Looking for info on a log splitter

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great video!! Thanks.

After watching it, a couple questions and thoughts.
First, it looks a bit fast for my pace. Mine doesn't split that fast and wonder what the throughput difference is quite a bit different. I do run my engine at slightly over idle and it still keeps me at a good pace.
When not splitting and no logs sitting in the cradle, the DR sounded pretty loud in the cradle area and a lot of rattling. Is that true?
The gas tank sits up pretty high. I'm thinking fill with a 1-gallon can would be required. I'm too old (and short) to be lifting a 5-gallon can up that high.

When you're done splitting, are you throwing your chunks back on the RTV? Ergonomically, I'd probably be splitting right next to my wood pile. Split and on the stack they go. Alternatively if you're not next to your woodpile, put a trailer or 2 into play. Pull the logs off the RTV but once split, have the chunks be put in trailers. One off the end of the cradle (where they seem to fall) and another opposite the splitter from you (where the cameraman's side). I see what appears to be the bed of another vehicle on the right side of the video. How's that vehicle being used?

Thanks for the video!

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
First, it looks a bit fast for my pace. Mine doesn't split that fast and wonder what the throughput difference is quite a bit different. I do run my engine at slightly over idle and it still keeps me at a good pace.
Fast is why I spent the extra money on this one and didn't buy one from Tractor Supply. I think it sounds like it does because it's sitting on the cement apron in front of the barn. If it was on the ground I don't think you would hear so much vibration.

The gas tank sits up pretty high. I'm thinking fill with a 1-gallon can would be required. I'm too old (and short) to be lifting a 5-gallon can up that high.
Hire an illegal or marry a muscular woman. :wink:

When you're done splitting, are you throwing your chunks back on the RTV? I see what appears to be the bed of another vehicle on the right side of the video. How's that vehicle being used?
It's been raining for the last couple of days but I wanted to shoot some quick video for you guys. So I threw in a few logs from the wood pile and drove them up to the barn. When the rain stops I'll move the splitter to the location it gets used at. The other vehicle is an older Chinese (pos) that I bought before I bought the Kubota. It's banished to the outside due to lack of respect for the functional equipment.

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Got it. Knowing the video was for a demo changes things. I sure do appreciate it. I think I was looking at it with a very critical mind since I'm thinking about getting one now. My old beat-up body now watches everything with ergonomics as a key factor.

Tell me more about the Tractor Supply version. I saw them when walking into the store but didn't take a good look. I know DR is top-of-the-line stuff but didn't know the Tractor Supply wasn't that good. My splitter is a Speeco which is a higher end brand but Tractor Supply has the same exact looking splitter so I thought it was the same things, just re-badged.

Just thought of something that may mess with me on these... I'm left handed and therefore, standing on the near side (as the video was taken) is the natural technique for me.

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
I'm sorry if I cast a derogatory cloud over the Tractor Supply model, that wasn't what I meant. It was a fine machine (35 Ton) and in my opinion was reasonable priced. Also it can be used in both horizontal and vertical modes, which isn’t possible with the DR.

But it’s a hydraulic and a hydraulic by nature is not going to be any faster to return the shaft to home that it is to drive the shaft forward. It’s this “slow” return that I was trying to get away from and is the reason for my purchasing the DR instead of the Tractor Supply model.

The DR uses twin 74 lb. flywheels to generate centrifugal force that drives the shaft forward and then a spring to yank it back home. If you watch the video you’ll see how fast the shaft returns and is ready for the next split.

The home I will be building shortly utilizes an outdoor furnace and I’m calculating needing about 7 cords of wood each year. I don’t have a lot of time to waste if I’m going to have to cut 7 cords each winter.