Rock Picking

Wannafish

As it turns out we had another great crop of rocks come up over the winter out in the field. I took my '46 A and hay wagon out into the field and picked up rocks - just like GrandDad did. (Well, not quite...he drove the tractor and I followed and picked up the rocks. I did it by myself.:pat:
The ground isn't quite dry enough as I soon found out. It was alright until I got a half a load of rocks on the wagon. I was able to unhook the wagon before the A got in too bad. Guess I'll have to get the 6410 out and pull the wagon home tonight.

Mith

Do you just dump it in a low gear and walk along beside?

For hand picking stuff like rocks and logs I often put it in low range and let it idle along beside me.

Wannafish

Do you just dump it in a low gear and walk along beside?

For hand picking stuff like rocks and logs I often put it in low range and let it idle along beside me.

I tried that - unfortunately the ground has been worked up once making it soft, and the tri-cycle front end likes to wander...to the point the front wheels once turned completely around! I know now that when that happens I need a 2X4 8 ft long to wedge between the wheels and turn them back around into the correct orientation while someone rotates the steering wheel to get the worm gear "threaded" back into the segment gear in the steering box. There isn't much you can't fix on that old A with just a 1/2" wrench and a screwdriver (and a 2X4 :D ).