Snow plow recommendations

kas1263

I have a RTV900 and am thinking about getting a snow plow for it. I live in eastern Kentucky where we don't get too much snow but enough to warrant a plow. My dealer has recommended a Black Line and was wondering what the thought is out here.

T

Toolman77

Get a boss plow, I believe that they are one of the best plows available. They are fully self contained hydraulic system and you will not regret it ever. Just my thoughts anyway. The straight plows use a metal frame with a polyethylene mold board and are light weight. The V-Plow is all metal and heavy, it may be more plow then you would ever need.

1HOTDJ

Boss plow is the way to go. I had the Blackline and was not impressed. It works on an actuator that is slow. Hydraulic lift is the only way to go. It's fast and efficient.

Attachments

• image-1157631954.jpg
    image-1157631954.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 170

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I agree 100% with Toolman. Great plow, versatile and maybe more than you will ever need. I just moved bunches of snow from the latest 10-12 inch dump. My RTV 1100 in 4wd and worksite tires had no trouble at all.
Using this heavyweight Boss v- plow with a RTV 900 might require heavy front-end springs/shocks. Other 900 owners can add that info.
If I didn't experience heavy snowfalls and didn't have long country driveways to clear, not sure I could justify such an expensive plow. I would have to come up with other reasons to to buy it because I really, really like it.
Keifer

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a RTV900 and am thinking about getting a snow plow for it. I live in eastern Kentucky where we don't get too much snow but enough to warrant a plow. My dealer has recommended a Black Line and was wondering what the thought is out here.

A quick look at the Blackline showed a plow that mounts in the 2" receiver on the RTV. I've always been leary of that attachment as plowing put a lot of side stress on the mount and I can see issues with the single point mount.

My 2004 900 has the Curtis (Kubota) style 6' plow with the heavy duty Kubota that mounts the plow across the frame of the 900. It works great. It was $1700 two years ago from the dealer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have the Boss V-Plow in a Net York second if I knew about it when I bought mine and had the cash on hand. They are about double my cost and you get less snow Than I do here. My Curtis works fine. Manual angle, electric up/down.

But if you want the best buy the Boss V.

T

Toolman77

Boss makes a straight plow as I described above, it is a lot less money then the v-plow and is fully hydraulic. They are a beast.

cchaffee

I bought a used Curtis Plow for my 2005 900, i like it and it has served me well. If i was buying new I would definitely pay the difference and get the boss V. I almost did, then found the used Curtis for a price i couldn't pass up.

More talk about plows and we haven't got any snow yet here in NE Pa. Mine's been mounted since Thanksgiving, i have new LED lights front and back, and not a &%$# bit of snow!

Thought about trailering her south last weekend with my 2 generators....

...please I just wanna shove snow.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
More talk about plows and we haven't got any snow yet here in NE Pa. Mine's been mounted since Thanksgiving, i have new LED lights front and back, and not a &%$# bit of snow!
Hey, I live just a little south of you and have my snow removal equipment ready to rock-and-roll. (Tractor with 6' blade and ATV with 4' blade, no RTV plow :( ). Haven't even pulled the gear out yet this year.

My kids are past their "enjoy a lot of snow, let's go sledding" age so I'm not complaining we don't have snow.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I think the Boss V is terrific on the RTV X900. I'm on my second season and I am an experienced snow plower with a Fisher 9 foot on a F-350 as my other plow. I have the worksite tires and do steep hills with 1.75 miles of dirt road to maintain and use the RTV almost as much as the F-350! The Boss plow is tough and it has a good mounting system that does not use the 2" receiver hitch. I would get the heavy duty springs for the front end.

DwRam

Site Supporter
Between $3500-4000 I believe.

Attachments

• 20160128_102344.jpg
    20160128_102344.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 124

OrangeBuggy

If it would just snow enough here, I've have a Boss V Plow in a heart beat. If I bought one now with the little snow we get, I wouldn't live long enough to enjoy it as the wife would do me in.:letitsnow:

1HOTDJ

My wife gave me "what for" for spending so much on the plow & salt spreader. It almost paid for itself on that first storm!
Now we just need more to pay for the RTV.