Circulating block heaters.

Black Cloud

I was considering putting in a circulating block heater for my L245dt. It drops down to -40F here at times and is usually below 0 to -10 most of the time. I have a 200 watt magnetic block heater but I wonder if this will be enough. At present I do not have a heated shed. Would the circulating pump restrict the flow of the cooling system?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BC,

Have you used that magnetic heater in any previous winter?

It's been my preference to use the pad type that you glue onto the bottom of the oil pan. With the proper size (watts), it should be able to raise your oil temp up to about 100 degrees (F) in about 2 hours. The oil temp then raises the block temp. Having the oil warmed also gives more immediate lubrication.

I keep mine on a timer to come on a couple hours before I expect to use it (e.g. after work). That saves electricity of not having it run constantly. I haven't tried one yet, but they have heating pads that go under the battery. That may be something to consider in your temps as well.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have an L3400 with the factory oil heater.

Seems to work fine but we hardly ever see anything below 0 around here. About 4-5 years ago it got down to -10. Even on the -10 day when I had to move some snow it fired right up just like it was summer.

Only thing I really need for the cold weather operation is a cab!

Jim

Kanook

I've had both the circulating type and the standard block heaters in my 3 Kubotas. I've had 2 of the circulating type fail but never a problem with the block heater type. My machines need to start in the dead of our Canadian winter and I would not trust a circulating type again..Just my opinion..

Black Cloud

This is my first winter with this machine so the magnetic block heater may do the trick. It is a 200 watt model. The timer is a good idea as I imagine it would suck the power when it is on.