Have a Blessed Veteran's Day

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Veterans !!!! Your courage and defense of this nation has kept us free. God bless each of you.
I had said several months ago that I would tell the short story of a WWII POW I knew that went thru a german prison camp . He parachuted out of his plane with a few other men after being shot down. They were shortly captured. As one of the german soldiers marched them to the camp. He (the german) asked Hunter if he would like a piece of bread. Hunter said no defiantly. That was the last time he wasn't hungry. At the prison camp he had his US jumpsuit as clothing from the cold. He also had a package of "smokes" in the pocket. Oddly , the soldiers wouldn't take the cigarettes but instead seized his jump suit to get the "smokes." that was the last time he was warm during the stay. I don't know what he had to wear after that. Once during the "stay" a mule had been shot during an air raid near the camp. Even the guards were hungry so they all had meat for a little while. Thats the story he told us and it was also on local tv before he passed away. about 10 years ago.
Thank each of you for your service ! I respect each of you.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, very moving Judy. Thank you for sharing. Hogan's Heros put such a spin on the POW's in Germany. It was entertaining but anyone who believes things were anything like the show are crazy. War is hell. I imagine being prisoner is even worse hell.

Here are a couple pics of my ship the USS Butte AE-27. She took me around the Mediterranean Sea (aka Med Cruise) back home, then through the Panama Canal and on to Vietnam, then returned home safely. Ahh the memories. Salute to all veterans past and present. Happy Veterans Day.

Attachments

• USS_Butte_AE27_2m.jpg
    USS_Butte_AE27_2m.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 33
  • USSButteAE-27-3.jpg
    USSButteAE-27-3.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 32

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Docs ride was quite a bit bigger than mine.
Here's my rides from when I was in the Marines.
ah1t-003rs.jpg

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Of several forums that I go to regularly, this is the ONLY ONE that says anything about Armistice Day...….Sorry if you aren't aware and not to be redundant, for those who dont know; but originally for decades November 11 was celebrated for the day that WW1 ended...11-11-11, 1918 …….Anway a pic from the 68 places that I served for more than 30 days, in my 9 years in the Army Security Agency.....lol...ELINT stuff, would be way to much......God and HIS Angels brought me home......God bless these United States....Dennis