Transmission oil leak

Black Cloud

L245dt oil is dripping from one of the gaskets on the transmission housing. I keep the oil level up and check the oil level by the oil plug level indicator on the side of the housing frequently. When I am running the hoe ie using the PTO hard it drips out pretty fast. I probably should not ignore this too much longer. I was thinking of draining the trans. and cleaning it up and using J and B Weld.( an epoxy compound which does well in the heat) on the seam. Anybody else out there have an idea. It would be a major job to replace the gasket. This unit only has 815 hours on it and is a 1982 so it probably sat a lot. The front axles leak as well. I have just been replenishing regularly. It is a concern because I do not want over fill the front axles. As far as the transmission case goes if I over fill it a bit so the oil flows out of the gauge plug when it is opened I imagine I am not hurting anything.

Black Cloud

Well I drained the tranny and used a high heat gasket maker. It held up for about 30 minutes. I have not had any replies to this question, is it a common problem? For now I will just keep the oil level up.

urednecku

Black Cloud, sorry about no replies, but I don't have any suggestions. Hopefully somebody here will come along with a suggestion, now that the thread got bumped back to the top. Maybe ask a local parts store, or dealer, about some gasket 're-conditioner' you could add to the oil?
Good luck.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Same here. I have not 'been there done that' so I don't have a clue on this issue. Sorry. :hide:

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
No experience either, but, being a mechanic for other types of machinery I know you should stop and fix it. Delaying is eventually going to cause more damage which spells money.

If it's a gasket, probably and easier repair. If it is a crack, it really needs to be attended to.

No easy answers. Bit the bullet and get her done.

bcrockar

Did this model come with a hoe or was it added and does it have bracing to front of machine? All pictures I find on the net have 3 pt. on rear. Could the leak be related to the stress caused by hoe? This would explain why leak increases during backhoe use. If all this is true you may want to look at increasing bracing for backhoe when the leak gets fixed. All this said does not change the repair but it might help avoid a second problem. Good Luck

Black Cloud

bcrocker that does make sense. Perhaps a sub frame setup would be the answer. There was already some goop on the area of the tranny where the leak is so I think it was a pre-existing problem. Also one of the studs is stripped and I think this is where most of the oil is leaking from. Possibly someone tried to fix the leak by cranking on the stud. I am in the middle of too much right now to take the time to fix this properly. When I run the PTO at about 1800 and take it easy with the hoe the leak is minimal for now. Hanmey does not seem to offer a subframe with their product. This winter I will try and repair it properly and maybe get a subframe fabricated. The pole building is going up and so far I am ahead of any serious snow. Thanks to everyone for their advice on this problem it has been very helpful.