Here come the tomatoes!

N

Nicahawk

HERE COME THE TOMATOES!
I got a 5-6 week late start on my tomato plants this year, but there starting to turn now. I'll be overwhelmed in a few days. That's a good thing!
smile.gif

Tomatoes dehydrate and rehydrate extremely well and with good taste, so I built 3 more drying trays just for them, and I can use them for the cantaloupe as well. I still need about 5 more. That will give a total of 18 trays.

I started with about 33 tomatoes and ended up with about 5 or 6 qt bags that will so into storage in the basement.
biggrin.gif

I threw the scraps to the chickens.
cool.gif
(The chickens are another story).

Attachments

• Ready to slice (600 x 400).jpg
    Ready to slice (600 x 400).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Slicing tomatoes (600 x 400).jpg
    Slicing tomatoes (600 x 400).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Tomatoes on tray (600 x 400).jpg
    Tomatoes on tray (600 x 400).jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Chicken scraps (600 x 399).jpg
    Chicken scraps (600 x 399).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Tomato trays loaded (600 x 399).jpg
    Tomato trays loaded (600 x 399).jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Dried tomatoes (600 x 399).jpg
    Dried tomatoes (600 x 399).jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 41
N

Nicahawk

That's not good.

This is the third year of gardening for me and when things go right I get excited.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, good haul Nica. That will keep you busy for awhile. :D
Good work!!!!! :thumb:

PBinWA

I've got lots of small green tomatoes but it's starting to get cold and I don't think I'm going to get any this year. Our growing season is too short for tomoatoes most of the time.

N

Nicahawk

I've got lots of small green tomatoes but it's starting to get cold and I don't think I'm going to get any this year. Our growing season is too short for tomoatoes most of the time.

Well maybe they will come thru and ripen. If not there are a lot of recipes for using green tomatoes.

My Dad has been gone for several years now, but as a kid I remember how he loved to make what he called chow-chow using green tomatoes. I wish I had his recipe...I would make some in memory, I kinda remember it was pretty good!

Good luck!

N

Nicahawk

Wow, good haul Nica. That will keep you busy for awhile. :D
Good work!!!!! :thumb:

With 32 plants starting to ripen, I'll need help! Any volunteers? :eek:

This year the tomatoes have done great, but the peppers have been disappointing.

PBinWA

Well maybe they will come thru and ripen. If not there are a lot of recipes for using green tomatoes.

My Dad has been gone for several years now, but as a kid I remember how he loved to make what he called chow-chow using green tomatoes. I wish I had his recipe...I would make some in memory, I kinda remember it was pretty good!

Good luck!

I do like a fried green tomatoe and bacon sandwich so I'll probably have more than a few of those.

I'll ripen some tomatoes in the garage. They are not as good as the vine ripened but good enough for some sauce.

I'm open for suggestions on green tomatoe recipes! :wave:

Archdean

Good luck!

Chow-Chow is often confused with Piccailli in other parts of our world, were you looking for this ?
Courtesy of:http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tanya-holland/piccalilli-recipe/index.html

Piccalilli Recipe courtesy Tanya HollandShow: Melting Pot Episode: Soul Kitchen--Condiment Corner 1 pound green tomatoes, sliced into 1/2 moons 1 green bell pepper, julienned 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2 moons 1 yellow onion, cut in 1/2 and thinly sliced 1 jalepeno, julienned 1/2 cup salt 1/2 cup cider vinegar 1 cup light brown sugar 1 teaspoon celery seeds 1 teaspoon mustard seeds 1 teaspoon ground ginger 1 cinnamon stick 1/2 teaspoon turmeric 2 bay leaves 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves 1/2 teaspoon whole black pepper 2 tablespoons salt

1 pound green tomatoes, sliced into 1/2 moons
1 green bell pepper, julienned
2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2 moons
1 yellow onion, cut in 1/2 and thinly sliced
1 jalepeno, julienned
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon whole black pepper
2 tablespoons salt
Prepare vegetables, add 1/2-cup salt and allow to sit overnight. Drain vegetables and place in heatproof bowl. Place remaining ingredients in saucepan and heat to boil. Pour over vegetables and allow to cool. Refrigerate and serve as needed, keeps for about 2 weeks.

Archdean

Fall garden cleanup!

Started about two weeks ago by removing all the vegetation (this years) then sprayed round-up on all remaining weeds!
Then let it dry for a few days and today added about 10 yards of mushroom compost, tilled once then added 50#'s of lime and a small amount of 46-0-0 UREA and then retilled one more time and this is the result!

Will cover the whole thing tomorrow with black plastic to keep out the wind blown leaves and weed seeds till next spring and then retill two weeks before planting the spring garden!

Note: With the world going to hell in a hand basket we might need a garden more then ever!
Attached Thumbnails

N

Nicahawk

I added to the size of the garden this year and will again next year, just in case money gets even tighter.

Also, thanks for the receipe in no. 9 above.

Last edited: