Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cool pics (as usual) Mark. Thanks.

Thanks bakerg for the Father's Day wishes. Best wishes to all the Dad's out there.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a question for our Southern folk.

I was driving to Florida a couple weeks ago. Cruising down I-95 through South Carolina and on the shoulder of the road was a dead gator. Probably about 4-5'. Isn't that pretty far north? I wouldn't have expected them anywhere north of Georgia. I don't know if it matters but did see a sign within a mile or so that said something about a Natural Resources Conservation area or something to that sort.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I have a question for our Southern folk.

Cruising down I-95 through South Carolina and on the shoulder of the road was a dead gator. Probably about 4-5'. Isn't that pretty far north?

Does sound a little out of place. But nothing surprises me these days.
Or, someone could have just "dumped" him there.

There are many folks who come down south. Will pay for gators, or
catch a little one. And don't know what to do with them when they
leave. They will just let them go somewhere.

Could have been brought up there and released, the survived a few years
before getting hit on the road.

Crazy World .....

........ two guns

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Been watching a doe with her fawn in the field behind the house for about 10 days now. Amazing how fast that little fella has gotten in a little over a week. If mom trots he is right there with her and races around when he is out in the lane. Once the hay is cut will be able to see him better. We don't have many this year as a lot of the does must not have bred last fall.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That reminds me I saw a little fawn this morning. Mama was no where in sight. The little guy was starting to cross the road when our lights popped over the hill. Scared him and he ran like the dickens down the road same direction as us. He was FAST. Probably scared the living daylights out of him. He would not cross in front of us so I carefully went passed him and he shot into the woods on the other side of the road. Hopefully mama was waiting there for the little guy.

Heatwave

I scatter corn out beyond our rear deck each evening, then wait for the deer to arrive. Likely as not, they'll be waiting for me to sling the corn, then they move right in. It's interesting to watch their hierarchy in action ... moms definitely keep they youngsters in line. They are beautiful creatures and my wife and I greatly enjoy watching them.

Mark.Sibole

Full Solar disk from this morning
June19fulldisk-001.jpg

Heatwave

What are the black spots? And the near-white "rips"? Fascinating photos. Many thanks for posting. Please keep 'em coming.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm going on the wagon.

I had eighteen bottles of whiskey in my cellar and was told by my wife that I had a drinking problem, and to empty the contents of each and every bottle down the sink, or else. I said I would and proceeded with the unpleasant task.

I withdrew the cork from the first bottle and poured the contents down the sink with the exception of one glass, which I drank.

I then withdrew the cork from the second bottle and did likewise with it, with the exception of one glass, which I drank.

I then withdrew the cork from the third bottle and poured the whiskey down the sink which I drank.

I pulled the cork from the fourth bottle down the sink and poured the bottle down the glass, which I drank.

I pulled the bottle from the cork of the next and drank one sink out of it, and threw the rest down the glass.

I pulled the sink out of the next glass and poured the cork down the bottle. Then I corked the sink with the glass, bottled the drink and drank the pour.

When I had everything emptied, I steadied the house with one hand, counted the glasses, corks, bottles, and sinks with the other, which were twenty-nine, and as the houses came by I counted them again, and finally I had all the houses in one bottle, which I drank.

I'm not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I'm not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don't know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

Mark.Sibole

Sunspots are temporary phenomena on the photosphere of the Sun that appear visibly as dark spots compared to surrounding regions. They are caused by intense magnetic activity, which inhibits convection by an effect comparable to the eddy current brake, forming areas of reduced surface temperature. They usually appear as pairs, with each sunspot having the opposite magnetic pole than the other.[1]

Although they are at temperatures of roughly 3000–4500 K (2700–4200 °C), the contrast with the surrounding material at about 5,780 K (5,500 °C) leaves them clearly visible as dark spots, as the luminous intensity of a heated black body (closely approximated by the photosphere) is a function of temperature to the fourth power. If the sunspot were isolated from the surrounding photosphere it would be brighter than the Moon.[2] Sunspots expand and contract as they move across the surface of the Sun and can be as small as 16 kilometers (10 mi)[3] and as large as 160,000 kilometers (100,000 mi)[4] in diameter, making the larger ones visible from Earth without the aid of a telescope.[5] They may also travel at relative speeds ("proper motions") of a few hundred meters per second when they first emerge onto the solar photosphere.

Manifesting intense magnetic activity, sunspots host secondary phenomena such as coronal loops (prominences) and reconnection events. Most solar flares and coronal mass ejections originate in magnetically active regions around visible sunspot groupings. Similar phenomena indirectly observed on stars are commonly called starspots and both light and dark spots have been measured.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Whoa ....

That just went smooth pass me .

Ok ...

It's Miller Time .....

Attachments

• miller-high-life-lady-in-red.jpg
    miller-high-life-lady-in-red.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 126

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I switched to iced tea about 17 years ago but I know where there is a bunch of block walls with them 7 oz. pony bottles in them. They were good for a quick chug when ice cold on a hot day. 2 cases of them and 2 bags of ice saw many a block laid on hot days like this. This weather is like a dang roller coaster as we tied a record Tuesday morning with 39 F and today it is 86 and even warmer on the way.:hammer:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
t
Them 7 oz. pony bottles !!!!
They were good for a quick chug when ice cold on a hot day. QUOTE]

Oh, I remember them being so damn good too !!!
Twist the top off, and that small " Sheet" of ice would just crust over the
top of the drink. So cold, it could just freeze your teeth. It's been a very
long time since I pull one of them beautys down.
Used to run that cold bottle across my forhead and quiver ....

And then, Mrs. Two Guns showed up in my life, and then things changed >>>>>>>
The Honky Tonk days got shut down.
( But I still have dem flash-backs of the them little cool jewels. )

...... two guns

Attachments

• Pony Miller.jpg
    Pony Miller.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 115

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cajun inventor halts bayou erosion

Anybody know this guy?

Cajun inventor halts bayou erosion - an article in Business Insider.

Based on observation and experience this Bayou inventor made a prototype device to capture and settle dirt particles carried by waves. He patented it.

With the new BP oil settlement money available, government agencies all over the region may install copies of his device to halt marsh erosion.

Heatwave

I don't know him, but I enjoyed the article you attached. Interesting. I wish the article included some pix of the the Wave Predator.

I hope the inventor owns all the royalty rights to this patent ... it'd be just like BP to claim patent interests because the work was done partially with its money. The sumbitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.