Kubota just died

REDDOGTWO

Cultivating potatoes yesterday, the Kubota just sounded funny for a second, then died. The only reason I noticed that is sounded funny is you hear all sorts of different noises when driving with the doors open waiting for the air conditioning to be fixed. Checked the panel which is supposed to tell you if something is wrong, there is nothing to indicate such. Maybe the dark smoke it put out as it died was a clue.

Cranked it over for a few times, nothing, did not start.

Starting thinking, now what?

Open the hood, no pieces laying around to justify the funny sound as it died. At a complete loss as to what has happened. Tried to start it again, nothing.

Turns over, no more obvious sounds, has fuel, just filled the tank five minutes before, therefore it must start. This lead me to check the fuel filter which had just been changed 85 hours before. Take the filter off, sort of looked like water came out first, but as when you take the filter off everything comes out so fast, hard to tell, nothing in the bowl as far as gunk and water. Put it back on, still does not start, take the filter off again and check, same as before.

Go back to the shop, get the manual, metric wrenches and sockets, thinking that I will just try to bleed the air system. The funny thing is that I have never had to bleed the air on the Kubota when changing the fuel filter. Get back and look to see where it is at, do not need a tool to bleed the air, handy little plastic knob to bleed the air.

Follow the instructions, still nothing. It did try to start once, so I know that I am on the right track. Bleed it two more times and finally it starts and runs fine.

Do not know if a excessive amount of water consolidated at once to cause the problem or what. The first time the filter was off it did appear that there could have been water just when the filter was taken off.

The item that I will give Kubota credit for is the wrench less simple way to bleed the air on the system.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good job. Way to work your way through the problem.
Glad to hear you got her going again. Even without air it's better to have the tractor running right. :thumb: