceiving. There is 3 ft of fall from front of house to the road and 3 ft of fall from center of yard to driveway. East side yard falls 15 ft over 100 yards to bean field. Backyard falls 15 ft over 125 yards. Definitely learned about dealing with water in previous location. Had a storm water plan done and grading done before building to avoid any problems. 19 years now and no problems so far. Crowned in the middle so drains away and to both sides

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Those are sure pretty birds Chevelle, I wish we had some but there just aren't many here.I saw 3 last year run across the pasture and that was it...

herman48

Last year there were about twenty of them that came regularly to my pasture and even close to the house. I only took one of them, a big Tom. Then nesting season came, and the coyotes and bobcats decimated the hens. Most of the year turkeys roost in trees, quite safe from predators, but during nesting season the hens sit on the nest, on the ground, and they, the eggs, and later the chicks are at risk. The damn coyotes are everywhere, and they are taking their toll of fawns, too. This year there are only 13 adults that come to my pasture, and they are also extremely nervous all the time. Obviously nesting season was unsuccessful. I never saw any chicks last summer. I can't use traps on my property because I don't want any of the cows that my neighbor keeps on my pasture to get caught in them, and poisons are illegal and unethical and kill animals not targeted, like vultures. I was able to shoot one coyote last year, but this year I want to get serious about coyote hunting. I am about to purchase a night vision scope, the Nite Site Dark Widow. I hope it works as they say it does.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
coyotes and fire ants are decimating the quail too. Even first time cow mamas are stalked by coyotes when the calves are new borns.. . Good luck taking the coyotes out around you . collie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Have tried hunting them day and night.......Wile E. Coyote is for real....very little of seeing them but even now during the day lately one hears them maybe 200 yards away across the hiway in a creek bed..............
On my game cam, all winter, NO DEER.........NONE.....previous years does most every night, with a nice 8 pointer showing up maybe once a week. Then during the day one would see turkey every day eating at the feeder in front of the game cam..................This year, none, NOTHING..........it's really a shame as to what has happened with the game...........

lol........Miss Collie, wondered and wondered what you were talking about Chevelle's yard...so finally went back and saw the pic.....YES a very steeep yard there.....God bless........Dennis

Mark.Sibole

Yotes devastate everything if they get to populated.We had a large group around here but some local people started to hunt them with dogs and thinned them right out.I went from several bunnys here to no bunnies now with the yotes gone i have more bunnies running around than ever.Ive seen around here a trick not so legal but if you have ever watched swamp people on how they catch gators?Same method for yotes if you have no stray dogs running about.I piece of chicken placed on a decent sized trebble hook or a big regular hook hanging about 3 to 4 feet from a tree will attract them and when they jump up to grab it guess what?
Its that or camp out one night with a nice 223 and night optics but that gets boreing as a yote can smell you from several hundred yards away. Good luck on the yotes.They are like a polititian in office very hard to deal with and get rid of.
March snow here today spring has to get here eventually im almost out of wood.Been through 12 plus cords so far neighbor burned 20 already been a cold ass winter here.
?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
March snow here today spring has to get here eventually im almost out of wood.Been through 12 plus cords so far neighbor burned 20 already been a cold ass winter here.
12 full cord? Wow, that's a lot of wood.

I burned through about 3 cord.

As cold as February has been both wood stoves have been running so much that my furnace only ran about 3 or 4 times for the month. Got the electric bill and it's no different than any other month which is awesome since I have electric heat.

herman48

Yotes devastate everything if they get to populated.We had a large group around here but some local people started to hunt them with dogs and thinned them right out.I went from several bunnys here to no bunnies now with the yotes gone i have more bunnies running around than ever.Ive seen around here a trick not so legal but if you have ever watched swamp people on how they catch gators?Same method for yotes if you have no stray dogs running about.I piece of chicken placed on a decent sized trebble hook or a big regular hook hanging about 3 to 4 feet from a tree will attract them and when they jump up to grab it guess what?
Its that or camp out one night with a nice 223 and night optics but that gets boreing as a yote can smell you from several hundred yards away. Good luck on the yotes.They are like a polititian in office very hard to deal with and get rid of.
with ?

I believe that the treble hook system is VERY illegal, as are pieces of synthetic sponge soaked in bacon grease. The sponge is supposed to clog their small intestine. Both systems, besides being illegal, are too cruel for me. Even if they were legal I would not use them. Besides, the chicken and hook method around here would probably kill some buzzards. Traps work well, but I can't place them in an area frequented by cows and calves. As to coyotes being like politicians, please, do not offend coyotes! They may steal a few rabbits, deer, and turkeys, but at least they don't steal our money, do not try to take our guns away, do not let illegal immigrants receive tax refunds even if they didn't pay any taxes, don't let Islamic extremists terrorize the world, don't issue regulations that paralyze our economy... Come to think of it, I'd love to see a coyote run for president. I'd vote for him!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I believe that the treble hook system is VERY illegal, as are pieces of synthetic sponge soaked in bacon grease. The sponge is supposed to clog their small intestine. Both systems, besides being illegal, are too cruel for me. Even if they were legal I would not use them. Besides, the chicken and hook method around here would probably kill some buzzards. Traps work well, but I can't place them in an area frequented by cows and calves. As to coyotes being like politicians, please, do not offend coyotes! They may steal a few rabbits, deer, and turkeys, but at least they don't steal our money, do not try to take our guns away, do not let illegal immigrants receive tax refunds even if they didn't pay any taxes, don't let Islamic extremists terrorize the world, don't issue regulations that paralyze our economy... Come to think of it, I'd love to see a coyote run for president. I'd vote for him!
Agreed Herman, A bullet to the brain or heart is the only method I'll use to get rid of varmints. ...collie

Mark.Sibole

Dont bite the messanger lol.Personally a bullet is the only choice but figured id trhow it out there.Im not sure how they act down there but in some areas up here they have been known to give children a good looking over. If they dont bother me i generally dont go out of my way to bother them.

herman48

And then, Mom, there was a strange sound coming from the hayloft in the barn: like panting and grunting... Teacher said it was a dog... but I'd heard the same sound coming out of your bedroom a couple of nights ago when you and Daddy were sleeping--and we don't have a dog!!!

herman48

On a different note: the ATV shop called me yesterday: my Argo is fixed and ready to go! Great! I was already suffering from separation anxiety...

Mark.Sibole

Sorry I havnt been on a lot or active.Ive been worjing on a new toy and tore up my left shoulder.Seems i have calcium deposits in the joint and tendons.Its like loose glass and painful as hell.
JUst waiting on a few more parts for the toy and it should be shootable the way I want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.