Proping the clutch for winter

I noticed in another thread yesterday that someone was reminding us, that now that winter is upon us and the tractors tend not to get all the use they deserve, it may be time to prop the clutch pedal. :D

I see that Dougster now knows what the little clip by the clutch peddle is for. That's been bugging you for a while ehh.:poke:

I was thinking about this last night and I rembered that Mahindra has a hand operated independent clutch for the PTO.

Do you guys think it matters if the machine is stored with this clutch engaged, or shuold those of us with this setup disengage this clutch too.

Just wondering if it made a difference. :rolleyes:

DK35vince

The clutchs for the independant PTO are most likely a wet clutch pack housed in the transmission. They should not be a problem as far as rusting together since they are bathed in oil.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Are all the newer tractors this way?
I had a little Mitsubusi 17hp tractor that had to be broken down to repair this same problem. I've since sold that tractor and have the Kubota now. So ...I'm guessing I have the wet clutch on mine.
How can I tell for sure?

DK35vince

I believe all the Independant PTO's that are turned on/off by an electric switch are this way.
I see Civesnedfield mentions a HAND operated Independant PTO in his original post. I missed that before. Not sure if that is a similar system or not.

Vince the Mahindra 30 series uses a dual dry ceramic clutch. So maybe it would be a good idea to leave the PTO clutch disengaged.