RTV 1100cw coast valve

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the 1100cw that followed me home the other day doesn't have a coast valve installed. my question is>> is the valve really worth it? is it difficult to install? is there another mod that works better?

Thanks all

DwRam

Site Supporter
I don't think you need to change it. I have come to appreciate the way it drives stock. Just takes a little getting use too.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Thanks DwRam. I have adjusted to it but my other RTV is an X1100c and when you release the throttle on it it has engine braking enough that you rarely need the brakes but in no way would send you through the windshield. this is what i would like to achieve if possible.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
OK after research it appears there was an adjustment to the existing valve that would lesson the engine braking,but there was a thought that it might cause cavitation in the pumps. this info was new in 2007 so i would hope that some of the veteran RTV owners might remember the conclusion. adjust the valve or replace with the coast valve??

sorry for the old question???

Kanook

I would be cautious on using 2007 info...the rtv went thru several upgrades or mods in the following 8 years and what applied to a 2004-7 probably wouldn't apply to a new 2015 model...

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Kanook. you are correct. except the model i am talking about is a 2008 model 1100CW so the information my be correct for this series.

Kanook

Ooops!...Shoulda' had my 2nd cup of java before posting...thought you were talking about a 2015 model...BTW, I seldom bonk my head on the windshield any more in my 04 model 900.

Rogerwh0

I put the coast valve in my 2010 and love it. Much better drive ability. My place is mostly hills and I have never needed the engine braking even pulling my welding trailer. My wife, kid and dog all stay in their seats when slowing down. They are super easy to install. Possibly the best $130 I have spent on my RTV. They still slow to a stop with the coast valve, just far better.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I put a coast valve in my '04 RTV and didn't like it. But, I'm on seriously steep hills and coasting is really a bad thing. I just got used to feathering off the pedal slowly to keep the dog and family from putting their hands and face all over my nice clean windshield. :)

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I put a coast valve in my '04 RTV and didn't like it. But, I'm on seriously steep hills and coasting is really a bad thing. I just got used to feathering off the pedal slowly to keep the dog and family from putting their hands and face all over my nice clean windshield. :)

For sure, this is the way lots of US go...........Just like Zoom, I live on some steep hills and it sure is nice to have that braking.

By accident the other day, with both my grand babies on board, I was headed home downhill on the gravel road kinda fast......Yes, they pester for the speed.........Anyway, going pretty good, and out jumps one of the squirrels I haven't shot yet, let off on the throttle fully, and WOOO HA........went into the best power slide/skid I ever did.............Looked over at the girls who ride with their feet on the dash or me holding the little one back with my hand on her chest, and, after they got their breath back and color into their faces said............"let's do THAT again, Grandpa"....................
Probably left a 40' skid mark in the gravel, went kinda sideways for a bit, easily recovered by countersteering, and then a full stop............So, yes though totally helpful and I want nothing more than I have..........YA GOTTA BE CAREFUL.........IT'S A MACHINE........God bless.......Dennis

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I read on the archives that there was a procedure to adjust the existing valve to just lesson the braking effect. there was also discussion of the procedure could cause cavitation and also discussion that this was an option from the dealer. the cavitation has never been confirmed as far as i can tell. i like the braking effect but would like to lesson it by half if i could without shortening the lifespan of the transmission. I also think that a little softer braking effect would make the U joints last longer.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do searchs for 'coast valve', 'speed control assembly' or the word abrupt on the forum.

There's a lot of threads that discuss this and what people have found works or doesn't.
Not sure how much the older threads will apply to the 1100 but you may get some opinions on how well it's liked or disliked.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I installed the coast valve today. now it has about the same stopping resistance as my X1100c. easy easy install and i like it.

Thanks everyone for your input.