RTV-900 Best overall tire for snow plowing

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
New guy here. I recently purchased a used 2005 900 with a Curtis 72" plow.

The first snow plowing try in Michigan resulted in a fair amount of wheel spin, even in 4X4, with the OEM style knobby tires as the driveway has a bit of packed snow on it. Probably not surprising.

A bit more info, I plow about 1500 ft of blacktopped driveway between my own and a couple of neighbors that I help out.

I'd like a few comments on whether to buy a set of chains for winter use or a new set of more aggressive tires? I'd rather not put on the toothed chains as my experience with them on my tractor chewed up some blacktop. I'll stick with just the straight link chains if I go to them.

Thanks, Bob

Last edited:

BaiJiu

Welcome avanti, I don't have a plow on mine right now but many others plow regularly with the both WS and Knibbies.

razerface

i have never had anything but these,,, so nothing to compare,,,but they are EXCELLENT for me. Grim Reapers I think they are called. Mark will know!

Mark.Sibole

Grim reapers.I have them on my machine and they rock.Many will have different stories of their tires but ill stick with grim reapers for all of my machines.

Mark.Sibole

trying to remember who i purchased them from im drawing a blank but other members have purchased from them.Its the only place ill deal with fast friendly service.As soon as i get rid of this brain fart ill remember the place lol

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks all for the fast replies, I like the look of the GR tires. As a second question, what level of air pressure do you all run in winter and also summer in them?

Thanks again, Bob

RealtreeRTV

I have the standard worksite tires, they have "350 MAG OFF ROAD"on them. I plowed a little last year and was not impressed and figured I'd have to get chains.
This year I dropped the tire inflation from 20 to 14 psi, and can't believe the improvement
in traction. I've plowed quite a bit and have only had to use 4WD a few times although sometimes I'll lock the differential in.
(And we have have a lot of snow this winter in northern lower Michigan)
I also have about 250 pounds in the rear of the box for ballast.

Try lowering your tire pressure a bit, I think you'll be surprised.

Although I could still use chains for ice I still haven't bought any yet.

Hope this helps.

JEFF

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Welcome to the Forum avantiguy !!! Glad you steped in !!!!

We are running ITP 589's. They do great.

Sounds like you need a aggessive tire.

You need something with a 1 1/8" inch lug. Ask our friend bordercollie.

May I suggest you go no bigger than 26" ....

You don't need 27" .....

............. two guns

P.S.
ITP don't make the 589's anymore. But there are several tires and patterns out there with the deep lugs that you might need !!!!

Attachments

• RTV 589 Tire.jpg
    RTV 589 Tire.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 335

Mark.Sibole

12 pounds in the summer all the way around unless im hauling wood.Then ill go to 15 to 18 pounds in rear only so they dont squat so far.Winter 12 all the way around seems to be the best in all conditions.You wont be sorry with the grim reapers i know im not.

Mark.Sibole

Oh Grim reapers are a heavy duty 8 ply tire also which is a big plus if your gunna haul large loads or go over nasty rocks.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Here is some nice feet for your machine.

And they are good. Made right here in LOUISIANA !!!!

Super Swamper TSL ( left )
Swamp Lites (right)

...... two guns

Attachments

• Super Swampers TSL.jpg
    Super Swampers TSL.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 319
  • Swamp Lites.jpg
    Swamp Lites.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 319

Mark.Sibole

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tks2H2SWudg[/ame]
after 2 seasons of nasty stuff I still have the yellow stripes on 2 of them so they wear very good

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Mark,
They look to be a super tire. Thanks for sharing the video.

.......... two guns

Mark.Sibole

Two Guns either way you look at it WE Rock here lolHope all is well my friend and old man winter isnk kicking your ass like it is mine
alittlesnow.JPG