tigerbay

Tigerbay

kabota rtvx1120D when I turn off engine I will have a small puddle of coolant under the motor does not leak while running. seams when I check after a cool down there is a small puddle. I cant see where it is coming form. checked tightness of clamps on hoses. It is not coming from over flow lines. There is usually no fluid in the overflow tank. Any Ideas

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
Moving the thread to the RTV section of the forum.

ovrszd

I'm guessing it does leak while it's running, you just don't leave it running in one spot to get a puddle.

The "overflow" tank is actually a reservoir to the system. It has a "low" mark and a "full" mark. Should always be fluid in that tank.

If it's empty it's because the leak occurs when running and lowers the fluid level in the radiator. Then when the engine cools it sucks replacement fluid from the overflow tank until it empties the tank.

You didn't mention whether you've had to add fluid at any time?? Also didn't mention whether the engine is getting hot or not??

And lastly, normally you don't add fluid to the radiator. It's added to the overflow tank to maintain a proper level. In your case I'd probably open the radiator and top it off, then fill the overflow tank to the appropriate level. Then continue the search for the leak.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Awhile back, one of the fellas, with one of the brand new machines was getting an unaccounted for leak like you are describing. It turned out to be that the hoses were leaking THROUGH the edges of the hoses. If that makes sense.........Not a hole and not around the clamps but the ends of the hoses someway were transferring fluid....Perhaps someone can do a search or remembers more than I do........God bless......Welcome aboard.....Dennis

Tigerbay

It is frustrating cause not a lot of room to check ends of hoses. Why would it not continue to drip coolant and empty the radiator My machine is just out of warranty to

ovrszd

I believe it to be a pressure leak.

You never did clarify, is the overflow tank completely empty? Have you removed the radiator cap to check level in radiator? Does the engine get too hot?

With the machine cold, fill the radiator by removing the cap. Then fill the overflow tank to the full when cold mark.

Then run the machine a few days watching the level in the tank. Always check the level when the machine is cold. If it slowly drops then it's a leak you need to consider. If not I wouldn't worry about it much.

One other KISS principle thing to check is the overflow tank itself. Make sure it doesn't have a leak.

For me, primary mission here is to protect the engine and keep the system filled. Secondary is looking for the leak.

Mark.Sibole

as the hoses have a fiber thread in them under pressure the fluid may get into then threads and then leak out of the ends of the hose where it is exposed.That has happened on some of the newer machines.I know it can be a PITA and leave some small amounts of fluid on the floor other than changing hoses and trying to elimate the bad or leaking hose.If it wasnt leaking a lot as in huge puddles is it worth the time to chase it around???On my 04 model i have no leaks and do not loose fluid or coolant i can smell anti freeze every now and then.I looked and looked and never figured it out so I gave up on it.I guess it depends on the amount of time you want to search or the ammount of money you want to spend to find the bad hose.Ive seen automobile hoses do the same thing as in leaking through the thread under pressure then the only place it has to go it out either end of the hone where it is cut to size.All I can say is get the machine nice and hot and using a black light look at all of the accessable hoses with it and see if you can tell which hose it is leaking from.Good luck on it.

Mark

Mark.Sibole

attachment.php