RTV-X1140 Brake Issue?

ldkubute

I could not find anything related to this subject on this group forum so I decided to create a new thread. Note! I'm a newbie on this website, so please advise on any faux pas I may commit.

Two easy checker dash lights recently lit up on my 2016 RTV-X1140. They are in the lower left corner of the easy checker display, one for the headlights, and one for the brakes. What little info I could find says the brake fluid is low, however, it is full and clean. I noticed a sensor connected to the brake fluid cap, so I disconnected it, and checked continuity. It appears to be functioning properly. The brakes and emergency brakes function as they should, as do the head and tail/stop lights. Anyone else have this issue with the dash lights?

Thank you,

ldkubute
2016 Kubota RTV-X1140
2018 Kubota MX5800

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
I have an old RTV and think I recall having a similar issue. If I remember correctly, it was the switch at the emergency brake handle. I just joggled the switch several times and have had no recurrence since.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Idkubute:

Welcome to the RTV Forum. Come back often and share your experiences with your machine.

Did you find out what your 'brake light' issue was?

keifer

ldkubute

re: brake light issue

Keifer,

No, I have not resolved the issue yet. Here's what I've tried so far-

1) Looked for loose connections around e-brake as suggested by bczoom. Wiggled connections, but lights still on...

2) Stopped by my local dealer, and talked to the folks at the service counter. They said the reservoir had to be full, almost up to the brim. They even showed me the level on the floor unit they had in stock, which was full almost to the point of overflowing. I went ahead and bought a pint of fluid, and added probably only 1/4" of fluid to an already full reservoir. Unfortunately, and no surprise to me, this did not solve the issue.

Sure wish I could get my hands on a shop manual for this thing...

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I wonder if it might possibly be a grounding issue with the wire(s) going to it.My old RTV had a rubber boot on top of the parking brake switch. It had a crack in the rubber boot covering it and so went bad when water entered - button "rusted" up under the rubber) I have a very old post on here about that.
The hot light comes on instantly when I turn the key on my 332 JD diesel lawn tractor/mower., The research I ran across says its a bare wire somewhere. still looking and no findy so far.

ldkubute

I tried disconnecting the battery last night. After re-connecting, lights are still on. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the sensor on the side of the bowl is a gaussmeter that senses a small magnet that floats on top of the fluid. carefully examine the bladder under the cap.

ldkubute

re: brake light issue

Aurthuritis, you may be on to something! There's no sensor on the side of the bowl as you described. However, the cap has a post on it, with a sliding round thing I assume is a magnet. The post is hollow and clear, and a resistor and something else I assume is an inductor inside, and attached to the resistor. I uploaded a jpg image, so hopefully that helps If I'm not describing it clearly. Anyway, the inside of the tube seems to be wet with brake fluid. That cannot be good for the electronic components. I'm thinking of ordering a new cap, I just hate throwing parts at a problem without understanding the real issue. BTW, there wasn't any sort of bladder under the cap, just an o-ring that assume-ably should keep brake fluid from seeping into the sensor.

thanks for the suggestion!

Attachments

• RtvBrakeCap.jpg
    RtvBrakeCap.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 22

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
there you go. that round thing on the tube is a float that is supposed to float on top of the fluid. if the fluid gets low the float will follow it down and trigger the alarm or idiot light. take a multimeter and check for continuity with the float in the full up and down position. up i think should be open and down should be closed i think. i would fiddle with it and carefully clean with compressed air to see if something has the reed switch stuck closed. if you want to go old school then just make a jumper to close the circuit or leave the cap unplugged. what ever it taked to shut off the light. and check your fluid when you do your inspection of the coolant reservoir . oh and by the way!!! it looks like your coolant reservoir is empty????????