My tractor won't start!

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I had to jump start it last week, it hadn't run for quite awhile. Yesterday it fired right up and I ran it about an hour an a half working the driveway. Parked it and a few hours after when I went to put in back in the garage I get the old ruh, ruh, tick, tick ............ I guess I need to clean terminals or replace the original battery ...................... :yum:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, sure sounds like time for a new battery. Glad that is all it is. I'm still on my original battery and my Kubota turns 10 this year.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I am glad it is just the battery too how was the water in it? I sure have enjoyed spraying with my Kioti DK40se this year . Your posts encouraged me to go for it. Doc, That is some kind of battery! bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think Dawgs was that old or older. I know I'm pushing it, but so far (I know I'll reget saying this for I'll jinx myself) it has never failed to start.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes Sir ree, I was bragging on my computer still going- almost on 7 years and poof the very next week! :D bordercollie

DK35vince

Hope ya didn't just jinx yerself!! :pat::hide:
Well.
I think I did. Yesterday the tractor started right up in the morning and after mowing I shut it down to fuel up and it wouldn't restart. Everything was dead.
I did a load test on the battery and it was toast.
Put it a new one and I'm back up and running.

urednecku

My bike did the same thing. It sat for several months, no surprise I had to charge it a couple weeks ago. Fri it started right up, rode to town, a 10 - 15 minute ride, shut it down & had to push it off. Went to Battery Zone yesterday. Theirs was over $50 less than AutoZone.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Got 2 to replace in the old John Deere. Looked at the date and they are from spring of 05. Seems anything over 5 years is borrowed time.

urednecku

I think yer right, muleman. I bought the bike used about 5 or 6 years ago...no telling how old the battery was then. I'm not fussing, figured it was one of the "good-uns"!!

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
FYI ........... I haven't replaced the battery .......... since my last episode I put a good charge on it and it's been doing fine, the tractor has been getting a workout the last few weeks too!

upsnick

Keep the battery at full carge with a battery maintainer that holds it at full charge all the time and there will be no more problems.... Seems like when you light the glow plugs and try to start it there is not enought power. So that is why the maintainer works great ----sell them at Harbor freight for $5.00. I have 4 running right now on my cars,trucks,tractors also as I type this....good luck..............Randy

urednecku

Just had to replace the battery in my MF 165. I guess I got one of the better ones WallyWorld had at the time, even if it was the cheapest. I know for a fact it's over 8 years old, thinking maybe over 10. It got where I had to jump it off or put the charger on for a couple minutes, then if I would run the engine @ higher rpm until the charge meter came back down to normal -just before shut-down- it'd be OK for the next start...today.

upsnick

Good deal, I know the battery in my Jeep has about 8 1/2 years on it now and I keep it on a battery maintainer. I know for a fact that a battery will rund down just stitting there and in the cars and the trucks its the stereo that pulls them down with memory and the clock in them. So a battery maintainer will out charge the car stereo so its stays full all the time and its only about the size of a cell phone charger.. Good luck Randy