RTV Oil Change

XTROOPER

I have a 2008 RTV 1100. I have used regular Kubota motor oil because the dealer told me that to use anything else would void the warranty. I really want to use synthetic motor oil.

1. Can I just drain the old motor oil to change it. Is there some type of procedure to follow when changing from regular oil to to synthetic motor oil?

2. What type of synthetic motor oil do you folks recommend?

I am retired and will probably never be able to afford another RTV, this one has to last me forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all very much.

XTROOPER

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
.... ok, this is just me. IT IS NOT GOING TO VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

My next oil change is going to synthetic in our RTV . And it will be Amsoil. Nothing but Amsoil.

Now, we have converted many from other oils ( gas & diesel ) to Amsoil.
They have a flush you can use, which we do use on all conversions. Amsoil makes this.

*** The proper way we do this, is remove old filter. Install a new filter . Put in the
bottle of flush from Amsoil. Run engine at high idle for about thirty minutes. Kill engine and instantly while the engine is still hot. Drain all the oil and remove that filter. Let drain REALLY GOOD !!!!! (That filter you just installed just caught all the bad elements that the flush broke loose in engine.) Discard that oil filter and INSTALL BRAND NEW WIX or Kubota oil filter. Install plug in RTV, fill with Amsoil SAE 15 -40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Synthetic Oil.

I know how good this oil is. I have used it for years. It and the grease also.
Once you ever use it, you will never go back to dino oil.
Remember, Synthetic oil don't break down and burn like dino oil.

I have seen racing transmission that has failed because of the transmission having a weakness in th itself. Transmission burned up so bad that it discolored the metals
inside. But the transmission oil from Amsoil was inside. Never burned, changed color, or
even smelled like any burned piece of machinery. That was amazing to me .....

This is one of them subjects that everybody got thier idea. This is just mine.

They make many good synthetic oils on the market. Mobil * Castrol etc ....
But this Amsoil, is the cleanest and most durable oil on the market.
You Tube has many videos on this oil & grease. Got a little time, look at a few .....
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqvq5IHjHTg[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0tVQBB_MSg[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne7ayhPVVYY[/ame]

& many , many more.....

....... two guns

Attachments

• fox relaxing.gif
    fox relaxing.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 291

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Matter of fact, I also run Amsoil Synthetic oil in many things around my home. Two Honda Motorcycles, VTX 1300, 1100 Ace, and the Honda Rubicon four wheeler, Dodge Hemi 3/4 ton Truck, Mercury Grand Marquis, Honda Accord ES, Jeep Renegade, Z/T Lawn Mowers, and small engines around the shop including air compressors and generators. We use it for everything.
Sweet thing about it, you can check the oil way down the line after long hours/miles of running time, and the oil is still looks golden like new. Great Stuff. Don't ever smell burnt.

Cost, yes, seems to cost more, but in the long run, you save MUCH $$$ not only on oil changes, but the you save much on wear & tear on engine, which saves much on repair or replacement.

I personally, seen an engine that was torn down for visual purposes that had way over
200,000 miles on it. The engine come out of a wrecked truck and was going to be used in
a swamp buggie. This engine, had nothing but Amsoil run in it. Wish I would have taken pictures, for the internals of that engine still looked new. Like it hardly ever been run. That there sold me. Seeing is believing. That engine was clean as a bell inside.

AND, I run Amsoil filters (EA filters) when I can, they are the best. When can't, we use the Wix..... !!!!!
..... jamie

Attachments

• Bad_wolf.gif
    Bad_wolf.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i don't have an rtv but i run synthetic in all my engines it just plain outlast and out performs any oils out there.you will notice a diference in the engine sound right away and wonder why you didn't switch sooner.i diesel truck runs about 14,000 miles brfor i change the oil and when i drain it i let the oil runthrough my fingers and i rub them together just to check for metal or anyother stuff that might run out with it .the thing i noticed is with regular oil it feels like water not viscocity at all but the synthetic has a nice new oil feeling to it even after that many miles.i then take the old oil and fil up a few gallon jugs and use it for my chainsaw bar lube .my truck takes almost 3 gallons of oil so i get alot of chain lube out of it. ou could probably run the old oil through a micro filter and reuse it for emergencies.

cov62431

Consult your owners manual. If it would void your warranty it should say it in your manual. I have a Yamaha 4-stroke on my boat that I run synthetic in. When my wife went to a local dealer to get me a filter, he tried pressuring her into buying Yamalube saying anything else would void the warranty. When she called me and told me what was going on I started laughing, the dealer got mad because I was laughing at him. I reassured her it was ok and to get just the filter. When she got home I explained he was just trying to move his product, and I showed her "in the manual" where it says that we can use "any API approved oil" and it will not void the warranty. No mention of only using Yamalube anywhere. Keep in mind dealers will try to promote "their" product, it's their business. My 2 cents.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
they told me the same thing about my rhino but i switched to synthetic after the first two oil changes never looked back.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
the only time synthetics will cause problems are in motorbikes with internal clutch plates they make them slip and will burn up the clutch but sinse then thay have formulated a synthetc for them.

cov62431

These 2 pages are from an owners manual and a shop service manual. When we change oil on them in our shop we put mobile oils back in (not synthetic). I don't see any literature that says you can't use synthetic. We also use Mobil 424 instead of the Kubota UDT. It says on the Mobil label that it can be used in place of UDT. These are from an RTV 900, should be the same for an 1100.

Attachments

• 20110608070631199[1].pdf
    66.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20110608070720380[1].pdf
    101.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

XTROOPER

Thanks for all the replies/info. I am ordering Amsoil today. As always, thank you all for your time and knowledge. XTROOPER

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
the only time synthetics will cause problems are in motorbikes with internal clutch plates
And old cars with leaks... When you use dino oil there's enough sludge in places to keep it from leaking. If you switch to syn, it'll clean out all that crud then your vehicle will leak oil everywhere.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
yea you could be right but me i clean out my engine all the time and i check for leaks when ever i park it or change the oil and i also clean my engine with armorall tire foam i like it clean that way if i do get a leak i will find it fast and fix it. but i can see and agree with you about very old engines some people just never took that great care of them.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Not to be contrary guys; but BMW motorcylce engines before lets say around 1995, the 2 cylinder air cooled type DO NOT take the syn stuff well at all. Old BMW MC guy here and the forums on this subject are full of the problems involved by guys trying to use it. No it isnt the dino gunk and crud keeping the engine sealed; but when syn is installed it goes through pretty much like a sieve. Current theory is the rubber composition of the seals that the euros used just doesnt "seal" for the really fluid qualities of the syn. ''

Anyway, not to argue, but making NEVER and ALWAYS statements often have just the opposite ring..............YES I use the syn in my F250 V-10s for many happy heavy duty pullin an Airstream miles.............God bless......Dennis

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
I have been around motors all of my life and grew up poor and have made my living as a mechanic so i have the mind set of getting the most life out of everything, i too jumped on the synthetic thing and what most impressed me was when i put it in my Harley i had to turn down the idle, it freed up the motor that much! I have pumped many a gallon into trans/diff applications as a UPS mechanic and your seals better be tight. Cost is what everything boils to in the long run and this is how i look at it. For me running the synthetic is the best as far as reducing friction\heat BUT that oil like dino oil gets dirty just the same and i like to get that out of there quicker than the extended time given for synthetic. I have been in my share of motor teardowns and what i have seen is to use a quality oil and change it, for me the cost\dirty looking oil don't add up.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
OK.......So, yes, the syns get much longer use in an engine. Now, Whatscookin brings up an important issue. I try to change my dino oil in the RTV perhaps every 100 or so hours with a filter change at 200. The stuff is totally FILTHY, and yes I understand that this is a byproduct of the diesel combustion. Is this really DIRTY, meaning a loss of viscosity, lubrication, and free of abrasive particulates?

So, in the RTV, how many hours is suggested to run syn before the change out?

Thanks guys.......God bless.......Dennis

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
.... does any know who makes the Kubota filters ?

I would like to use a Amsoil filter in the RTV, if they make one. Now, I've been using Wix filters for years in equipment, and maybe that was a lucky choice. For Amsoil also carries Wix, MANN, Donaldson.

Amsoil Ea filters have a much lower micron level in their filters. Being it will filter more. I've always wondered if Wix made the Amsoil filter with the nanofiber.

One filter I WILL NOT USE, is a Fram. Had one come apart internally and collapsed. Costing me a engine in a Mercury Cougar a few years ago. That Automobile had less than 5,000 miles on it. Dealership could not warranty it. ( and I don't blame them ).
Would of cost me more in legal fees to fight it out with the filter company, than than to replace engine. So I traded it off for another car, lost my butt on that whole thing. Less than a year later, had a friend it happened to with a Chevrolet truck with 16,000 miles on it. He repaced engine and kept a rolling the truck.
..... two guns

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have switched all my vehicles to Mobile One synthetic. Even my old truck (93 chevy stepside with 199k miles on it). It had 160k on it when I changed a few years ago and I did not have any leaks or problems. Since then I also switched my 89 Baja 454 to Mobile One. Operating temp went down 5 degrees. Less friction. :thumb: No leaks in that one either. So, while I've heard that switching to synthetic in older engines can cause leaks I have not seen that issue in the old motors I switched.

When I switched I did nothing special, simply drained out the old oil and put in the new synthetic. No issues or problems from doing it that way. The Amsoil flush is probably a good thing but I was unaware of such a product and did not know of an Amsoil dealer in my neck of the woods at that time. Now I do have one close by, but I have not switched.

I also send my oil in for analysis once every two years or so. This lets you know if your change interval it okay, what contaminants are in the oil (how dirty is the oil) and how much longer you could run it if you wanted. Blackstone labs is great for this service and they will send you a free test kit to send your oil to them in. They have always told me I could run the same oil a few thousand more miles, which is good to know, but I still change at 7 or 8k to be on the safe side.
Link to Blackstone Labs: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

texasjohn

I use Mobile 1 synthetic in everything I've owned for over 30 years, gas or diesel. I keep all my vehicles until they just quit. I'm using Wix filters now, although haven't always. Amsoil was hard to find when I went looking for it once, thus I stayed with Mobile 1. Have never been disappointed and I do run extended oil change intervals.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
OK.......So, yes, the syns get much longer use in an engine. Now, Whatscookin brings up an important issue. I try to change my dino oil in the RTV perhaps every 100 or so hours with a filter change at 200. The stuff is totally FILTHY, and yes I understand that this is a byproduct of the diesel combustion. Is this really DIRTY, meaning a loss of viscosity, lubrication, and free of abrasive particulates?

So, in the RTV, how many hours is suggested to run syn before the change out?

Thanks guys.......God bless.......Dennis

Bumped this cause lots of guys talk of their using syn in the RTV; but how often does the oil change happen for you? Thanks........................

texasjohn

I'm getting ready to do the 50 hr RTV service. I plan to install Mobil 1 synthetic and run it for about double the recommended change interval. No science behind this interval, just my own idea.